Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 110
Like Tree185Likes

Thread: Auckland housing cold?

  1. #1
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    20,154

    Auckland housing cold?

    Just watched a clip on the news about poor/cold housing in Auckland....moldy shitty run down I can understand but cold?
    I googled Auckland temps and came up with a lowest average temp of 11degc .
    I spos that is coolish if you dont light the fire or turn on the heater/heatpump but come on is cold housing really an issue in Auckland?
    I just cant fathom that with such a warm minimum average temperature that cold housing is a real issue.

    Your thoughts Aucklanders?
    gadgetman, BRADS, Tommy and 1 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

  2. #2
    Member Steve123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    What used to be Franklin
    Posts
    2,090
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Just watched a clip on the news about poor/cold housing in Auckland....moldy shitty run down I can understand but cold?
    I googled Auckland temps and came up with a lowest average temp of 11degc .
    I spos that is coolish if you dont light the fire or turn on the heater/heatpump but come on is cold housing really an issue in Auckland?
    I just cant fathom that with such a warm minimum average temperature that cold housing is a real issue.

    Your thoughts Aucklanders?
    It's probably more to do with the damp. Makes things feel colder. And remember any temp below ten is a catastrophic polar blast that freezes the froth on our latte's.

    Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Taupo
    Posts
    328
    Agree, our grand parents and earlier lived in structures that we would never live in now. But many cannot afford the heating, you can't go out and cut firewood in Dorkland. It's not cold, just inadequate clothing or heating.
    veitnamcam likes this.

  4. #4
    Member Sarvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Marlborough
    Posts
    2,822
    Most housing in NZ is cold
    My wife is from Russia/Ukraine - she freezes here.
    Over there they have good heating - 12-18" concrete walls that would take days to cool if heating stopped. That is in their apartment blocks.
    Their standalone home are built with solid construction - she laughs at our matchbox framing and cladding.

    A lot of people here sleep (or wake up) in Temps colder than inside their F~~cken Fridge

    And as Onyva says - clothing – here its all about trends and not practicality - wife cannot understand woman here that wear no socks and open-ish shoes in winter - then wonder why they all getting flue at least once every winter
    Pointer, stingray, Beaker and 4 others like this.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    16,812
    Tauranga’s just a bitch! In my chillibin house, that nobody likes!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  6. #6
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    20,154
    Quote Originally Posted by ONYVA View Post
    Agree, our grand parents and earlier lived in structures that we would never live in now. But many cannot afford the heating, you can't go out and cut firewood in Dorkland. It's not cold, just inadequate clothing or heating.
    That is it I think.
    Jandals and a Hawaiian floral dress/tee shirt are not appropriate winter wear in NZ even in Auck.
    We already have pretty robust rules around insulation etc of rentals......most rentals were much much better than my first home not long ago.
    Nelson is not real cold either but 3-5deg frost was common at my last house with no insulation and leaky wooden windows.
    At that time I was on very poor wages supporting a family and paying a mortgage but I always prioritized keeping the house warm,bought coal,weekends getting wood, power-bill in credit,get up in middle of night to stoke fire etc.
    Couldnt afford to buy a beer at all most weeks but my familly was warm in what was effectively a big wooden tent.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

  7. #7
    Member mikee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nelson, New Zealand
    Posts
    7,276
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    That is it I think.
    Jandals and a Hawaiian floral dress/tee shirt are not appropriate winter wear in NZ even in Auck.
    Shit thats me fucked then, Im a shorts t shirt and bare feet all year round except for work (cant get away with shorts and T shirt there

  8. #8
    Member gadgetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    14,893
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Just watched a clip on the news about poor/cold housing in Auckland....moldy shitty run down I can understand but cold?
    I googled Auckland temps and came up with a lowest average temp of 11degc .
    I spos that is coolish if you dont light the fire or turn on the heater/heatpump but come on is cold housing really an issue in Auckland?
    I just cant fathom that with such a warm minimum average temperature that cold housing is a real issue.

    Your thoughts Aucklanders?
    It often isn't that warm inside this place in winter.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

  9. #9
    MB
    MB is offline
    Member MB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Whangarei
    Posts
    946
    Damp. Shockingly poor house construction. No double glazing or insulation. No decent heating. The put-another-jump-on/HTFU attitude is fine until you look at the rates of respiratory disease in NZ. Housing is a big factor. Ideal room temperature in the civilised world is considered to be 18 - 21 degrees C. Some $ needs to be spent to achieve this, one way or another.
    Pointer and Beaker like this.

  10. #10
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    20,154
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Shit thats me fucked then, Im a shorts t shirt and bare feet all year round except for work (cant get away with shorts and T shirt there
    You and me bush stalking saint arnarud first big dump of snow juneish
    mikee likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

  11. #11
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    20,154
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyBoosh View Post
    Damp. Shockingly poor house construction. No double glazing or insulation. No decent heating. The put-another-jump-on/HTFU attitude is fine until you look at the rates of respiratory disease in NZ. Housing is a big factor. Ideal room temperature in the civilised world is considered to be 18 - 21 degrees C. Some $ needs to be spent to achieve this, one way or another.
    I am 40 and have never lived in a house with double glazing,I dont doubt it is a good thing,insulation is a good thing period and windows are a big part of that.
    21 actual real measured celcius here and I am putting the heat pumps on cold! I am not taking the piss either....our heat pumps (x2) do more work cooling in our humid summers than heating in winter.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    16,812
    Geeze I grew up with severe asthma in a 13’ stud with sarking and scrim with wallpaper that bellowed in the wind. In Masterton, pre global warming! No heating, your snot froze on your face when you slept, hot water bottles no electric blankets, in fact the house only had one 230 v outlet. We’ve become a bunch of snivelling soft cocks! Wear appropriate clothing!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  13. #13
    Member mikee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nelson, New Zealand
    Posts
    7,276
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    You and me bush stalking saint arnarud first big dump of snow juneish
    Yeah my wifes workmates have a standing joke that I only own 2 pairs of shorts, a "dress up and going out " pair and a "round home" pair

    I know NZ houses are cold but in a lot of cases local councils (mostly comprised of people who can afford heating) have banned the use of fires / coal fires to help the environment never mind the people who are now cold. FFS our neighbours had a log burner they could use when they owned the house but when they sold the house it could no longer be used by the new owner
    stingray and Maca49 like this.

  14. #14
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    20,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Geeze I grew up with severe asthma in a 13’ stud with sarking and scrim with wallpaper that bellowed in the wind. In Masterton, pre global warming! No heating, your snot froze on your face when you slept, hot water bottles no electric blankets, in fact the house only had one 230 v outlet. We’ve become a bunch of snivelling soft cocks! Wear appropriate clothing!
    Maca I dont doubt your story at all but who the hell built a house in that era with no fire/heating?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    .
    Posts
    1,873
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Maca I dont doubt your story at all but who the hell built a house in that era with no fire/heating?
    In all fairness open fires do not provide much in long term heating of a house over night, that's all they had back then other than there cousins to keep them warm

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Affordable housing ?
    By Frogfeatures in forum Off topic
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 07-09-2016, 11:08 PM
  2. Cold out there
    By puku in forum Off topic
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-07-2015, 10:35 AM
  3. WTB AN/PVS-7 goggles housing
    By Tasbay in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-06-2015, 10:30 AM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 18-04-2014, 07:29 PM
  5. Cold snap
    By sako75 in forum Off topic
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 30-05-2013, 01:11 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!