Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Knives Africa

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

another what boots thread

so my merrals have fallen apart and havnt had much use looking at a couple of cheap options and yes I know you pay for what you get are the hunters elements any good for north island hunting usually bush or are they crap or thinking army and outdoors boots of some kind im pretty easy on my footwhere cheers nd

Keep a eye out on trademe. I brought a brand new pair of asolo's for $150. There are a lot of boots worn a couple times wrong sizing that are sold off cheap.
    Just a thought

I got a pair of french army surplus ranger boots several years ago and they've been awesome. Still look brand new when i clean them up despite years of hard use.
    "A party without cake is just a meeting" - Juila Child

@Sarvo might be able to sort you out

I got a pair of Gri sport Aoraki's on special at H&F 3 years ago and they've stunned me actually!

Worth a look - Also Dressmart Kathmandu had 25%/50%+ off Salomon GTX's couple of weeks ago when i was in there in late June. I rate those too as i have a pair that have lasted almost 10 years...
    Last edited by Carpe Diem; 06-07-2018 at 02:12 PM. Reason: missed word

I struggle with footwear ( fallen arches I think) , but fortunately I found a pair of Irish setters, they have worked pretty well for me.

I've tried a lot of boots over the years, and even most of the higher end stuff won't last longer than 2-3 years with regular use, the wet dry wet dry type scenario ruins them. In saying that, with the boots I've tried in recent years, I've found that the tread wears out before the actual boots do. For the hunting I do, once the tread wears out, I consider the boots to be pretty useless (dangerous and slippery).

Currently I am using four different makes, Bestard Coto (3.5 years old - resoled earlier this year), Gronell Tibets (12 months old, well used), Hanwag Alaska (three years old starting to fail) and Stein (two year old forestry boots - worn daily). All fit differently, but most importantly they are all comfortable.

So try some boots out if you can, and pick some that are comfortable as can be straight out of the box. Most of the higher end stuff is pretty comparable when it comes to quality and durability. Also seriously consider the type of hunting or use you will put them through and look for the pair that's most suited for that type of use. Pretty tough going in the big country in flimsy boots, yet bush stalking in 3/4 shank boots is a pain in the arse.

Then if you want to be a tight bugger like me, wait to you see some on trademe in your size and grab them, there are alot of great deals to be had if you are patient. I scored an as new pair of Gronell Tibets earlier this week for $250, third pair of these I have had and I really like them. They used to retail for $600 or more new through farmlands...so pretty happy about scoring them.

On a side note, stay away from the Hunters Element ones. I reviewed a pair way back and while they suited a purpose, for full on use they crumbled pretty quickly. My mate has had his H.E Zulus replaced a couple of times because of premature failure under easy use.
    Last edited by JoshC; 06-07-2018 at 04:42 PM.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.