Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ANOTHERHUNTER

Thread: Advice on design of 4.5x6m shed

Advice on design of 4.5x6m shed

Gotta knock up shed for abit more storage around the place, thoughts are 4.5 - 5m deep and 6m wide

My thoughts are 3x 5x5 posts along the front and back (6m span) and hoping to get away with 2x 5x5 posts down the 4.5m -5m depth, is that to much of a span to get away with not having one in the middle?

So in other words there would be a total of 6 posts holding it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Are you putting a conc slab down , If not id be thinking you would need 3 posts to the sides , thats if you are going to use Gerts (horizontal timbers ) . If you are going to make frames (studs with dwangs) it could be supported /fixed to slab .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

over 10 square metres you need a building permit and will have to be up to code . a way round it is use 2 20ft containers side by side and cut the sides out and lay corrugated iron across the top with a fall to one side . as long as they are of the ground on some rails they should last with a good paint job . if you go with post style shed see if you have a local truss maker and use them for no centre poles.local council here didn't require permit for containers if only used for storage .

If you keep an eye on Tardme searching for Trusses you can often pick up secondhand ones quite cheap

Don't know if you have a local scrap metal merchant but also steel beams can be had fairly cheap that may span the distance you want

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    over 10 square metres you need a building permit and will have to be up to code . a way round it is use 2 20ft containers side by side and cut the sides out and lay corrugated iron across the top with a fall to one side . as long as they are of the ground on some rails they should last with a good paint job . if you go with post style shed see if you have a local truss maker and use them for no centre poles.local council here didn't require permit for containers if only used for storage .
    LIKE, will probably be cheaper too as you can use rough containers since you will be putting a roof on it.
    BUT, container prices were pretty high last time I brought one.
    worth a look though.
    Use enough gun

If you Pm me this evening I can have a look through the building code and tell you what size rafters etc and post spacing to use.
    Use enough gun

have you had a look at the pole sheds available around your area ? Im just building one right now with a slab and garage doors,or you can leave them dirt floor. the kitsets are probably cheaper than you can buy the materials yourself ,unless you are doing it with second hand materials. the ones around here are goldpine and mitchpine.
    Steve123 likes this.

the kitset sheds through pgg wrightsons where a very good price last time I looked cheaper than goldpine and placemakers if you go that way.

I saved a lot of money when I built a 3.5x6m two bay shed, by buying timber and poles direct from the sawmill. All wall iron was 2nd hand, but I put new stuff on the roof. All fittings and fixtures I bought through trademe, a construction outlet store in Auckland - f&f were 60% cheaper than local Placemakers (unless you can get them through a mates trade account). Found a kitset deisign I liked through Goldpine, then just worked out what I needed off the plans. Scaled it down a bit though. Took me roughly 3-4 days to build it by myself.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

If your getting a permit you will save a lot of council trouble with plans by getting a kitset one. 4.5 - 5m is too far to span for the end wall girts you will need a center post in the end walls.