Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: ANZAC Day

ANZAC Day

Wishing everyone a good and safe ANZAC day tomorrow.

At least in Southland things will be normal and getting off to the usual 77mm ka-boom in the morning (all going well).

Taken over easter weekend getting dusted off and oiled up.

Name:  20190421_103124-s.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  114.1 KB
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

Bravo for keeping/maintaining this piece of military gold.
    BRADS, Maca49 and Beaker like this.

Hot barrels

Looking good and have a good day!
    At lest you wont get stuck in traffic if you mount that on the front of ya truck

Do you know where it was captured?
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Shirt and pants laid out , my nephew starts his training in a months time and my dad marchs with his comrades again tommorow! Respect to them both and you all!!
    Nil durum volenti !!

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Looking good and have a good day!
    At lest you wont get stuck in traffic if you mount that on the front of ya truck

Do you know where it was captured?
    When its on the back of the trailer, it sure keeps the traffic behind you back a few car lengths, its a little intimidating in your car with the muzzle pointing at you.

Its story.

German WWI Krupp designed and manufactured field gun, originally designed as a normal FK77 (Field Kanon 7.7 cm) back in 1898. It is the only one in New Zealand and it is thought that only about five of its type still exist worldwide.
    During the First World War, two hundred of these canons were recalled to the Krupp factory to be lightened and refitted with a recoiling barrel, among other improvements. The changes were made as a result of the British
    bringing their tanks into battle, leaving the Germans without anything suitable to take them on.
    The modifications also allowed the canons to be handled on the battlefield so that a team of soldiers could dismantle and move them quickly to wherever they were needed.

This canon came to New Zealand on the ship the “Cooee” in 1919 and was used as a war memorial until the late 1940s-early 1950s when it became derelict in a farmer’s paddock.

I dont know where it was captured from.

My Father retrieved it (maybe early 1960's) rusty, rotten and part buried, who preserved it (not many kids can say they had a swing set and a canon on the front lawn to play on). My father passed it to my brother-in-law around 8-10 years ago (guessing), who about 5 years ago had it restored (apart from the wooden wheels) to firing condition (blanks only).

Now it just comes out to celebrate ANZAC day - while most returned service men enjoy it, a few dont because it is german.

When it goes, it goes, smoke and flame and makes a hell of a noise!!

A great piece of history preserved and looked after hopefully for ever more. (Unless horse face at the top wants to confiscate it).
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

Guess you know these are the ones that fired the wizbang.
    My Granddad hated those with a passion.
    Neat bit of history though.
    Woody likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

good turn out at parakai lest we forget Name:  20190425_053817.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  1.94 MB
    stingray, Woody, Steve123 and 2 others like this.

Good turnout at Taupo dawn parade. No incidents.
    ONYVA, A330driver, Sarvo and 1 others like this.

Another great turn out in Taihape.
    Have to commend the Area school's head boy and girl for their speech....very well presented
    Woody, A330driver and Mr Browning like this.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Yeah our local has been getting bigger every year. No gun salute this year was the only change.
    stingray and Woody like this.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Bus driver
    A thought,a prayer,and a Beer for the ANZACs,.....least we forget....

Sgt Ces Taggert.....New Zealand 2nd INFANTRY BATTALION,...Hastings
    stingray and Woody like this.
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

Just back from a good turnout in Nelson.Same with school speakers.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out." -

Home for a cup of tea after our dawns service a good turn out and the in to Albury for breakfast and watch the march
    northdude and Woody like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Browning View Post
    When its on the back of the trailer, it sure keeps the traffic behind you back a few car lengths, its a little intimidating in your car with the muzzle pointing at you.

Its story.

German WWI Krupp designed and manufactured field gun, originally designed as a normal FK77 (Field Kanon 7.7 cm) back in 1898. It is the only one in New Zealand and it is thought that only about five of its type still exist worldwide.
    During the First World War, two hundred of these canons were recalled to the Krupp factory to be lightened and refitted with a recoiling barrel, among other improvements. The changes were made as a result of the British
    bringing their tanks into battle, leaving the Germans without anything suitable to take them on.
    The modifications also allowed the canons to be handled on the battlefield so that a team of soldiers could dismantle and move them quickly to wherever they were needed.

This canon came to New Zealand on the ship the “Cooee” in 1919 and was used as a war memorial until the late 1940s-early 1950s when it became derelict in a farmer’s paddock.

I dont know where it was captured from.

My Father retrieved it (maybe early 1960's) rusty, rotten and part buried, who preserved it (not many kids can say they had a swing set and a canon on the front lawn to play on). My father passed it to my brother-in-law around 8-10 years ago (guessing), who about 5 years ago had it restored (apart from the wooden wheels) to firing condition (blanks only).

Now it just comes out to celebrate ANZAC day - while most returned service men enjoy it, a few dont because it is german.

When it goes, it goes, smoke and flame and makes a hell of a noise!!

A great piece of history preserved and looked after hopefully for ever more. (Unless horse face at the top wants to confiscate it).
    whats she like on the ducks squire?? ya see being a single shot id have no pesky mag worriesand its too big for a safe ,plus what self respecting burglar would traipse through town with that hangin out of his lowslung arse bearer jeans.

good turen out at CHCH dawn parade .the blue brigade came 9mm clad even had their sSABPHead shed topknob in attendance.
    coupla grim dig humour -me no bugger told methis year vets march formed up at RSA-,but ive got a bloody crook hoof which wont settle so probably bedst i did nt march.
    Pete DawsonPresidient of CHCH RSA -dismiss the parade -ahhhh oops hold on gotta sing national anthem yet our late mutual(RIPWO2 Russell Barron RNZA) mate would have got a beer out of him for that
    however

0330 this morning pete on the prowl over march route -Bloody CCChave angled parked two frigging red buses right across the march route!!!!!!-one very irate ex arty WO2(yes pete is a sight under a full head of steam) gets on blower to comrade liannes CCC mob"got that sorted double bloody quick..."to a mused grins of all of us.
    Oldest on parade ex RNZAFat 106 yrs of age .seen interview on TV-puts his longievity down to daily dose of rum and raw garlick and a bloody wicked sense of humour!

Well the pigeon population did four or five formation flyovers ,probably relieved by absence of the volleys of honour.
    Last edited by kotuku; 25-04-2019 at 12:25 PM.