Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: ANZAC of the year

ANZAC of the year

I've got nothing against the woman that received this honor but I don't see why a civilian should get it. There is the New Zealander of the year which I think would be more appropriate.
    Surely ANZAC of the Year should go to a Service Person (past or present) or someone associated with the Forces who has done something of significance.
    Maybe I'm being biased being an ex grunt but I don't think it's right.
    Savage1, R93, teFerrarri and 3 others like this.

R93
    I agree. Also the term ANZAC mean Australia New Zealand Army Corps.
    You had to endure a few months of hell to be part of the any corps let alone the Infantry Corps.

I also disagree with non service people wearing campaign medals of their ancestors. They should imo, only be worn by members of that family that are serving or who have served. How can you have any comprehention why those medals were awarded if you have never served.
    You do not or have not, earned the right to do so.

I frankly, find it insulting.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    BRADS likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

In a week dominated by our ex-currency trading PM showing a total lack of class by pulling ponytails I think that this award is a bloody good thing for women in general and Ms Nicholas in particular.
    Let's face it - the award is a political one rather than service oriented and that is just the way the world is nowadays.
    Either way I wouldn't question her bravery and that is rather the point

Agreed re other people wearing gongs - it is mawkish and downright weird

I would never think to wear my father's medals, I would earn my own.

I totally agree @308, she is very passionate about and done alot for women's violence but I dont see the relevance or connection to the ANZAC honor.
    I'm a proud and staunch supporter of our Armed Forces and believe they dont get the recognition that they rightly deserve.
    The ANZAC of the Year honor is IMO military inspired so I dont understand why a civilian with no connection is awarded the honor.
    Savage1 and EeeBees like this.

Agree the ANZAC of the year should be Services orientated but have no problem with people wearing their husbands, fathers, grandfathers medals as long as they are on the right breast as a mark of respect to acknowledge the contribution past members of their family made.
    Dundee and Barefoot like this.

Nothing wrong with pulling the odd ponytail but there is something insulting in handing this out in such a manner..
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    You had to endure a few months of hell to be part of the any corps let alone the Infantry Corps.

I also disagree with non service people wearing campaign medals of their ancestors. They should imo, only be worn by members of that family that are serving or who have served. How can you have any comprehention why those medals were awarded if you have never served.

Disagree with you on the medals, I've never done any military service, but my 35 year old son wearing his granddad medals on ANZAC day shows a great deal of respect for his Grand father and gives grandad a presence at the service in a small way. I think it is befitting of the Occassion
    Dundee, Barefoot, Shooter and 5 others like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

R93
    It is just my opinion. I see a different side.
    Each to their own tho eh.
    Maybe if people displaying their ancestors medals endured a 1/10 of what they did to earn them they would understand why some of us disagree with the practice.

Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Maybe if people displaying their ancestors medals endured a 1/10 of what they did to earn them they would understand why some of us disagree with the practice.

Some of us have never been to hell and back.
    EeeBees likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Fully agree.
    The old lady was trying hard to get me to wear granddads medals....
    Always had the same thought if you ain't earned it don't wear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    K95 likes this.

And those that did I think deserve to have their medals displayed by those that loved them and appreciated their sacrifice. Other wise you may as well sell them to a collector and forget them? My father in law was one of the bravest people I've had in my life, and an awesome grand dad to my kids. He was only to kill one German in his short fighting life, before he was so badly wounded and had to come home. He fretted about that death most of his life, as it was very personal being just the one. He worried about the sad news the parents received and whether he had a wife and children, He also lived with the severe injuries to his arms and hands, I never one heard him complain. When his time came to die, he faced it front on without any argument, I remember the last time he saw sunshine, he sat it it all day. Then off to his bed where he became unconscious and passed away a week later. He never cared for ANZAC day, he usually spent it with a few of those he served with having an afternoon of remembering the good times, always the good times, I was prividged to sit in on some of those afternoons, as the whiskey boy! Amount of water in each NIP was " I'll tell you when to stop" I'd pour a good dollop of whiskey in the glass, grab the water jug and as I lifted it the command came " stop, that's enough"
    Dundee, EeeBees, GravelBen and 4 others like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Although I would not choose to wear my grandfathers medals from WW1, I can see no problem with my wife wearing her grandfathers (along with her own), and my son wearing his great great grandfathers today. If people respect how and why the medals were earned and they want to wear them in the correct way then let them.
    A positive spin about wearing the medals was made clear to me at yesterdays school ANZAC assembly and today's parade. People were asking how to find out about their ancestors service history to which my wife was able to point them in the right direction. Just this evening she received a phone call from one of them who has now finally found out about her great grandfather who was sent as part of reinforcements to Europe in mid 1918 only to be killed 3 months later. His son was born while he was in transit in 1918. A family history lost and now found because of wearing old medals.
    wsm junkie, Dundee and Maca49 like this.

Ejected

Can understand where you're coming from, but what about those who are no longer with us, is it not a fitting way for their descendant to represent them and show their respect and gratitude for what they sacrificed so that the generations following wouldn't have to go to hell and back? Is this not why we have anzac day, for lest we forget?

Not a jibe but a legitimate question from someone who has never served.

It's also a very personal family thing about those you love. It is amount their extended family, their children, son and daughter in laws or partners,their grand, and great grand children. The web spreads very fast involving many close relations, who have their own thoughts and relationships with that person. It is a day for all those involved to think about that one person, and I'm sure that my father inlaw has been in the minds of all those people at some time today, a reminise, something passed on to a younger one, a question asked of their grand dad.
    I spoke to a Vietnam vet the other day and thought it sad in that he said he didn't care about ANZAC day, because of the way in which he, in particular was ignored by the NZ govt on his return. He crashed a helicopter, got burnt, and took a round to the stomach! I said his grand kids would one day want to know all about pop and his service in Veitnam, he doubted it, but he is now getting all his records together and giving them to his daughter, so we got a start, hope he can find them!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I understand your opinion R93 and I know none of our family members will ever parade Grandads medals as the hell he went through.

But seeing the young ones out there today proudly wearing medals that they may have new little about is great to keep the memories of our fallen and serving soldiers alive. I respect all on this special day.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive