Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Ali makes a Blog

Aly

Ali makes a Blog

So I'm in the process of starting up a blog, mostly just for fun, that documents a lot of the experiences of being a novice huntress in NZ as well as in general the lessons and stories of my many outdoor excursions. I already run a personal blog which has 2000 readers/followers but thought it would be nice to have a public blog from a New Zealander perspective of learning about the NZ outdoors from the beginning and kinda promoting what it's really like for NZ outdoor culture; from the POV of a girl who grew up rural in the Southern Alps and farming on the West Coast, who learned to tramp in the Taramakau surrounds, orienteering in Otira and Arthur's Pass, and grew up around hunting in the Westland bush.

Though still being a novice hunter (and will be for many years, I'm sure haha!) I'd like to share my experiences and lessons with people, hopefully introduce some people into NZ country and outdoor culture, talk about things learned being part of Canty University tramping club, about trips I help to organise for an all-female snowcraft group. Bushcraft, snowcraft, fitness and training lessons. Hopefully next year undergo LandSAR training which is a current ambition of mine... general adventures from skiing/snowboarding, white water kayaking, fishing, surfing, trail running, mountain biking etc. Also will be having guest write-ups as I have a few adventurous people keen to share their stories, and might make some article-type posts as well.
    I might do book reviews and gear reviews as well, those kind of things.

So if you're interested in seeing what I get up to - and for those who have supported me and offered gear and such, see how I get to put it to use! And also give me feedback or ideas on what I can add. I will probably do some promotion on the likes of NZHS and other groups/clubs I'm part of as well Once I've got it ready to put out there I'll share it below

Aly
    It will be under the name "Alpine Ali" which flows better than "Aly" haha

I think it will be a good way to help promote the outdoor and hunting community for the good heartedness it has, and all the good sorts out there!

Good on yaI think it would be good for more young people to realise there's more to life than the f##kin internet, PlayStation and winging about life Sure they might need the internet to read your blog but if it gives them some motivation it's well worth it.
    stingray, big_foot and Aly like this.

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by screamO View Post
    Good on yaI think it would be good for more young people to realise there's more to life than the f##kin internet, PlayStation and winging about life Sure they might need the internet to read your blog but if it gives them some motivation it's well worth it.
    Too right

Yep, and I'm coming from a farther of 4 with the oldest girl just about 15 who struggles to do anything unless it's for herself. I come from a working background were everyone has to pull there weight at all ages, it was just something that you were brought up with.
    Well I have always tried to make them understand money doesn't grow on trees but that's not worth a pinch off salt these day's, to be fair to my daughter it's not just her as we deal with lots of 20+ year olds and they are the same.
    My daughter wants money so she can go of and do things and buy things, so I tell her she can to jobs around the house but half the money has to go in the bank for savings, well that's not good enough for her, so she does nothing and makes no money
    Sorry Aly, I don't know what this has to do with you post but I would like to think something like your blog might give her (them) some drive to get out there or at lest say dad can I come out hunting with you.

Got a link?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by screamO View Post
    Yep, and I'm coming from a farther of 4 with the oldest girl just about 15 who struggles to do anything unless it's for herself. I come from a working background were everyone has to pull there weight at all ages, it was just something that you were brought up with.
    Well I have always tried to make them understand money doesn't grow on trees but that's not worth a pinch off salt these day's, to be fair to my daughter it's not just her as we deal with lots of 20+ year olds and they are the same.
    My daughter wants money so she can go of and do things and buy things, so I tell her she can to jobs around the house but half the money has to go in the bank for savings, well that's not good enough for her, so she does nothing and makes no money
    Sorry Aly, I don't know what this has to do with you post but I would like to think something like your blog might give her (them) some drive to get out there or at lest say dad can I come out hunting with you.
    I grew up in a small farming valley where all the kids grew up on dairy farms, so we all had the same experience and had a similar outlook on life when we were with each other. Rather than shops and playgrounds, I was surrounded by big mountains, bushland, cows, sheep and horses. But being so far apart from many kids (it was about a 10km walk if not more to my nearest childhood friend from mine haha) it meant that the "best friend" I mostly wanted to play with/adventure with was my Dad on the quad bike, or help in the milk shed, or feeding out hay/silage (stinky!) from the back of trailers. Otherwise I'd just be plain bored! Or I'd raise calves as pets, learn how to build treehouses, build clubhouses out of haybales, try to catch eels in the creeks, ride my bike on the dirt paths etc.... I had to learn how to entertain myself or how to just get out there and do things because otherwise there would just be nothing to do around!! Especially since with two working parents running a dairy farm by themselves I couldn't just be put in daycare or anything, there wasn't any around! So I think it's just the way we can see the world that we learn our perspectives, and also how different opportunities given to us influence our knowledge of how things work.
    I know for a fact there are plenty of people in the city that wouldn't have a wiff of a clue about what happens on the West Coast, on working farms or anything of the like. Or what tramping is about, or hunting, or how young people (particularly girls) can take part in it. All they know is of the life they get shown - if not a culture they see online and through media, which is what most young people associate with. (The internet is a huuuuuuuuge thing with high schoolers!!!! Incredibly influential. I can not think of a single person my age who went through high school without being heavily impacted by the internet)...
    Getting some exposure to that kinda style, whether it's from what they see online or what you introduce to them, I reckon can give them a chance to get hooked on it. I mean even schools impact how youth see the outdoors - I went to an area school that spent a quarter of each school year dedicated to agricultural education! Having to actually raise an animal and train it to pass school, or learn how to grow a vegetable garden. A school that also regularly promoted outdoor education - safety of tramping, bushcraft, camping, skiing etc. Then I moved to Nelson and went to an intermediate school then eventually high school when over several years the most outdoor education I had was a day trip tramping up Mt. Robert, because even the school camps I went on were very pampered and mostly just about "team bonding" e.g playing games.
    gadgetman and screamO like this.

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Got a link?
    It will be at alpineali.tumblr.com
    And I'll find a way to allow people to leave messages on posts. So far just a shell as I'm working on post ideas, photographs, maybe some graphics

Aly, to me personally "huntress" is archaic and is now synomous with trashy american gun models in real tree camo bikinis . I reckon male or female, if you hunt your a hunter.

Just my unsolicited advice : )

youre not a rotomanu/inchbonnie lass by any chance???

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    youre not a rotomanu/inchbonnie lass by any chance???
    Maaaaaaaaybeeeeeeeeee

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by JRW87 View Post
    Aly, to me personally "huntress" is archaic and is now synomous with trashy american gun models in real tree camo bikinis . I reckon male or female, if you hunt your a hunter.

Haha, I do see your point!!!

Home - mainland nz, actual - could be anywhere...
    Quote Originally Posted by JRW87 View Post

But bikini photos are always welcome !

However, i do agree
    Toby likes this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    But bikini photos are always welcome !

However, i do agree
    Well I don't have none of those. Rather impractical for the alps!
    Beaker likes this.

Home - mainland nz, actual - could be anywhere...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aly View Post
    Well I don't have none of those. Rather impractical for the alps!
    Well i guess, photos with no bikini are ok to...
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....