Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Arms Officer's own version of the law

Arms Officer's own version of the law

So after purchasing a stripped ar15 upper and lower off a forum member over the weekend I went to the local cop shop to fill out the form. I then received a phone call this morning saying he won't pass it as it was an e-cat firearm. After trying to explain to him that it's just an upper/lower he wanted confirmation that it will never become and e-cat firearm and told me to come in and re-do the form by adding "A-cat" in the rifle description. Now it's time to wait and see whether the new form meets his criteria...

On a side note he reckoned that all imported ar15 uppers and lowers are imported as A-cat and can't become registered e-cat firearms once in the country.

Completely his own interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by Knoxy_09 View Post
    So after purchasing a stripped ar15 upper and lower off a forum member over the weekend I went to the local cop shop to fill out the form. I then received a phone call this morning saying he won't pass it as it was an e-cat firearm.

After trying to explain to him that it's just an upper/lower he wanted confirmation that it will never become and e-cat firearm and told me to come in and re-do the form by adding "A-cat" in the rifle description. Now it's time to wait and see whether the new form meets his criteria...
    If you filled out the form correctly, it should've included the lower's SN#, which he could look up and see if it was registered as E-cat.

On a side note he reckoned that all imported ar15 uppers and lowers are imported as A-cat and can't become registered e-cat firearms once in the country.
    Completely wrong. If it is intended for an A-cat rifle, the only 'part' that requires an import permit is the 'action'. Unfortunately the term 'action' doesn't fit into the AR world of Upper Receivers and Lower Receivers. In the US, the lower is the only part regulated, so we (users) have come to expect the same. I imagine the Police would beg to differ.

Uppers are completely interchangeable between any lowers of any category. Any conditions an AO places on an import permit, such as "cannot ever be converted to E-cat" are bullshit anyway, as such conditions are only valid UNTIL the import is complete. Once the parts are in your hand, the import permit is void, and any conditions placed upon it vanish with it.

So after purchasing a stripped ar15 upper and lower off a forum member over the weekend I went to the local cop shop to fill out the form. I then received a phone call this morning saying he won't pass it as it was an e-cat firearm. After trying to explain to him that it's just an upper/lower he wanted confirmation that it will never become and e-cat firearm and told me to come in and re-do the form by adding "A-cat" in the rifle description. Now it's time to wait and see whether the new form meets his criteria...

Remind him that it is an A cat until it has any E cat features, and it's not up to him to decide if you want to make it E cat later or not. Don't bend to this fucking bullshit. Be polite, but don't back down.
    Banana, Koshogi and Knoxy_09 like this.

Wow another person writes a new rule all by themselves.

Seriously ??
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Remind him that it is an A cat until it has any E cat features, and it's not up to him to decide if you want to make it E cat later or not. Don't bend to this fucking bullshit. Be polite, but don't back down.
    Yea I had to explain my intentions were to put a thumb hole stock on it etc before he accepted that it would be A-cat, despite its current lack of anything that would make it e-cat let alone fireable.

SiB
    My AO simply rang me to confirm the AR I'd filed for was A cat. They were perfectly satisfied w my verbal assurance. Very civilised

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post

If you filled out the form correctly, it should've included the lower's SN#, which he could look up and see if it was registered as E-cat.
    Yea all filled out correctly. He's done it to me in the past when I purchased a Zastava n-pap. Despite the serial number on the form he still called me back in to write "a-cat" on the form.

Yea all filled out correctly. He's done it to me in the past when I purchased a Zastava n-pap. Despite the serial number on the form he still called me back in to write "a-cat" on the form.
    Then you're dealing with a total knob-gobbler.
    kiwijames, Happy, res and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch
    Why would you put the serial number down? Just because it's on their form?

S43a has no requirement for serial numbers.

The Arms Act and supporting regulations provide no mandate for the Police to record or even ask for serial numbers for firearms (other than MSSA, pistols and restricted weapons ). Heck, there isn't even any requirement for firearms to even have serial numbers.

We already know that the Police are recording serial numbers, particularly for those dreaded ARs. You can expect them to continue with their ultra vires registry until the community does not cooperate with their legislative unsupported actions.
    tetawa, res, stretch and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Wow another person writes a new rule all by themselves.

Seriously ??
    Been happening here in the States for a while.

The Massachusetts Attorney General out of the blue reinterpreted the Massachusetts Assault Weapons Ban (passed by then Gov. Mitt Romney) and stated that all legally sold rifles that were in compliance with the law are now illegal because in her opinion. Due to them being able to use the same parts like bolts, firing pins, screws, retaining pins, springs, charging handles, etc....

The gun grabbers will do what they can. Whether they're little minions on the bottom or they're leaders of nation-states.

Screw 'em
    stumpy and Knoxy_09 like this.
    Signature removed because some people are intolerant of me being American.

Quote Originally Posted by Koshogi View Post
    Why would you put the serial number down? Just because it's on their form?

S43a has no requirement for serial numbers.

The Arms Act and supporting regulations provide no mandate for the Police to record or even ask for serial numbers for firearms (other than MSSA, pistols and restricted weapons ). Heck, there isn't even any requirement for firearms to even have serial numbers.

We already know that the Police are recording serial numbers, particularly for those dreaded ARs. You can expect them to continue with their ultra vires registry until the community does not cooperate with their legislative unsupported actions.
    Registration always leads to confiscation. California, New York, and Connecticut are on that path. In 2000, California passed an Assault Weapons & Magazine Ban. The law stated that if you registered you were grandfathered in and could keep it. This past election season proved otherwise. California now passed laws that flat out state what was once legally owned and registered is now illegal and must he either turned into law enforcement or moved out of the State of California.

Hell, the California Legislature openly debated that they need to round up guns but decided not to actively due it to not lose the Police Union vote. Instead they'll do it methodically and use it as tack on charges for violators since they have a database of who has what and where. So if John Q. Citizen is on the list and gets a traffic ticket. He has to prove that he complied with the ban or off to jail he goes.

I thought you were the land of the free Miami. Everything I see from the US nowadays makes it look like a dystopian police state.

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk
    Knoxy_09 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    My AO simply rang me to confirm the AR I'd filed for was A cat. They were perfectly satisfied w my verbal assurance. Very civilised
    I think things are still relatively normal as far as firearms use goes down here mate!
    223nut likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Miami_JBT View Post
    Registration always leads to confiscation. California, New York, and Connecticut are on that path. In 2000, California passed an Assault Weapons & Magazine Ban. The law stated that if you registered you were grandfathered in and could keep it. This past election season proved otherwise. California now passed laws that flat out state what was once legally owned and registered is now illegal and must he either turned into law enforcement or moved out of the State of California.

Hell, the California Legislature openly debated that they need to round up guns but decided not to actively due it to not lose the Police Union vote. Instead they'll do it methodically and use it as tack on charges for violators since they have a database of who has what and where. So if John Q. Citizen is on the list and gets a traffic ticket. He has to prove that he complied with the ban or off to jail he goes.
    Thats the way of the world, sensibly or sadly laws are dynamic things that are ammended, re ammended or repealed and replaced supposedly in response to changing circumstance. Unfortunatly popular opinion is often manipulated so the changes dont alswwaways reflect of the actual requirements. The system is receptive to the loudest voice.
    Oops spoiler alert political time to shut up.
    WallyR likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    I thought you were the land of the free Miami. Everything I see from the US nowadays makes it look like a dystopian police state.

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk
    I'm in Florida.... each State is allowed to make their own laws. Out if fifty only seven are retardedly stupid.