Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Authors

Authors

I've always been a voracious reader
    Started back when I was read to as a youngster, adventure novels were the favourite, Willard Price springs to mind.

It's difficult to find something new, EG I read everything John le Carre wrote starting with "A Small Town in Germany" which is where you should start, then through to the end of the Tinker Taylor soldier Spy series the "Honorable School Boy" , But....Then What???

I don't want to go through Cormack McCarthy , Herman Melville , Harper Lee etc etc shit
    just writers that are reasonably contemporary.

I like well written descriptive prose, and went through the Elmore Leonard, Robert B Parker faze as did we all, Michael Connelly , akka Harry bosh that kept me going for awhile, Lincoln lawyer bores me to tears though I'm a fan of Matthew McConaughey.

There is so, so many, eg I've read everything James lee Burke has written and eagerly await anything new.

Found a new one last week

Don Winslow, Book called "The Border", Possibly the best thing I've read in awhile, and I read alot.
    I'm going to track down others he's written

If you haven't read James Le Burke I suggest you start.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Im a man of simple tastes...could be why I own every one of Wilber Smiths books..... have you tried James Michener???? librarian at high school put me onto his books after I was reading anything else in 2 days.....
    Gibo and erniec like this.

Michener sure ,love big sweeping novels so long as they keep my attention, first I read was Poland, then Caravans, lost my way a bit with Hawaii

Lee Hughes has written some really entertaining stuff.

I used to like John Sandford's crime novels.
    RIP Garry S. 23/08/19

Yeah John Sanford keep the entertainment going
    his 'Prey" novels are summer reading outstanding.

Tom Clancy anyone?
    Danny and Micky Duck like this.

Wilbur Smith also, love the African series and have all the books hes ever written.

Name:  IMG_0631.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  309.9 KB

Re-reading this right now actually.
    Gibo and Micky Duck like this.
    Dan M

stephen hunters "black light"..."dirty white boys" and particularly "point of impact"....plurry good reads, just re-read point of impact for about 4th time....... funny when book was written the long range bug hadnt really hit hunting community much,reading it now a lot of it makes more sense and is more believable/realistic as my expectations of what is possible have changed somewhat.

Terry pratchett, Neil Asher, Douglas M Banks, Mercedes Lackey, Branon Sanderson Issac Asimov, to name a few i like

Bryce Courtenay - not all if his works, but quite a few decent reads.
    Danny and Micky Duck like this.

This was a really entertaining and informative read... Borderline survivalist reading, non-fiction but really good actually...
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...saster-diaries

Farley Mowat - "The Boat Who Wouldn't Float" - a wonderfully humorous book, just makes you chuckle all the way through. His "And no bird sang" is a very powerful story of the Canadian infantry in Italy in WW11, its written as a young adults book but is anything but.

Some of his later political views were a bit contentious but that shouldn't diminish enjoying his writtings.

I started out with Willard Price as a kid- that and The Machinegunners by Robert Westall and I Am David by Ann Holm

These days I am more into William Trevor and non-fiction

Although you may hate SF, I would always recommend Iain M Banks' Consider Phlebas and if you can handle that then Use of Weapons is good but fairly dark

Robert Crais; Elvis Cole & Joe Pike novels, fun reading!

I also used to read Willard Price novels as a kid - I had the entire series. Also used to enjoy Hardy Boys and the Secret Seven and Famous Five. Coupled to that the Tin Tin and Asterix comics were also firm childhood favourites. As I got older, started enjoying Wilbur Smith's series of books - and Tom Clancy's original works.

Diversified substantially since then but core theme is military history.
    Bol Tackshin likes this.
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".