Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree191Likes

Thread: Affordable housing ?

Affordable housing ?

Admins, please delete if you consider this post 'political'. Intended as a general question.

So, some background. I work at Work and Income as a Case Manager.
    In Auckland ( until I escape )
    As a country we've been encouraging immigration for at least the past 10 years.
    According to stats, in the next 10-15 years we'll have more people either on some sort of benefit, or NZ Super, than will be working.
    Obviously this is not sustainable, hence ( I assume ) the push on immigration.
    As a consequence of this, theres a shortage of houses in Auckland, and now as a flow on effect, other parts of NZ.
    This problem has been 10+ years in the making.
    Whats the answer ?
    The payment available to people already in Social Housing ($5k ) to move out of Akld, has been taken up by 5 families only. So that has been less than successful.
    The 'criteria' for affordable housing, is to build houses valued at $500k.
    None of the developers are interested, as they can build, and sell, at twice that price.

So some 'common sense' ideas ? ( I'm thinking that today it should be 'uncommon sense' ! )
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Reduce immigration to 5000 people a year for 10 years or so until housing becomes affordable. Simple.
    veitnamcam, Steve123 and norsk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    Reduce immigration to 5000 people a year for 10 years or so until housing becomes affordable. Simple.
    Does that include the refugees we've committed to take ?
    Once out of the refugee centre, they go straight to to top of the Social Housing list.

Edit
    I realise that affordable housing, and social housing are 2 different beasts.

Upon entering NZ, immigrants must settle in "the provinces" for 'x' number of years.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Maca49 likes this.

Reduce immigration? Cut it off completely (save for genuine roles we need filling here - not more "Chefs" and "Business managers")

Auckland is fucked, no easy fix. Either need the mother of all bubbles to pop (which would financially ruin so many lives) or for a long slow painful deflation.

Immigration and inflating assets (houses) are the only thing that's kept this country out of a painful recession for the last 5 years... Too many people using their house as an ATM.
    Ryan, Gibo, Steve123 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogfeatures View Post
    The payment available to people already in Social Housing ($5k ) to move out of Akld, has been taken up by 5 families only. So that has been less than successful.
    What is keeping these people in Auckland? What is the attraction? If I weren't tied to Auckland in some way, I wouldn't stay. For me it's an enjoyable, well-paying job, and good community environment in the semi-rural outskirts of Auckland. If I was unemployed or on a benefit, I'd go be on a benefit somewhere where the cost of living is a whole lot less.
    Steve123, Fawls and norsk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    What is keeping these people in Auckland? What is the attraction? If I weren't tied to Auckland in some way, I wouldn't stay. For me it's an enjoyable, well-paying job, and good community environment in the semi-rural outskirts of Auckland. If I was unemployed or on a benefit, I'd go be on a benefit somewhere where the cost of living is a whole lot less.
    You can get penalised by W & I, for moving to an area where theres high unemployment ( if you've got to look for work )
    Having said that, the people who are only on NZS do it bloody tough in Akld. Even if they own their own home, there's rates, insurance, general cost of living. I suggest moving, its 'no, my family are all here'
    My youngest lives, and works, in Te Anau for DOC. Stuff in the one supermarket, down there, was cheaper than I see in Akld.
    Stuffed if I can work that out.

You can get penalised by W & I, for moving to an area where theres high unemployment ( if you've got to look for work )
    Waikato, Taranaki, Wellington, Tasman / Nelson / Marlborough / West Coast, Canterbury, Potato and Southland all have unemployment rates lower than Auckland.

http://www.stats.govt.nz/infoshare/V...b-597f83c18e1c

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Good luck if you think Tasman would be cheaper, One of my old workmates remarked they thought it was going to be cheaper living in Richmond than the place they moved from (Auckland) but he says Dearer living here by more than just a little bit apparently
    veitnamcam likes this.

The only way to even start to solve this is to get companies to base themselves out of Auckland. All very well saying people must move out of auckland and settle elsewhere but there needs to be income there.

Shift the port like that were talking about, get industry away from Auckland.

Everything else is too small of a change to make any difference.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk
    tetawa, mikee, Ryan and 2 others like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

The 'criteria' for affordable housing, is to build houses valued at $500k.
    Could get a big flash house in Southland for that!

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Yes their families, fellow ex pats and city jobs. Most immigrants that I know would never want to live in Rural places. Seems strange to come all the way to another city but Auckland is still a lot nicer, less polluted and has a much lower crime rate than where most have come from (at the moment). Not to mention state funded schools etc

It seems that companies were having a field day hiring cheap and well qualified people for a while... Now many of those people wont come as they now understand that they cant afford to live on the wage on offer. I know a few well qualified and employed people planning to go home.
    stretch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    All very well saying people must move out of auckland and settle elsewhere but there needs to be income there.
    Its funny though, you often hear business owners in small towns complaining that jobs are available but its hard to find workers.

Some have been stung by the stupid housing market also. I know a few people people gave up everything at home to come here and find that they had been beaten to a house by the speculators/investors. Reducing the number of people would be kinder on the people who do come here. Hopefully chosen because they are useful and of good character... not dodgy and rich housing speculators/investors.

The refugees are only a drop in the ocean! I think about 500 a year as opposed to 60,000 general migrants. This sounds harsh but they are unlikely to be as expensive as all the older people who get in on family visas etc

Ejected
    Auckland needed some new highways so the guberment put a 5c a liter tax on petrol to build them. Christchurch feel down, five years ago now, and the rebuild has just barely started. Why don't they put a 5c a liter tax on petrol to rebuild it? If they want people to move to the less populated places then why don't they just invest in them?

I would move to Australia long before I moved to NZ. If you are going to live in a big city why stop at Auckland?