Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Any tips on a holiday in Hawaii?

Any tips on a holiday in Hawaii?

The wife and I are about to book a trip to Hawaii, all I care about is going to Pearl Harbour.

Anyone know any go places to go, stay, eat, museums etc? I have in interest in maritime warfare so hoping there are some decent museums over there.

Apparently the pearl harbour bit is very good. Underwater viewing platforms etc

How long are you planning on being there???

Pearl Harbor should satisfy your warmongering interest but being there summer it could be very busy. You can easily do everything at Pearl in a day. The big MO has a shitload of history on that one boat but they don't let you down stairs which would be bloody interesting.

Depends what you want to do, it caters for any budget. Plenty of hotels to choose from.
    Get on the net and check out the hotels on the other side of the island and other islands, just depends on how long you are staying.

Only going for a week or so and not going until May to avoid their busy season. Are there any naval warfare museums?

Aloha stadium if there's a game on! Good gun shops! Nice beach but the coral was hard on your feet, look at shoes, Haumarama? bay, BIG surf, sunset beach for the pipeline, there's another bay that's a reserve, awesome snorkelling, and swimming with the turtles, good food, cheap beer, good pubs ,nice looking hookers, friendly natives, great shopping, shit exchange rate, close to Disneyland. And macadamia nut ice cream wow, Pearl Harbour is sobering!dole Pineapple, not a bad volcano, that will fill a few days
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    Pearl Harbor should satisfy your warmongering interest but being there summer it could be very busy. You can easily do everything at Pearl in a day. The big MO has a shitload of history on that one boat but they don't let you down stairs which would be bloody interesting.
    Took Dad and I basically two days to get right around Pearl Harbour / Arizona memorial / Missouri / Aircraft museum...

Best advice I can give you about Hawaii is have a look at Pearl Harbour then jump on a flight to Anchorage, Alaska and go an do some hunting! Hawaii was far too hot for my comfort levels!
    Maca49 likes this.
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ/
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

Maca pretty well covered it. Only other suggestion would be to leave the wife behind (joking). Wish I had gone to a footy game
    Maca49 likes this.

And sitting on Waikiki watching the planes coming in over Diamondhead, always 3 insight coming into land, man it's a busy airport!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Tipping in the US really did my head in, takes a bit to get your head around well mine anyway.

If you really like maritime warfare stuff you should go to the Solomons (but you need a little bit of an adventurous streak).

say hi to magnum pi
    mikee and Maca49 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    Only going for a week or so and not going until May to avoid their busy season. Are there any naval warfare museums?
    Not near long enough we went for a week last year and really needed 2 if you want to look around and also relax. Maui is nice slower pace island to go to.

In Hawaii at the moment. Flying back home today. Great spot for a relaxing holiday. Pearl Harbour was a good experience. Booked well in advance as they only have so many tickets to sell per day. May be quieter in May? Didn't include aviation museum but doubt we would've had time to look through it properly being on a tour time schedule. Staying in Waikiki at Wyndham Beachwalk resort. Very central. Block from beach and not badly priced. Two couples in two bedroom unit helps the cost I guess. The Ala Moana shopping centre and Waikele Outlet centre has good shopping if the mrs is into that. Did an island tour for $130. Included a buffet lunch. Was a good way to see the island and different attractions around it. If you want a good meal rather than a typical American burger and chips go to the Yardhouse on Lewers St in Waikiki. Its brilliant. There's a free entry war Museum at Fort Derussy in Waikiki too next to the beach. It's quite interesting. Includes a lot on the Japanese history on the island.
    The local beach is a bit rocky underwater in most parts. Buy a cheap mask and snorkel and you'll see quite a few fish close to shore. Was swimming with a turtle a couple of days ago 15 metres from the beach. You don't need to go out far at all. Take plenty of sunscreen. My ever expanding solar panel has taken a hiding haha. Hanauma Bay is really popular for snorkelling. Go early as it'll get busy.
    Taxis and buses are reasonably cheap. Get a shuttle at airport when you arrive and that'll include a return as well. It's well organised. Eating out isn't that cheap. Hawaii in general is a bit more expensive than the mainland which is to be expected.

Kilimanjaro rifles

P38
    I took a tour to Pearl Harbour and was disappointed because of the time limit at the Memorial set by the tour company, cost was around $50pp.

Next day I took the local bus to Perl Harbour from Waikiki, arrived just as the Memorial was being opened and left just as it was closing Cost was $2:50pp for the bus.

I spent 4 hours on the Missouri alone.

I met a Sailor that had served on her during the Korean conflict, he was happy to chat and show me around.

The Bowfish got some special attention from me too.

Moose McGillicuddys makes a bloody good Mai Tai and at $3 a drink is pretty good value.

Ala Moana food court at feeding time is an interesting watch, the foods pretty average but the people chow it down like it's their last meal.

Take a local Bus to Diamond Head Point and climb the crater, well worth the effort.

Cheers
    Pete

+1 on Diamond Head, go early to beat the crowd & heat, take some water

Did a day tour at Pearl Harbour while the wife went shopping win win
    Hired a paddle board each day for a hour, good fun & bit of exercise.
    Ala Moana for shopping,there's a Mai Tai bar upstairs if you need a break while the mrs shops up.
    One night we went into The Westin Resort, big hotel smack in the middle of Waikiki beach, they have a cool beachside bar, great place to go for a few cocktails.

Next time I'd hire a car for a day & go for a drive around the island & we'd also look at a self contained room so you can cook the odd meal, do breakfasts. We found it hard to find nice healthy meals out, everything comes with fries! There's a supermarket one block back, also an awesome pizza place, can't remember the name.
    Hit the happy hours, they are good value.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!