Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: AR15 Killing range

AR15 Killing range

Just curious as to what is every ones best/longest kill shot range with the AR platform in 5.56nato or 223?
    After all I have herd they only a 200 yard gun but from personal experience I know that is not true

They can punch a hole through a steel helmet 500-800 metres out with FMJ ball ammo, which defines the military "effective range". Sure that is also a range it can kill at, but risk of wounding is higher. That is not a military problem as military doctrine tells you that wounding is preferable to killing! The AR15 hunting "effective" range is therefore much less than military "effective" range.

res
    with the right setup they make a reliable 400m rabbit gun, and longet hits can often be got. on a goat where wounding is a concern I have limited myself to around 200m-never really personly thought of them in 223 as a deer rifle but have had no issues on the dear I have shot but that all under 100m so the round is going exactly where you want so as long as you do your part they are just as efective as anything. Curently colecting part to build a 6.5 grendal ar as hopfully a up to 300m deer rifle
    Using Tapatalk

I have had a witnessed one shot kill on a goat at a lasered 509 metres using 69 grain HPBT Sierras in my 1:7 twist Ranger AR15 20" with a Nikon P223 ballistic compensating scope.

They're limited by the cartridge you are using and the game you are hunting. I have found they reliably and ethically kill goats to 350m with 55gr soft point ammo and good shot placement.
    A330driver likes this.

An e cat one is more dangerous tho
    Trevs and outlander like this.

They sure are. The metal they use on the automatic fire ones is thicker and more dense. You will find many hair line cracks in the A cat versions from idiots firing them at targets over 200 metres. The stress from these distant shots fatigues the metal very quickly.

If I paint mine a more civilised colour, and have somebody fit a nice walnut stock then would it be ok. I mean it would be less bad, or more nice?
    I am quite worried that I might be a mean guy because I have this un-controllable beast.
    Any help and/or cuddles would be greatly appreciated.
    Off for a nice cup of tea now, and a little nap.

ciao
    mikee, WallyR, Knoxy_09 and 1 others like this.
    Use enough gun

Mines green so its quite controllable and has nice manners
    gadgetman and outlander like this.

Before you paint that one, may I suggest that you check it for fatigue cracks first? A simple method is to dunk it in a basin of talcum powder and work it in very well with a soft paint brush. The trigger area and barrel end is most important. Any cracks will appear under UV light. Speed is of the essence now, apply motor oil liberally in each crack. Job done, paint at will. Hope this helps...
    gadgetman likes this.

So much helpful info! I have made a barrel retwisting tool to correct the twist straightening with overuse on long shots.

Must have belonged to James Shaw at some point...

Barrel retwisting tools are helpful,but the long shots will get ya in the end,mate.

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    They sure are. The metal they use on the automatic fire ones is thicker and more dense. You will find many hair line cracks in the A cat versions from idiots firing them at targets over 200 metres. The stress from these distant shots fatigues the metal very quickly.
    F%^k me I just wee'ed myself with that perl of wisdom!!
    R93, WallyR, Sarvo and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    Are you for real, or taking the piss? Hard to tell on the internet.