Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Amazing things you have seen in nature

Amazing things you have seen in nature

To kick this off: I remember turning to watch a big group of birds feeding in a paddock after hearing the call of a Falcon.
    The birds were mostly Black birds with a few sundry Thrushes, finches a handful of Lapwings ( AKA plovers) and one lone Parrie drake - he was alone because of my efforts to 'clear the flats' of Parries that would fly up the valley in the mornings warning its inhabitants of my approach.
    Anyway the Falcon came scorching in low over the trees and screeched at the right time so all poor bastards feeding took fright and then flight. Mr Falcon then engulfed a feeding plover and hit the deck with it, rolled a couple of times and got on top of the situation. Meanwhile the Parrie Drake seeing all of this flew back then directly upwards like a Harrier Jump Jet. When he was a good 30 metres up he 180ed in mid air and flew hard, straight down, and Bombed the plover clutching Falcon with a pillow filling explosion of feathers !!. The falcon and plover were blown apart with the impact and the Parrie wasn't flash but all hobbled off with no obvious breakages and took wing after getting over the shock / concussion. The Lapwing was the last to leave but that was fair enough since he got chewed to boot.
    Brian, EeeBees, Sako 243 and 7 others like this.
    'Bother' said Pooh, as he chambered another round ... Wong Far King Way

Here are a couple of videos I took up Ruapehu. One of water running under a sheet of ice and one of ice crystals forming on a small stream.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6_rzht3l-E
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-IScpnqchw
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Twice in the space of 5 minutes- I watched a kingfisher fly 30 metres like an arrow towards a black bird standing on the lawn and steal a freshly caught worm out of its beak. The funny part was the black bird didnít even seem to notice!
    Shearer, Moa Hunter and planenutz like this.

Have watched a similar situation when I was in Uruguay, a pair of hawks hunting other birds. There is a green parrot over there that is everywhere, almost plague proportions, they call it simply "Loro Verde" (Green parrot) and they are about the size of a cockatiel. We had a stand of eucalyptus in the paddock beside our house and each evening hundreds of these noisy green buggers would return to this stand of trees to roost for the night, they would make a real racket squawking untill darkness fell.
    One evening they were all out there squawking and carrying on and all of a sudden they went silent. I thought that was strange so I went outside to have a look what was going on. Two hawks had turned up, I'm guessing they were a breeding pair, and were circling above the stand of trees. One of the hawks proceeded to land in the paddock near the trees and the other one started the assault, he would fly up high then come screaming down and through the trees at a great rate of knots, each time it would be all a bit too much for a few of the more nervous parrots and some would take flight, then the hawk in the air would bank hard and come flying back and knock one out mid-air, the parrot would fall to the ground and the ground-hawk would scoot over and finish it off, pick it up and fly back to its waiting spot. They did this 4 or 5 times untill the ground hawk had a nice little pile of parrots to eat, then the air hawk came down and they proceeded to enjoy a meal together. Pretty cool watching animals work together like that.
    #30GANG....

Also as an addition to the hawk story, was in the workshop at our farm in Culverden working away on something and there was this almighty WHOOOOSH! Followed by a bit of commotion and a blur heading out the open roller door. A NZ falcon had turned up and he would sit on the silage wagon outside biding his time then when he had made them nervous enough a pigeon would take flight to try escape the shed and he would strike, come hooning into the shed at a million miles an hour, bank 90 degrees and take out the fleeing pigeon mid-flight and return to his roost on the silage wagon to survey the damage, pigeon would fall to the ground and the falcon would come hopping back in on foot and claim his prize. Watched him do it several times, pretty awesome!
    #30GANG....

Was out spotlighting for little critters last weekend and there was a full on boxing match between two here's pot the light on them and they still went at it for a solid minute.
    The looser ran off and the winner got dead.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Shootm, gadgetman, Shearer and 2 others like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    Was out spotlighting for little critters last weekend and there was a full on boxing match between two here's pot the light on them and they still went at it for a solid minute.
    The looser ran off and the winner got dead.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Natural selection I guess???
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Here are a couple of videos I took up Ruapehu. One of water running under a sheet of ice and one of ice crystals forming on a small stream.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6_rzht3l-E
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-IScpnqchw
    That was great, not something that many people would take time to stop and film. 10/10

Sitting having smoko on a ski road, saw a kea fly past 200m above me thought that's Kool, falcon came out of nowhere and hit the kea, they then fell 400m vertical in a dogfight into the valley below. Didn't see what the outcome was

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Sitting having smoko on a ski road, saw a kea fly past 200m above me thought that's Kool, falcon came out of nowhere and hit the kea, they then fell 400m vertical in a dogfight into the valley below. Didn't see what the outcome was
    Another pillow case full of feathers ??
    xtightg likes this.

In February this year I was moving a mob of about 20 Elk bulls into another paddock. Gates linked together into the laneway, me on the four wheeler. A good sized Hare poked his head up, located the bike and then raced across the paddock to the group of moving Elk Bulls. He ran into the melee and kept with them across the last third of the paddock then right down the lane running with them in the middle of the mob. They weren't going fast just a steady trot and the cunning bastard kept the same pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Another pillow case full of feathers ??
    Would have made a nice cloak out of the colours....
    Moa Hunter likes this.

There are many wonderful vistas and things I have witnessed in the bush, but watching a pair of tomtits building their nest was just fabulous ...
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Saw a spider weave a web once. From start to finish and not a single mistake.
    Shearer and nightowl52 like this.

I always liked finding Butcher Bird's larders in the veld
    EeeBees likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt