Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By Rees
  • 2 Post By csmiffy
  • 2 Post By mikee
  • 2 Post By muzza
  • 3 Post By Ben Waimata
  • 1 Post By Ben Waimata
  • 1 Post By outlander

Thread: Aussie firearms lisence

Aussie firearms lisence

How's it, moving to gold coast next year and want the lowdown on how to go about getting my lisence over there
    If you have first hand experience please let me know cheers

not much to shoot on the gold coast. qld has the worst rules i rekon. its all private land or nothin at the moment!

similiar sort of thing to nz but will likely cost a bit more.....

safe storage is next level to NZ to a degree,
    Blisters likes this.

in nsw at least you have to do so many shoots a year to keep your license valid a bit like pistols here-two separate licenses-1 for shotty and rimfires, another for centerfires. similar test to our or at least it was 10 odd years ago.
    You can have an endorsement for range shooting but also need one for game shooting for which you nee a form filled out by a farmer proving permission.
    If you are far enough away from a range you can get away with just the farm approval.
    There isn't so much public access-there is a difference between state parks and forests-you can hunt in one after you do a test and pay not a small fee. It also runs out so you have to do it every now and again. The other one is verboten
    check this out for reference
    https://ssaa.org.au/hunting/state-te...ng-regulations
    Also think from memory you cant just shoot on others farms without the form either. could be wrong on that.
    Also a stand-down period for the first firearm, after that its not too bad but compulsory registration.
    Rural is way better.
    You need to prove that you have a use for one unlike here where we have way more public access so it more if you are a nutter.
    If you are sticking to range shooting then maybe not so bad
    see why I never got my license there?
    Blisters and Cordite like this.

Jesus wept I'd heard it was bad but wow

Quote Originally Posted by Blisters View Post
    Coming to a town near you....

Quote Originally Posted by Blisters View Post
    Better to keep your NZ licence and come home on "shooting trips" many times per year.
    Steve123 and A330driver like this.

Will be doing that as well, pretty keen to set up a long range rig Over there for rabbits etc

just double check on my details.
    I sat the test but never got around to finishing the job which was 10 odd years ago. Only moved back home 2 years ago but I doubt very much its changed for the better. The govt and police hate amending their firearms laws to make it easier and as soon as someone tries to, the "Please remember port Arthur" catch cry comes out

Join the RIDGE Group. That will give you access to some properties with managed deer herds , and get you meeting other hunters.Tell Clarke McGhie that muzza sent you

https://www.theridgegroup.net/
    Sideshow and Blisters like this.
    Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Cheers muzza merry Christmas

The firearms rules put me off ever moving back to Aus. My wife is from NSW farming background, my elderly father-in-law has had serious problems with feral animals with the drought this year but can't get a semi to control them. He's using a bolt .223, he's knocked over hundreds of pigs this year but it takes many trips to get them, one gunshot and they run a mile. PC gone mad. They are very envious of our firearm laws.

But I'm happy to admit that in almost every other respect there would have been a lot of sense in bringing up our kids as Aussies instead, they've still got a better economy, better pay, cheaper houses etc, and generally easier for young fellas to get ahead.
    MB, Blisters and csmiffy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    The firearms rules put me off ever moving back to Aus. My wife is from NSW farming background, my elderly father-in-law has had serious problems with feral animals with the drought this year but can't get a semi to control them. He's using a bolt .223, he's knocked over hundreds of pigs this year but it takes many trips to get them, one gunshot and they run a mile. PC gone mad. They are very envious of our firearm laws.

But I'm happy to admit that in almost every other respect there would have been a lot of sense in bringing up our kids as Aussies instead, they've still got a better economy, better pay, cheaper houses etc, and generally easier for young fellas to get ahead.
    I agree completely unless they are a kiwi and then if it gets tough you get shat on. Older kids missed on quite a few things because they were kiwi, especially when they left high school and it takes 10 years to become a citizen. Had enough by then.
    If you are in a stable job wages etc are heaps better

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    I agree completely unless they are a kiwi and then if it gets tough you get shat on. Older kids missed on quite a few things because they were kiwi, especially when they left high school and it takes 10 years to become a citizen. Had enough by then.
    If you are in a stable job wages etc are heaps better
    Yeah, but in my case my kids can become Aussie citizens (by descent) automatically, and I have basically guaranteed Aus citizenship by marriage if I moved there before I get too much older, provided I don't pick up a criminal record first! Moving there as a kiwi without a secure high paying job or a defined citizenship path would be extremely risky. We get treated as the lowest part of Aus society.

My only skill set is in the agriculture area, and having had farming experience in Australia I would not want to swap NZ for farming in Aus. Snakes, cane toads, buffalo fly, termites eating your house, kangaroos and pigs eating all your crops, the list goes on. I was harvesting bananas once when suddenly something hit me so hard I thought I'd been shot in the face. Turned out we'd disturbed a hornet nest, one got me. Literally knocked me over, and the swelling was so fast my eyes had swollen shut within seconds and it was hard to breathe. Father-in-law happily telling me about one of the neighbours who had died from hornet sting a couple years previous didn't help much. I loved the beauty of NSW Northern Rivers region where my in-laws lived, rainforest-covered mountains and Mt Warning dominating the skyline, but where they've moved to now on the NSW Northern Tablelands is not particularly attractive, and the climate is horrible. -10C in winter and 45C+ in summer doesn't suit me, and lots of other farming regions in Aus have even worse weather.

Moving to Gold Coast sounds pretty good every NZ winter though.
    csmiffy likes this.

Oz.

There is only one thing worse than being a New Zealander in OZ and that's been a South African New Zealander.
    Man, you cop shit double time. I spent 10 years in Cairns a few years ago and between the weather and ' entering Oz via the backdoor ' shit talk, I'll never return. The Gold Coast... that's not living at all. It's the equivalent of two NZ cities on a bad day. Each to their own I guess.
    csmiffy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    The Gold Coast... that's not living at all. It's the equivalent of two NZ cities on a bad day.

Yeah, but Gold Coast hinterland or somewhere around Border Ranges is beautiful, or maybe around Mapleton for the altitude-moderated climate. Get into that rainforest area and you could be in the outback as far as neighbour awareness goes, but still close enough if you wanted a dose of city living. Which I don't btw, but some do.

I'm not giving up my SKK though! Apparently you can buy an AK in Melbourne... for $20,000 (and the strong potential of all-expenses paid accommodation for years to come).