Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Knives Africa Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By Cordite
  • 1 Post By Blisters
  • 1 Post By berg243
  • 1 Post By gadgetman

Thread: Apple Admits to Slowing Down Old iPhones!

Apple Admits to Slowing Down Old iPhones!

Heard this on the radio today, sounded a bit like a conspiracy to sell more new phones, though the truth is somewhat exonerating of Apple Inc. Older batteries cannot cope with spikes in CPU demand, causing unexpected total shutdowns of iPhones, so in interest of reliability Apple downgrades CPU speed in certain circumstances.

But...in retrospect, this remote-downgrading of older products is not new, just think of all the problems we get with MS Windows updates - far more hassle they cause than most viruses...

And then there are rifles. The manufacturers (and behind them, the Rosicrucians, Knights' Templar, Jesuits and the Illuminati) downgrade older equipment by means unknown, but very gradually so most of us don't notice. It is only when we examine a really older product that we clearly notice the difference. I mean, a few months ago I shot fifty .303 Mk VIIs stamped 1950 and they had all been remote downgraded to click-bangs! And then there's the rifle, now spraying the bullets in a cone...

And I ask, where is the excuse except the desire to sell me new stuff? After all, the rifle has no failing battery to excuse such performance adjustments. Before you think I'm mad, I do realise this is all extremely hard to prove. One would have had to go back near to the date of manufacture, and store one batch of ammo + rifles under a tin foil pyramid, and the other stored normally, then compare performance 70 yrs later. But I know I'm right.
    Guns don't kill people - drivers do.

The Hedgehog Preservation Society

Wtf??
    R93 likes this.

well I am lucky then as to dumb to operate a smart phone ,saves me a lot of money that way.
    veitnamcam likes this.

What a load of bollocks. My 14 year old laptop is not throttling back with it's 15 year old battery.
    Cordite likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

res
    I replace a lot of batterys in Iphones/ipads and there is normally a good speed increase afterwards. I have no idea if slowing phones down due to battery life is valid or not but it really is happening in the apple world to a notacable extent- its not just the geeks who notice the improvment afterwards.

I love that in the older I phones there is space to replace battery packing with wireless charging recivers-havent worked out how to fit it into a 7 yet but 4-6 is easy
    Using Tapatalk

that put a smile on my dial. good on ya @Cordite
    Dam right im Pro Guns, Look at History

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post

Heard this on the radio today, sounded a bit like a conspiracy to sell more new phones, though the truth is somewhat exonerating of Apple Inc. Older batteries cannot cope with spikes in CPU demand, causing unexpected total shutdowns of iPhones, so in interest of reliability Apple downgrades CPU speed in certain circumstances.

But...in retrospect, this remote-downgrading of older products is not new, just think of all the problems we get with MS Windows updates - far more hassle they cause than most viruses...

And then there are rifles. The manufacturers (and behind them, the Rosicrucians, Knights' Templar, Jesuits and the Illuminati) downgrade older equipment by means unknown, but very gradually so most of us don't notice. It is only when we examine a really older product that we clearly notice the difference. I mean, a few months ago I shot fifty .303 Mk VIIs stamped 1950 and they had all been remote downgraded to click-bangs! And then there's the rifle, now spraying the bullets in a cone...

And I ask, where is the excuse except the desire to sell me new stuff? After all, the rifle has no failing battery to excuse such performance adjustments. Before you think I'm mad, I do realise this is all extremely hard to prove. One would have had to go back near to the date of manufacture, and store one batch of ammo + rifles under a tin foil pyramid, and the other stored normally, then compare performance 70 yrs later. But I know I'm right.
    Video gone?
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

Chicken Intolerant.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Video gone?
    No. Still working.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    No. Still working.
    Works on my sāmdung but not laptop.

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

Chicken Intolerant.

As if you needed another reason for not buying apple anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    @Marty Henry

There is trouble with getting too good at some things. You go master the deep art of marketing... then one day you see a manipulator staring back at you in the mirror.
    Guns don't kill people - drivers do.

The Hedgehog Preservation Society

Wifes 2yo Samsung was getting slow and doing her head in so bought another. Happy wife. Makes me a conforming consumer

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    Wifes 2yo Samsung was getting slow and doing her head in so bought another. Happy wife. Makes me a conforming consumer
    I'd have never have guessed that with a name like sako75
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Hate to tell you Marty, but I doubt Apple are the only ones doing this.

I have had a range of Samsung products (tablets and phones) and over the last 4 years I've come to the firm belief they slow these down on purpose. My last tablet became totally unusable and this tablet I'm presently using is becoming increasingly glitchy. When you start reading Internet threads on the problems experienced you find hundreds of people complaining about the same issue... with no fixes available. Same with the phones.

Three years seems to be about the start of the dramas... if you're lucky you'll get 4 years. After that....?

I have an s3 galaxy be about 5 years old still runs fine all I've done is replace the battery once and charging cord
    Dam right im Pro Guns, Look at History