Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: ART FROM OUR MOUNTAINS AND FORESTS

sturg4

ART FROM OUR MOUNTAINS AND FORESTS

Name:  Bush Art 002.JPG
Views: 429
Size:  548.2 KB.

Our Old Favourite....Ruahine Corner Hut. It doesn't exist anymore. A new hut stands about 500m out in the tussock.

The above Hut is painted using watercolours. My Neighbour painted it from a photo I supplied. She has such Talent
    Dundee, Toby, BRADS and 2 others like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Outstanding Scribe.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

sturg4
    Name:  Jim Warren shoots 14.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  811.3 KB

Some may have seen these before. From the pen of C Satherley.
    Dougie likes this.

Brilliant Scribe. Did you ever visit the Rokai hut before it was burnt down in the SE Ruahines?
    Last edited by Dundee; 24-07-2014 at 10:40 PM.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Brilliant Scribe. Did you ever visit the Rokai hut before it was burnt down in the SE Ruahines?
    No, I don't think I did, Dundee. Where actually was it situated. I was lucky and saw a lot of huts and tent camps that no longer exist. I have such fond memories of them.

I am thinking of putting all the hut cartoons up. I know I have done it before but we have so many new members who wont have seen them.

I wish I had have been able to save a lot more of this Bush Art.
    Gibo likes this.

It was up the side creek from the Rokai and I found it a few months back much to @BRADS disgust as they have been looking for years
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    It was up the side creek from the Rokai and I found it a few months back much to @BRADS disgust as they have been looking for years
    Years I've looked once
    Was in the wrong creek two, blaming Doug.
    Awesome painting Scribe.
    Ruahine corner is a special place.
    My neighbour bent up his 185 up there a couple of years back, snow jumped up and bit him.
    Dundee likes this.

Jonathan White. One of my favourite artists of the NZ bush and mountains.

Check him out Paintings by Jonathan White. Landscapes 1

Name:  JW 1.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  220.1 KBName:  JW 2.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  178.6 KBName:  JW 3.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  174.6 KBName:  JW 4.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  252.0 KBName:  JW 5.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  274.6 KBName:  JW.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  158.0 KB
    “For us hunting wasn’t a sport. It was a way to be intimate with nature, that intimacy providing us with wild unprocessed food free from pesticides and hormones and with the bonus of having been produced without the addition of great quantities of fossil fuel. . . . . . . . We lived close to the animals we ate. We knew their habits and that knowledge deepened our thanks to them and the land that made them.”
    ― Ted Kerasote, Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog

sturg4
    That Guy is good alright 'Rifleman'. Do you have originals.

The last one is somewhere along the Wanganui River I reckon. I have seen lots of photos similar to this stretch of the river.. I might even have one myself.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Years I've looked once
    Was in the wrong creek two, blaming Doug.
    Awesome painting Scribe.
    Ruahine corner is a special place.
    My neighbour bent up his 185 up there a couple of years back, snow jumped up and bit him.
    You are right Brads Ruahine Corner is a special place. I was so upset when my old field Officer wrecked this hut and flew the old Remotupo Hut up and put it out there in the tussock.

I took my Wife up to stay in Ruahine Corner when she was just 17. It was the first hut she ever went to. She has seen a lot more of them since then.

I have been in and out of the strip a good few times in Piper Cubs and Cessna 180s and had a few hairy experiences. The 185 should of had plenty of power to haul it out of R.C, what happened Brads.

I can remember a few prangs there over the years. One I remember was a 172 tail dragger????. That attempted to take of up hill and didn't quite have the power and he leapt over the earthworks at the top end. That bird was roosting out in the tussock for a long time.

The Mountain in the cartoon is Aorangi. Shoot round Black Hill up and over Ohutu Ridge and you are there. You would have seen it flying in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    You are right Brads Ruahine Corner is a special place. I was so upset when my old field Officer wrecked this hut and flew the old Remotupo Hut up and put it out there in the tussock.

I took my Wife up to stay in Ruahine Corner when she was just 17. It was the first hut she ever went to. She has seen a lot more of them since then.

I have been in and out of the strip a good few times in Piper Cubs and Cessna 180s and had a few hairy experiences. The 185 should of had plenty of power to haul it out of R.C, what happened Brads.

I can remember a few prangs there over the years. One I remember was a 172 tail dragger????. That attempted to take of up hill and didn't quite have the power and he leapt over the earthworks at the top end. That bird was roosting out in the tussock for a long time.

The Mountain in the cartoon is Aorangi. Shoot round Black Hill up and over Ohutu Ridge and you are there. You would have seen it flying in and out.
    He went up in the snow, was trying two figure out how deep it was....... The rest is history
    It's a shame the strip has become so run down
    I suppose it's better than what the army has done two Boyd's and every man and his dog now thinks they are "bush" pilots.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    He went up in the snow, was trying two figure out how deep it was....... The rest is history
    It's a shame the strip has become so run down
    I suppose it's better than what the army has done two Boyd's and every man and his dog now thinks they are "bush" pilots.
    No work that I know has been done on this strip since it was put in about 1968 except a bit of grass seed thrown about. 'Clover' man we shot some deer of that strip over the years.

I forgot I have been in there in a good few helicopters. I got my Bell 47 rating flying to this strip from Taupo. It made me laugh Rusty Nairn turned up at Taupo Airport to give me a rating on the old Bell and he forgot to bring the Duals. "Hell you can probably fly it anyway, away we go" he said.

I don't think I would give any one a rating on an aircraft they had never flown without duals. We were airborne and I said how good are these things in autorotation Rusty. "Great I can put this thing down pick it up again, do a 360 and put it down again. Don't worry about it I reckon I can talk you through it".

I havnt been into Boyds for about 8 years. Whats been done to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    No work that I know has been done on this strip since it was put in about 1968 except a bit of grass seed thrown about. 'Clover' man we shot some deer of that strip over the years.

I forgot I have been in there in a good few helicopters. I got my Bell 47 rating flying to this strip from Taupo. It made me laugh Rusty Nairn turned up at Taupo Airport to give me a rating on the old Bell and he forgot to bring the Duals. "Hell you can probably fly it anyway, away we go" he said.

I don't think I would give any one a rating on an aircraft they had never flown without duals. We were airborne and I said how good are these things in autorotation Rusty. "Great I can put this thing down pick it up again, do a 360 and put it down again. Don't worry about it I reckon I can talk you through it".

I havnt been into Boyds for about 8 years. Whats been done to it?
    What hasn't been done two it more like they took bulldozers in there so you can imagine how big it is now

Banned
    The strip had some local deerstalkers skimming it with some scrub cutters 6 months ago.

bloody shit phone

Don't know who the artist was but its pretty cool.
    Name:  picture 4174.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  164.4 KB
    CFD