Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: After some IT help for home wifi & UFB

After some IT help for home wifi & UFB

So with Orcon, they have upgraded us to UFB and have supplied a wifi which has piss poor signal and can't make it 4m to another room in the house. 1 piddly wall we have @5 devices that connect to wifi and use regularly, all of them constantly can't now find the wifi, or if they do won't remember the password. Very frustrating seeing everything worked fine a week ago with the old broadband and old Orcon supplied wifi/modem thingy. The new unit is 1m away from the old unit's position, now located on the other side of the wall in the lounge. It's a 1920's house, with normal walls, no faraday cages nearby.

So was thinking of replacing the Orcon supplied wifi unit with a different one from PBTech or similar. Something that will radiate so much that the cat will grow an extra leg and no more babies for us (which is a good thing at my age).

Any comments/recommendations/suggestions for IT folks pls ?

d-link ac3200 ultra wifi router (dir-890L/R)

You could try a wifi repeater/extender

I'd have a closer look at the replacement unit first.. check the antenna is fully screwed in, maybe have a poke in settings and change the wi-fi channel that it's broadcasting on..

Cheers all. No antenna on the unit, have already tried changing broadcast channels but no luck

Hence the desire for some cancer-inducing strength wifi unit. The Dlink one might make the grade.

Name:  385099-d-link-ac3200-ultra-wi-fi-router-dir-890l-r-front.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  124.5 KB

It even looks mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    Cheers all. No antenna on the unit, have already tried changing broadcast channels but no luck

Hence the desire for some cancer-inducing strength wifi unit. The Dlink one might make the grade.

Attachment 49205

It even looks mean.
    Beam me up Scotty.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I run a Netgear WiFi Range Extender. My router modem is upstairs and the extender is plugged into a suitable power point downstairs. I get excellent coverage throughout the whole house and into my attached garage. Need to make sure you are running a secure system though. I can also see the neighbour's Thomson unit (100 metres away) in my list of wi fi devices. Is protected though so I cannot access it.
    EX6100 | WiFi Range Extenders | Networking | Home | NETGEAR
    This unit is good for up to 750Mbps. Not sure what ultra runs at.
    I also run a tablet (android) and have Netgears free WiFi analysis app installed. With it I can check wifi strength throughout the house. Not sure if Netgear do a PC based one. Useful tool.

Ejected
    Download wifi analyser and network signal info from the play store and check exactly what strength signal you are getting.

Hmm is there an Apple version though ?

Ejected
    Not sure but do a search because lots of apps will tell you the strength of your network vs the ones in the neighboring houses.

Ta. There's something shitty with the new unit as I'm picking up wifi from the neighbours but if I move into the kitchen, about 4m away from the wifi the laptop now won't find the wifi. Gotta do something today before Mrs explodes.

I'd complain to Orcon, sounds like a stuffed router/wifi unit.

however if you are willing to spend a little these are good units
    Buy the Netgear NightHawk R7000 Dual Band AC1900 Gigabit Router w/ 1 x WAN & 4... (R7000-100AUS) online at PBTech.co.nz
    "speak softly, and carry a big stick."

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    Ta. There's something shitty with the new unit as I'm picking up wifi from the neighbours but if I move into the kitchen, about 4m away from the wifi the laptop now won't find the wifi. Gotta do something today before Mrs explodes.
    Correct, ring up the call center to complain. Other than signal strength the other thing to check (which wifi analyzer should tell you) is are you on the same channel as your neighbours. Unit sounds stuffed to me.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Run a network cable direct to your Mac from the router. See how it performs then. If shitty its your connection, if not it's your Wifi.
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

We have a very average ISP supplied modem, with a similar range to yours.
    I plugged a UniFi LR access point into the supplied modem, wound it up to 1Watt output, and can now get internet throughout the house, and the farm buildings too.
    We are rural, so the nearest neighbours do not even see our AP. If you are in a built up area, you can adjust the output power, and use an app like wifi analyser to tune for best performance.