Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Anyone on here move to canada , to live ? ...have some Qs

Anyone on here move to canada , to live ? ...have some Qs

just like the title says , there may be a change in a year or so , and i may have to move to canada to live , but i have some questions , around gun ownership , and health insurances .....
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

EeeBees likes this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

i will hate to leave NZ to live there , but , family comes first .....and i like canada anyway , but the thought of being unemployed and homeless , and moving to another country in my forties , not too mention having a prosthetic leg , which is covered by ACC here , but wont be in canada ..... ..... there is no definite here yet , but i need to know the options ...

oh @stumpy all I know is that the speed limit in Ontario is 90k yet in Manitoba and Quebec it is 100k... wish you all the best...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

110k on some highways in saskatchewan , which is where i will end up , in the city of saskatoon . ..its quite funny , we wont be going for at least a year , but driving my twin girls around paraparaumu today and going down the beach , i got really sad that they wont grow up in NZ ....i fucking love this country , but love my wife and girls more ...
    Pengy likes this.

MSL
    So what's pulling you there?

Stumpy,
    I guessing that your partner is Canadian so it may take a year for you to get permanent resident status, I'm not sure if you can apply for a gun license before then or not but when you do it costs a bit more ($200-$300 from memory for both, rifles and handguns) but that entails a two day course in gun education.
    They are not allowed suppressors.
    The cost of living is slightly cheaper than NZ with education about the same. Most jobs that you will get have medical insurance but you have to pay for prescriptions(which are cheap).
    No hunting at any time like in NZ.
    Its a nice country with good opportunities and friendly people but I totally understand where you are coming from in regards to the kids growing up"kiwi"
    Good luck.

Stumpy, Aly and I both moved here from Canada, that's good enough reason to get the rest of the family to move here!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gadgetman and stumpy like this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Bugbait View Post
    Stumpy,
    I guessing that your partner is Canadian so it may take a year for you to get permanent resident status, I'm not sure if you can apply for a gun license before then or not but when you do it costs a bit more ($200-$300 from memory for both, rifles and handguns) but that entails a two day course in gun education..
    You don't need to be a permanent resident to obtain a PAL (Possession Acquisition Licence).

Fees for the safety courses are $150 for the standard or Restricted, or both for $260. Some places charge less. The courses are conducted by certified instructors.

The restricted, non restricted rifle thing is quite silly. An AR is Restricted, but a Favor isn't? The Swiss PE90 is prohibited, but the Swiss Arms 'Classic Green' is non restricted?

5 rd magazine limits. A pinned 100 rd drum magazine? Why?

Canadian gun laws have a few good points, more negative points though.

If you have any specific questions. I may be able to help.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    stumpy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    So what's pulling you there?
    my wife is not doing well with post natal from the babies , and feels she has no support in NZ , I am hoping this is just a low point and that with mental health help , she could see an alternative ... I lived for one year in Saskatoon , which is where I met her , I have friends there and know I will be able to find a job ,, but I feel very fuked off about it all , 1st world problems I know , like most kiwi males in their 40s , im not a fan of big change , .....

Be careful you don't get caught up going back and forward between countries or you will end up with nothing.
    Savage1, stumpy and Skatieguy like this.

R93
    My brother had the same sort of issue. I have not seen him in the flesh since 1992.
    He is as happy as there tho, so that's all that matters I spose.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    stumpy likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Koshogi View Post
    The restricted, non restricted rifle thing is quite silly. An AR is Restricted, but a Favor isn't?
    @Koshogi That's the Spanish licence copy Tavor right?
    Koshogi likes this.

What do you want to know, I have been living in Canada for 17 years, including a stint in Saskatchewan, (Regina),
    Firearms, are not much different than NZ, in many ways, you need to apply, have reference's, and get a police background check, couple hundred at a guess, this is for long arms, a one day course, is likely required, and a hunter training course, to buy tags for big game, $50, restricted license is a bit more work, but similar to NZ pistol, extra back ground, a restricted course and a few more bucks.
    Each province sets its own hunting rules,
    Medical, Each province is slightly different, but as a general rule, Canada has universal health care, mostly paid for buy taxes, Everywhere I have worked has had optional health care with work coverage, similar to southern cross coverage, sum NZ work places have,
    Like nearly all western health systems, the cost's are rising, but care is generally very good, once you get past the paper work and pencil pushers, and into the hands of doctors and nurses, I have no idea how you will fit in, with their system, but info, will be a viable online,
    Saskatoon is a very nice city, I really like it, most everything else, will be close to the same costs or cheaper than NZ, except heating a house in winter,
    Lots of fishing and hunting, in surrounding area, I have been living about 8-9 hrs away for 12 years.
    any thing else you wish to know, send me a message or ask on here,
    You will do all right, Canada's not a bad place to live, and Canadians are pretty accepting.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    my wife is not doing well with post natal from the babies , and feels she has no support in NZ , I am hoping this is just a low point and that with mental health help , she could see an alternative ... I lived for one year in Saskatoon , which is where I met her , I have friends there and know I will be able to find a job ,, but I feel very fuked off about it all , 1st world problems I know , like most kiwi males in their 40s , im not a fan of big change , .....
    I don't know if you can afford it, but if you can get a nanny, sister, your mom or a friend, in to give your wife a break, a couple times a week, and have one of her girl friends, take her out for hair appointment, lunch etc, may help, I went threw it, with my son's mother, I think its, as much about letting go of the old life, and embracing another, (motherhood), But as a man, I can tell you, that you don't understand, good luck,
    screamO likes this.