Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By gonetropo
  • 1 Post By mcdeee
  • 1 Post By Russian 22.

Thread: Anyone done any safe lighting?

Anyone done any safe lighting?

Something along the lines of this photo.

I have done a little research and there's kits online and I can rustle something up easily as I do electrical work.

I was also thinking of doing a safe heater to try and keep moisture out.

LED striplight
    try wavetech.co.nz
    Russian 22. likes this.

Yes sir... been there, done that.

Lighting - lots of options are available for very little money. A cheap, battery operated sensor light can make life very easy.

Regarding heating... I can give you great advice on what not to do!

I went out and bought a heating pad from a NZ company that manufacture mirror demisters and offer a great product that they advertise for multiple uses such as plant propagation, feet warmer or cupboard warmer. It sounded perfect and it cost around $70. According to the brochure the heating mat wouldn't get too hot and, as it was designed to sit underneath rugs and things, mounting it to the back wall of my safe seemed like a pretty obvious way of avoiding any problems. Done.

Winter arrived, the mat was installed and turned on, and a fairly piss-poor increase in temperature was apparent. After a month or so I was still disappointed with the temperature but a stange smell was evident inside the safe. A sort of sickly-sweet plastic smell. The smell slowly got stronger and one day I decided to take more notice... and found the heating mat had warped and melted the plastic. It took bloody ages to get rid of the smell from my safe and, bizarrely some metal parts had a light covering of surface corrosion. Whatever that gas was, it wasn't good for metals.

Perhaps the product didn't like being vertical? Perhaps the product was depressed about being mounted flat against the back wall, wanting instead to hog some limelight out front? Regardless, the experiment wasn't positive. What WAS positive though, was the company replaced the heating mat for me.

So if you want a heating mat, I have a new one sitting in the cupboard.

I use the battery/motion activated ones from Gun City. They’re about 20 buck or so, and I have three. Also put one in my whisky cabinet.
    Wirehunt likes this.
    For policy-related questions, please email me (don’t PM): firearms [at] act.org.nz

I've got one of those 17W Goldenrod type heaters and it has been good
    https://www.amazon.com/Goldenrod-725.../dp/B00DBTCFGY

Not exact copy of this but similar
    I need to bend a bit of mesh/perforated metal up as a cover so it doesn't cook the end of a stock - mounted at the bottom just under the door lip

For lights I just got some cheap rope light off Tardme but self-adhesive LED would look tres professional - mine looks slightly disco

When wiring a lead in through the safe wall a rubber grommet is recommended

Fulla
    Wardrobe heater. Bunnings.

Quote Originally Posted by planenutz View Post
    Yes sir... been there, done that.

Lighting - lots of options are available for very little money. A cheap, battery operated sensor light can make life very easy.

Regarding heating... I can give you great advice on what not to do!

I went out and bought a heating pad from a NZ company that manufacture mirror demisters and offer a great product that they advertise for multiple uses such as plant propagation, feet warmer or cupboard warmer. It sounded perfect and it cost around $70. According to the brochure the heating mat wouldn't get too hot and, as it was designed to sit underneath rugs and things, mounting it to the back wall of my safe seemed like a pretty obvious way of avoiding any problems. Done.

Winter arrived, the mat was installed and turned on, and a fairly piss-poor increase in temperature was apparent. After a month or so I was still disappointed with the temperature but a stange smell was evident inside the safe. A sort of sickly-sweet plastic smell. The smell slowly got stronger and one day I decided to take more notice... and found the heating mat had warped and melted the plastic. It took bloody ages to get rid of the smell from my safe and, bizarrely some metal parts had a light covering of surface corrosion. Whatever that gas was, it wasn't good for metals.

Perhaps the product didn't like being vertical? Perhaps the product was depressed about being mounted flat against the back wall, wanting instead to hog some limelight out front? Regardless, the experiment wasn't positive. What WAS positive though, was the company replaced the heating mat for me.

So if you want a heating mat, I have a new one sitting in the cupboard.
    I am happy to learn from others mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdeee View Post
    I use the battery/motion activated ones from Gun City. They’re about 20 buck or so, and I have three. Also put one in my whisky cabinet.
    Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    I've got one of those 17W Goldenrod type heaters and it has been good
    https://www.amazon.com/Goldenrod-725.../dp/B00DBTCFGY

Not exact copy of this but similar
    I need to bend a bit of mesh/perforated metal up as a cover so it doesn't cook the end of a stock - mounted at the bottom just under the door lip

For lights I just got some cheap rope light off Tardme but self-adhesive LED would look tres professional - mine looks slightly disco

When wiring a lead in through the safe wall a rubber grommet is recommended
    I have some mesh lying around I can use.

I've done the stick on led stripes before. They are quite cool. Changing colours and what not.

Got plenty of grommets at work

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    Wardrobe heater. Bunnings.
    Cheers.

@Russian 22.

Your gunsafe may end up cosier than your leaky Auckland flat. That's when you'll wish you were a hobbit too...

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    @Russian 22.

Your gunsafe may end up cosier than your leaky Auckland flat. That's when you'll wish you were a hobbit too...
    I could sub let to a hobbit or two....
    Frodo likes this.