Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree19Likes
  • 1 Post By scottrods
  • 5 Post By stingray
  • 2 Post By seano
  • 3 Post By Rushy
  • 1 Post By Maca49
  • 1 Post By big_foot
  • 1 Post By Spook
  • 3 Post By Rushy
  • 2 Post By Josh

Thread: alcohol and firearms

alcohol and firearms

had a bit of a rant on fb tonight. It still amazes me that people openly admit to sipping on the rum when duck hunting. user may be on here. who knows

Reminded me of a bloke I used to work with who told me, that at opening a couple of years ago there wasn't anything happening so they kept knocking the tops off the rum bottle. They got so drunk that one of them stumbled getting up to shoot a duck and fell out of it firing backwards into the maimai. His mates had to dive for cover to avoid getting shot.

It's bad enough doing it - it's in the arms code but it's bloody dangerous and at a time when the cops just looking for an exuse to take your firearms away.

Nothing wrong with a few after everything is put away of course. Just not at the same time as hunting.
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    had a bit of a rant on fb tonight. It still amazes me that people openly admit to sipping on the rum when duck hunting. user may be on here. who knows

Reminded me of a bloke I used to work with who told me, that at opening a couple of years ago there wasn't anything happening so they kept knocking the tops off the rum bottle. They got so drunk that one of them stumbled getting up to shoot a duck and fell out of it firing backwards into the maimai. His mates had to dive for cover to avoid getting shot.

It's bad enough doing it - it's in the arms code but it's bloody dangerous and at a time when the cops just looking for an exuse to take your firearms away.

Nothing wrong with a few after everything is put away of course. Just not at the same time as hunting.
    Saw a saying not long ago ......

The man takes a drink

The drink takes a drink

The drink takes a man.

I'll put my hand up and say I've done some very stupid shit on the piss.... The beer devil holds me hard.. But guns and drink and good friends why why would you, going home to face a friends parents or partner and to live with yourself.

Please leave the grog alone when your shooting / hunting because you may be hunting with my son ,daughter ,or best friend. And I won't forgive you!
    gadgetman, EeeBees, Pengy and 2 others like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

After the night im having so far ...id advocate for ppl and alcohol mixing full stop ..(before you label me a killjoy ,im really not at all)
    Had some real muppets to deal with this evening !

Guess better work stories though ... And the ladies from calendar girls calling in handing out free admission passes ,helped pass the night and easy on the eyes :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by seano; 22-06-2014 at 03:17 AM.
    Savage1 and gadgetman like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Never at the same time but it is OK consecutively when the tools are in their shed.
    P38, gadgetman and Dynastar27 like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

P38
    Alcohol in moderation and at the appropriate time is ok in my book.

That said Alcohol and Idiots don't mix.

I spent last night out with friends at a Combat Kings event in Hastings, had a few beers then walked down to the after match at a local establishment at around 10pm.

Things were going great their until about 1am when all the Young girls started fighting, Nasty wee things too (actually most of them weren't wee things if you know what I mean ), followed closely by the 10ft tall and bullet proof young bucks .... the bouncers sorted them all out pretty quickly but that was the signal for us to leave.

It's not a good idea to start a fight in a bar full of MMA and K1 fighters and their trainers, but that didn't seem to stop any of them.

The bar owner apologised as we and lots of others of the older generation began leaving.
    Can't be fu*ked hanging around when shit like that starts happening.

As for Alcohol and Firearms .... Like Rushy said, That only happened in my family once the Tools were put away and the Dogs had been fed.

I also used to shoot on a large lagoon.

The bloke who had the Maimai next to mine was a Duck shooting drinker.

He nearly drowned in the mud and water one afternoon due to alcohol.

Long story short ...... During an extended quiet period he climbed up on the roof of his Maimai shouted out "Quack Ya Bastards" fired a shot into the air with his 12ga and was knocked backward off the Maimai into the lagoon. He was so drunk he could not get himself out of the mud and water and was floundering around.
    By the time I got over to help him he was near exhaustion and struggling big time.
    And the cause of his near drowning episode ....... an empty whisky bottle in his Maimai.

Cheers
    Pete

Should have let him drown! Alcohol and firearms don't mix. Remember many yrs ago going duck shooting with a new mate, I was offended and told him so when he produced a hip flask in between shots? The beer after we were back at the car yesterday hit the spot, I always think of it as a bit of a reward. Cause driving drunk a diff story and Big Foot drove home just fine!
    big_foot likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Should have let him drown! Alcohol and firearms don't mix. Remember many yrs ago going duck shooting with a new mate, I was offended and told him so when he produced a hip flask in between shots? The beer after we were back at the car yesterday hit the spot, I always think of it as a bit of a reward. Cause driving drunk a diff story and Big Foot drove home just fine!
    All in context really, theres definitely nothing wrong with a refreshment when you get to the truck, its bit different to getting turpsd up between shots
    Toby likes this.

Probably a good stiff brandy would have got me up that hill faster
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I hope no one on this site drink drives. Not even a couple before driving. Surely there are no Hypocrites here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    I hope no one on this site drink drives. Not even a couple before driving. Surely there are no Hypocrites here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The biggest problem with drinking and driving is spillage...the job I am on at the moment is a three can trip home, but I limit myself too two...which just goes to show I have some self discipline.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Probably a good stiff brandy would have got me up that hill faster
    Yea it woulda knocked you out and I woulda had to carry ya

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    This is an interesting comparison actually. There are several places where the Police-created Arms Code and Arms Act are not the same, and this is one of them. The actual law states (emphasis added by me):
    Every person commits an offence and is liable on conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 months or to a fine not exceeding $3,000 or to both who, while in charge of any firearm, airgun, pistol, or restricted weapon, is under the influence of drink or a drug to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the firearm, airgun, pistol, or restricted weapon.
    So even if it's a really dumb thing to do, it isn't actually against the law to drink and use a firearm, as long as you are still capable of having proper control of it. Just like alcohol and driving (except without clearly defined limits).

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Yes Josh. It is perfectly legal to both drink alcohol and drive and to drink alcohol and use firearms. The difference between the two is that with drinking and driving a defined level of alcohol in the breath and in the blood has been established (beyond which it becomes illegal to drink and drive) whereas with drinking and using firearms I am not aware of such a limit having been defined. In this event I think it is a good thing that many firearms owners have defaulted to the option of not drinking until after they have put their firearms away. It also occurs to me that in a society where we have established a level of alcohol above which it is accepted that a person can no longer safely control a vehicle, it would be very easy to argue compellingly that the same level should be accepted as the level beyond which a person becomes no longer capable of properly controlling a firearm. In other words if it can be reasonably argued that an excess level of alcohol is likely to cause danger to others from a person driving a car then I would contend that it could be reasonably argued that the same level of alcohol is likely to cause danger to others from a person in control of a firearm.
    gadgetman, Pengy and EK9132 like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Yes Josh. It is perfectly legal to both drink alcohol and drive and to drink alcohol and use firearms. The difference between the two is that with drinking and driving a defined level of alcohol in the breath and in the blood has been established (beyond which it becomes illegal to drink and drive) whereas with drinking and using firearms I am not aware of such a limit having been defined. In this event I think it is a good thing that many firearms owners have defaulted to the option of not drinking until after they have put their firearms away. It also occurs to me that in a society where we have established a level of alcohol above which it is accepted that a person can no longer safely control a vehicle, it would be very easy to argue compellingly that the same level should be accepted as the level beyond which a person becomes no longer capable of properly controlling a firearm. In other words if it can be reasonably argued that an excess level of alcohol is likely to cause danger to others from a person driving a car then I would contend that it could be reasonably argued that the same level of alcohol is likely to cause danger to others from a person in control of a firearm.
    And another thing in favour of the self imposed zero limit is that there is that the enforcement organisation is the one that decides if you are "fit and proper".
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Good luck to any police officer who tries to declare you unfit to possess a firearms license for drinking one beer before shooting. For what it's worth, I completely agree about the self imposed zero limit (I barely drink at all, let alone while shooting), and would be completely ok with it being drafted into law. Was just pointing out another discrepancy between what the police say and what the law says.

The police do a brilliant job, most of the time, but some of their attempts to enforce their own version of the law leave a bit to be desired.
    Nathan F and mikee like this.