Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Assessment of the BS to date...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Western BoP
    Posts
    2,112

    Assessment of the BS to date...

    Been twiddling the old thumb lately - and I come up with this as an assessment:

    1. Ban on offshore drilling. This gets us approximately 10 years more clean LPG fuel, not a huge amount of change to oil production as most of the oil in NZ tends to be the manufacturing grades (think plastic production) or dirty heavy crap which is good for bitumen and ship fuel (this is where most of the sulphur dragged out of the modern low sulphur diesel gets disposed of from memory - not something that gets mentioned often).

    2. Ban on drilling = a deficit in local production of plastic precursors - the fix for this was the ban on plastic bags which happily coincides with the 'green' viewpoint which also coincides with the attempt to reduce the amount of plastic waste needing to be dealt with since those pesky Chinese decided to stop helping them out with concealing the issue...

    3. If we've banned drilling and banned plastics, we now have this pesky issue of needing to import more fuel. Hmmmm.... Nailed it - ban SUV's and Utes...

    Unfortunately - analyzing this comes up with a glaring impossibility in the new order. If we have huge numbers of people relying on gas for cooking and water heating, and less than 10 years of gas left we are either going back to cold showers and cave cooking OR we are importing massive quantities of LPG (with no coastal bulk storage and handling facilities in NZ) OR we are converting those houses to electrically powered ovens, hobs and water heating.

    Hmmmmmm #2 - if we are converting all these houses to electrically powered heating and cooking, at the same time that we want to convert our fleet of light vehicles to EV's - where is all of this spare capacity for electricity coming from considering that a large number of semi-rural areas are already borderline for electricity supply infrastructure?

  2. #2
    Member gadgetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    14,893
    The answer will be in the skyhooks. They can just grab whatever is needed, at no cost, environmentally friendly, ... from skyhooks.
    tetawa, stingray, mikee and 3 others like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

  3. #3
    Member Max Headroom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    2,712
    Solar panels on everything, including pets.
    Wirehunt, Tommy and xtightg like this.

  4. #4
    Member Carpe Diem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    The foothills of the Waitak's
    Posts
    953
    Where's it coming from - Tiwai point smelter.. They know next time around that's gonna fill a lot more supply into the grid and cause all the requisite down steam capacity issues... As always they need a reason to have a conversation..
    Wirehunt likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and streams, its where life is clear, where the world makes most sense!

  5. #5
    I hate tacticool Konev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Queenstown
    Posts
    921
    Imported gas is pretty cheap, if you buy it off the Russians and not the Americans (see Nord Stream 2 debacle)
    Wirehunt and Friwi like this.

  6. #6
    Load....Action....Instant ....Watch and Shoot! ishoot10s's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NW of the true capital...
    Posts
    1,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    Solar panels on everything, including pets.
    It's my belief that we're too far south to get the full benefit of solar installations, especially non gimballed, static arrays. We simply don't get enough good daylight hours and intensity.

    Our wind turbine farms are crap. They almost always seem to have about a 3rd of them down or inoperable for various reasons and they are so remote from where the consumption is that we end up with huge high-tension transmission distances and resulting massive losses through radiation. There are just not efficient.

    We should have an atomic kettle in each of the main centres as clean nuke is the cheapest and most efficient way to ensure we have sufficient power to keep up with ever increasing consumption due to the rapid uptake of EV's and the continued growth of legacy consumption such as housing and industry.

    We're constantly being told to conserve energy in winter because we have limited generation. We need to turn that back around and put the onus on the service providers, they are obliged to provide as much power as we consumers can afford to buy. There should effectively be no limit.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

  7. #7
    Member Sideshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,145
    Wind turbines are also not green. Copied from link this link https://stopthesethings.com/2014/08/...-wind-turbine/
    Name:  DE988679-61D4-4078-8865-3F270601DE42.jpeg
Views: 305
Size:  101.2 KB
    You see, renewables like wind turbines will incur far more carbon dioxide emissions in their manufacture and installation than what their operational life will ever save.
    Its carbon footprint is massive – try 241.85 tons of CO2.
    Here’s the breakdown of the CO2 numbers.
    To create a 1,000 Kg of pig iron, you start with 1,800 Kg of iron ore, 900 Kg of coking coal 450 Kg of limestone. The blast furnace consumes 4,500 Kg of air. The temperature at the core of the blast furnace reaches nearly 1,600 degrees C (about 3,000 degrees F).
    The pig iron is then transferred to the basic oxygen furnace to make steel.
    1,350 Kg of CO2 is emitted per 1,000 Kg pig iron produced.
    A further 1,460 Kg CO2 is emitted per 1,000 Kg of Steel produced so all up 2,810 Kg CO2 is emitted.
    45 tons of rebar (steel) are required so that equals 126.45 tons of CO2 are emitted.
    To create a 1,000 Kg of Portland cement, calcium carbonate (60%), silicon (20%), aluminium (10%), iron (10%) and very small amounts of other ingredients are heated in a large kiln to over 1,500 degrees C to convert the raw materials into clinker. The clinker is then interground with other ingredients to produce the final cement product. When cement is mixed with water, sand and gravel forms the rock-like mass know as concrete.
    An average of 927 Kg of CO2 is emitted per 1,000 Kg of Portland cement. On average, concrete has 10% cement, with the balance being gravel (41%), sand (25%), water (18%) and air (6%). One cubic metre of concrete weighs approx. 2,400 Kg so approx. 240 Kg of CO2 is emitted for every cubic metre.
    481m3 of concrete are required so that equals 115.4 tons of CO2 are emitted.
    Now I have not included the emissions of the mining of the raw materials or the transportation of the fabricated materials to the turbine site so the emission calculation above would be on the low end at best.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    southland
    Posts
    3,067
    yeah great put a nuclear disaster in all the major cities. after what happened in japan i dont want that crap here. fossil fuel can be replaced by bio fuel all that needs to happen is to change some farming of livestock to fuel production and make more use of waste products. if you look at most large tip sites and effluent sites they are happily burning of methane gas straight into open sky instead of using it to power a steam generator or compressing it to use elsewhere. wind farms are sited for best generation not for ease of transmission and also where they can get resource consent. people just dont want to change their lifestyle to or cant be bothered .how many actually look at power consumption on their big tvs rather than just look at the star rating or change the top loader washing machine for a front loader and use a clothes line instead of a dryer.use a woodfire instead of electric heating . people are getting too lazy and all they want is to throw a switch and pass the problem onto others.
    Pengy and Steve123 like this.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    6,285
    Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    yeah great put a nuclear disaster in all the major cities. after what happened in japan i dont want that crap here. fossil fuel can be replaced by bio fuel all that needs to happen is to change some farming of livestock to fuel production and make more use of waste products. if you look at most large tip sites and effluent sites they are happily burning of methane gas straight into open sky instead of using it to power a steam generator or compressing it to use elsewhere. wind farms are sited for best generation not for ease of transmission and also where they can get resource consent. people just dont want to change their lifestyle to or cant be bothered .how many actually look at power consumption on their big tvs rather than just look at the star rating or change the top loader washing machine for a front loader and use a clothes line instead of a dryer.use a woodfire instead of electric heating . people are getting too lazy and all they want is to throw a switch and pass the problem onto others.
    yep, but if you took the top of the beehive its the perfect shape for a nuclear cooling tower

  10. #10
    Member Sideshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,145
    Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    yep, but if you took the top of the beehive its the perfect shape for a nuclear cooling tower
    Could also look like a custard bowl if you stuck a big spoon in the top and gave it a stir
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    southland
    Posts
    3,067
    pretty crap custard . help your self.
    tetawa and Cordite like this.

  12. #12
    Load....Action....Instant ....Watch and Shoot! ishoot10s's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NW of the true capital...
    Posts
    1,409
    I wouldn’t suggest we buy a Russian or even an American reactor. The Japs were just jolly unlucky with location and vulnerability to the elements. Now the French, however, they’ve got their shit together. Areva make really great reactors that are actually environmentally friendly, I think they’re called an EPR. When you think about how much testing the French did down here in the South Pacific, it’s not really a surprise that they probably now have the best nuclear technology.
    Ryan, Tommy and Dago like this.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

  13. #13
    Member Sideshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,145
    Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    pretty crap custard . help your self.
    That’s why I said custard...I hate custard
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    16,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Been twiddling the old thumb lately - and I come up with this as an assessment:

    1. Ban on offshore drilling. This gets us approximately 10 years more clean LPG fuel, not a huge amount of change to oil production as most of the oil in NZ tends to be the manufacturing grades (think plastic production) or dirty heavy crap which is good for bitumen and ship fuel (this is where most of the sulphur dragged out of the modern low sulphur diesel gets disposed of from memory - not something that gets mentioned often).

    2. Ban on drilling = a deficit in local production of plastic precursors - the fix for this was the ban on plastic bags which happily coincides with the 'green' viewpoint which also coincides with the attempt to reduce the amount of plastic waste needing to be dealt with since those pesky Chinese decided to stop helping them out with concealing the issue...

    3. If we've banned drilling and banned plastics, we now have this pesky issue of needing to import more fuel. Hmmmm.... Nailed it - ban SUV's and Utes...

    Unfortunately - analyzing this comes up with a glaring impossibility in the new order. If we have huge numbers of people relying on gas for cooking and water heating, and less than 10 years of gas left we are either going back to cold showers and cave cooking OR we are importing massive quantities of LPG (with no coastal bulk storage and handling facilities in NZ) OR we are converting those houses to electrically powered ovens, hobs and water heating.

    Hmmmmmm #2 - if we are converting all these houses to electrically powered heating and cooking, at the same time that we want to convert our fleet of light vehicles to EV's - where is all of this spare capacity for electricity coming from considering that a large number of semi-rural areas are already borderline for electricity supply infrastructure?
    Iv heard of a company using 14,000 litres per day, none on the road or in vehicles! Who polluting? What’s the ratio in polluting between a 3 litre Ute and a logging truck? No mention of trucks or railway engines etc. just dickheads?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  15. #15
    Member Tommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    W-BOP
    Posts
    5,344
    Quote Originally Posted by ishoot10s View Post
    I wouldn’t suggest we buy a Russian or even an American reactor. The Japs were just jolly unlucky with location and vulnerability to the elements. Now the French, however, they’ve got their shit together. Areva make really great reactors that are actually environmentally friendly, I think they’re called an EPR. When you think about how much testing the French did down here in the South Pacific, it’s not really a surprise that they probably now have the best nuclear technology.
    Japs also has a bad habit of pretending problems didn't exist. They'll know something isn't right, but will ignore it
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. antler shedding date
    By ANOTHERHUNTER in forum Hunting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 26-06-2018, 05:16 PM
  2. Date Loaf
    By EeeBees in forum Game Cooking and Recipes
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-05-2016, 05:36 AM
  3. manurfacture date of tikka
    By northdude in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 21-04-2016, 06:59 AM
  4. Sea food use by date
    By Munsey in forum Off topic
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 25-02-2015, 06:49 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!