Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: ANZAC Day 2015

ANZAC Day 2015

Name:  20130421_AK_N1015025_0038.jpg
Views: 3566
Size:  88.3 KB

I thought that I'd kick this topic off early given that it's such a special event being the centenary of the Gallipoli landings.

As we all know the day itself commemorates the ill-fated landings by the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) with the objective of seizing Chunuk Bair, a strategic high point on the Sair Bair range.

The campaign failed to accomplish its strategic objective, the aim being to directly threaten Constantinople - the capital of the Ottoman empire, Turkey - Germany's extremely powerful and strategically important southern ally.

The failure was due not to the lack of will or guts by the ANZACs but instead by the bungling ineptitude of their colonial masters in Whitehall.

It is a time to not only reflect on the courage and bravery of those men that served in the ill-fated campaign of Gallipoli but also those who served the duration of Anglo-Boer War, WW I, WW II, Borneo, Malaya, Vietnam, The Solomons, Timor, Afghanistan.

Whilst wandering idly through the corridors of NZ military history I came across a documentary of arguably one of our most famous and hard fought campaigns. Monte Cassino.

I know it's long but I encourage you to view it as it's about our history, as told by our men.

"Old soldiers never die, they just fade away" - General Douglas MacArthur
    puku, dirtyhabit, Dundee and 8 others like this.
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".

My late father was at monte cassino ,and it was one battle i heard him speak of.
    Ive always been interested in it ,in fact recently obtaining a copy of a very good book on the battle "cassino portrait of a battle" by Fred Magdajhaly.
    After my TF career finished i spent time on the regimental assn executive and was incredibly lucky to hear the experiences of two guys(x 26th btn) who fought the germans in a bombsite cassino town.
    Probably the greatest price paid by any single unit at cassino was the epic feat of the 28th maori btn who tasked with taking &holding the Liri railway station did so but being grossly underresourced having to retreat with heavy losses. General Freyberg was blamed(conveniently)for the bombing of the abbey , altho latter day postmortems clearly show US General Mark Clarke an ardent papist and catholic used Freyberg as camo to prevent any damage with his supposed cosy relationship with the pope and overwhelming desire to enter Rome fist ,having buggered the Anzio landing up!
    General SirFreddy Tuker OC the indian corps and a military engineer was the one who on realising the abbey walls were miles too thick to be taken out by artillery alone,suggested the option of an airborne bombing campaign.

Psychological operations.

An integral part of any military campaign. Its effects, when expertly employed, can exert deadly serious effects on morale. To enter and adversely affect the mind of one's adversaries without loss or hindrance is of huge benefit. It doesn't matter how low one goes.

Although some people might find the following morally repugnant, my personal belief was that it was fighting fire with fire and it was pretty hot fire.

The hottest fire won.

What does this have to do with anything? Look up "Sefton Delmer" without the quotes. Another person who contributed to the war effort in a proxy ANZAC spirit.
    Last edited by Ryan; 06-04-2015 at 10:21 PM.
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".

I will be @ ANZAC cove on April 25th. Looking SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO forward to it!

My Great grandfather fought @ Gallipoli as part of the Canterbury Mounted rifles, which then became Queen Alexandras Mounted Rifles (QAMR, now currently LAV regiment).
    He came back and lived his days on a farm in Nth Cant.
    Both Grandfathers fought in WWII. One in the pacific, the other in the desert attached to LRDG. He had the chance to view the pyramids but was playing a two day poker game instead.
    My father served in RNZAF aswell.
    Dundee, Maca49, oneshot and 1 others like this.

R93
    Oh joy for you! Did you serve in the military?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

2gnscib: Jealous (in a good way), photos will of course be mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Oh joy for you! Did you serve in the military?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    No, I suffer from an illness called Laziness. I have a allergy to fitness.
    Toby likes this.

Is anyone else looking forward to the National War Memorial park update?

Apparently a lot of people turned out for the unveiling when it was built, would be good to see another big crowd there.

I see the milk tankers are wearing a big poppy to commemorate the occasion.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

My grandad severed in WW1 some new comers may not have come across this thread yet. I have complete respect to all that have served and fought for our freedom.

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...-grandad-7145/
    moonhunt, Ayejay and JRW87 like this.
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

My Great Grandfather was shot in the shoulder at Gallipoli laying a telephone or a telegraph cable. I find it strange he enlisted in his late 30's.
    Dundee, Ryan and grunzter like this.

My grandad got shot in the arse in WW1 and I are still farming the wounds.
    Toby and JRW87 like this.
    CFD

Found this online - my popa
    Haven't read his diary yet, some other family member has it in Aussie, he never spoke about the war
    Wounded 3 times then taken as a prisoner

Frederick Albert Such - Online Cenotaph - Auckland War Memorial Museum
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    OPCz

I will be getting up early for it as always, poor buggers did their part for democracy its the least I can do. Prob a little earlier than usual for a park now its trendy this year.
    Maca49 likes this.