Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Am I expecting too much?

Am I expecting too much?

Interested in the forums opinions on this.

My son tells a kid who is being a dick while their volleyball coach is trying to explain something to “shut the fuck up”.
    The kid blindsides him with a punch to the head which causes a diagnosed concussion.
    he missed four days of school including practice exams due to headaches and dizziness.
    The puncher gets stood down for 2 days. That’s it.
    My kid doesn’t want to play volleyball anymore if this thug keeps getting to play (this is his 4th concussion(other 3 were rugby) and he is shitting himself that the next one might be a wheelchair and pissing through a tube.
    They are both 15.

Is it unreasonable to insist that the little pricks gets kicked of the team?

No.

Talk to the school and the police. Violent assault is a legal matter .
    300CALMAN likes this.

SiB
    It’s an assault

Contact the chair of the board of governors

Whilst technically they’re not involved, play the “im dissatisfied the way the school has handled this do I talk to you or should I speak with the police and the ministry of ed??,”

It’s bullying.

If they try to fob you off, contact the media. Have a prepared statement and a clear accurate and factual account of what exactly has transpired

Stick to the facts.

I’d be livid if it happened to one of my kin.
    mikee, timattalon and TianBotha like this.

I'd be most worried about your son's 4 concussions.
    Barefoot, 199p, Steve123 and 2 others like this.

Hope your sons ok and recovers soon.

This is not the good old days.
    So yes the school needs to pull there heads out of there ass. Not much of a punishment if the kids still on the team....
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I'd be most worried about your son's 4 concussions.
    You have no idea mate. It’s resulted in some real mental health issues and depression.
    We worry every time he walks out the door.
    Having said that I am trying not to focus to much on his susceptibility in this case. Rather on what actually happened.

Bit of an over reaction from the kid that whacked him, does the kid have a history of hitting other kids for piss all? Probably could do with a stern cuddle.
    Hope your boy cheers up soon take him shooting! that would cheer me up!
    timattalon likes this.
    Use enough gun

SiB
    There’s significant case law IIRC related to the consequences of what the defence argued was not a hard punch.

Bottom line is you have a clear case of acting with intent to cause harm. There’s your mens rea. That in this case your sons medical/personal health appears to be significantly affected is a factor.

The school has clearly mismanaged the situation. In fairness the senior management need an opportunity to revisit the situation; if they remain staunch step it up. A fifteen year old kid has assaulted another, resulting in significant harm and potential long term consequences.

This must be made the schools problem to resolve.

Justice must be seen to be done. And done to be seen.

Keep notes of every conversation with the school. Take notes.

I’m ex Dunedin and would venture a guess (not publicly) which school(s) are probably involved.

Sports context is no defence. Think our ABs. This is not a permissible stunt for any sportsperson fullstop.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I am sorry for being the un PC old prick that I am but for fuck sake someone needs to deck the little snot.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    I am sorry for being the un PC old prick that I am but for fuck sake someone needs to deck the little snot.
    Ah rushy the days of the local copper giving you a wack and taking you home to get another from your father have gone - all replaced with a wet fish (mind you a wet kingfish may actually hurt)

my son got kicked out of high school for a single punch..... it was face to face confrontation.... yip he is NOW a little prick but wasnt so much back then....school board decided they "had to do it" for safety of other pupils...... 2 days stood down is a joke.. kicked off team,he should be excluded from the school.
    outlander likes this.

Gkp
    Not cool
    See if your son would be interested in going to a jujutsu (or similar)intro class. Maybe you could join him.
    Could be a lot of fun and if he gets into it he would gain a lot of confidence.
    outlander likes this.

Who cares what strangers (the forum) think. You're the parent, act accordingly.
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Who cares what strangers (the forum) think. You're the parent, act accordingly.
    yeah nah...doesnt work like that anymore....go and have a wee chat with the little prick yourself and good bye to FAL could be on the cards...plenty of cases of parents trying to step in and getting charged with something or another....
    the OP is I believe trying to judge what is fair and reasonable by asking others who arent emotionally involved.