Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stug

Thread: Advice on a warranty claim.

Advice on a warranty claim.

Hi Guys

Basically I built my own home back late 2012, I clad my house in the *Particular* weatherboard. At the time there was a recall on their product for a defective batch of board with regards to paint application from factory, my house was already 75-80% clad and the work to remove all the boards and replace was not an option and Rep for the *Particular* weatherboard company said they would fix any issue if it was to arise. I had cracking of the paint on certain boards before I could even undercoat the house, PukePine sent out their painters to help me repair defective boards. They tried to have me sign something that they had repaired the boards and waive any future damage, I refused to sign anything to say the issue had been resolved.

1 and a half years down the track my 2 undercoats and 2 top coats of paint began to crack in the same spots as the factory primers. After backwards and forwards and onsite meetings with paint reps etc.. the PPG rep to a flake to test the paint coverage (which was plenty) they’ve put it down to my choice of paint colour. Resene Jumbo with an Light Reflective Value (LRV) of 32, recommendation is above 45 but it is not a condition to their warranty. This was a couple years ago the PPG rep made these statements, they said to get a couple quotes to repair the damage and get back to them. This is about the same time my father in-law became ill with cancer, so i put the fight on hold and got back on with it this year. I've seen these boards painted in Grey Friers (LRV 8) and no damage like mine.

Now the 2 paint companies I had to price the repair job called Bullshit on their claims of the paint colour being cause the same damage. They priced what was Specified from the PPG rep as the repair job, but both would not guarantee their work from future problems arising even after changing colour to suit. The weatherboard company have come back to me saying that they were willing to pay $4000 of the $8000 quote to repair and repaint. I basically told him thanks but no thanks for now and that this is BULL SHIT! So I'm trying to compile all i know and have before going back to them of seeking some sort of legal aid.

One this the rep doesn't know is his work colleague back in 2014 emailed me saying the issue they had in house was with their old paint supplier and the white UV seal not bonding with the timber, this is where the paint is failing.

Do you guys think i have ground to stand on that they should repair the damage and any future damage?

tell them full replacement otherwise you going to the masterbuilders and branz plus newspapers over their faulty product and bullshit guarantee .hope you still have email from rep.otherwise you will end up repairing every few years .we have similar problem our house was clad in weathershield ,a board like the old brown hardboard that is about 5mm thick anywhere that water gets in it swells up and seperates.was a replacement or payout for it .we bought house after it not realising the weather board wasn't real weather board.on council title it was classed as fibre cement,not even close.

Yeah i still have the email stating the in house failure and change of paint supplier.

I have their technical manual 7.12 (July 2012) that states the recommendation on paint colour. I also have their newest tech manual 10.15 (Oct 2015) which states that it "must" be higher than 45 LRV.
    Their codemark in 2016 states that it "must" be higher than 45 LRV in accordance to their tech manual 10.14 (Oct 2014)

I said to the rep I'd like to get it resolved so i dont have to go public with it. He is really only the messenger for the suits above him, but the poor little guy couldn't look me in the eye as i disagreed with him. 6'2" and 105kg all he had to do was look up.

Last resort I'd end up at Fair Go, they tend to be able rub people up the wrong way pretty fast but get results when its all over national tv.

SiB
    He’s the messsenger; so write formally to the company outlining much as you’ve said here, and give them a set window of time to come back to you with an action plan on what they will do, and when

Don't waste your time with Masterbuilders. From experience of my friends with a problem builder, Masterbuilders are completely useless.
    bigbear likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    He’s the messsenger; so write formally to the company outlining much as you’ve said here, and give them a set window of time to come back to you with an action plan on what they will do, and when
    Yeah that's a good idea. From your opinion what do you think a suitable time frame would be. 2 weeks from date or courier? some couriers can be shit at the best of times.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Don't waste your time with Masterbuilders. From experience of my friends with a problem builder, Masterbuilders are completely useless.
    Yeah had a similar problem up here with the master builders. they don't do shit at the end of the day apart from give clients false hope.

SiB
    First thing is you need to be on record for registering your current situation with the supplier, and specifically requesting they advise you within say 14 days what they intend to do to rectify their failed product.

THEN take it to whichever process appears to be likely to succeed; fair go, mbnz or whoever

Writing. No more verbals

Your key focus is “what and when are you going to make this right???”

Cheers for the advice SiB. I'll compile all i have, time line it all with the evidence.

I'm thinking about getting a statement from the ITM Merchant manager at the time stating he passed on the information regarding the recall.

SiB
    I’d be so bold as to draft a letter for the manager to use.

That way you can ensure focus is on the relevant details to your claim

Note on your file; keep it in date-order. That way your ‘story’ is easy to follow