Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR Knives Africa

User Tag List

Like Tree1372Likes

Thread: Aviation enthusiast thread

FYI: Can't edit posts for some reason but ^ is the USAF.
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".

- Manservant

Passenger did this. Amazing that people can do with a go pro and a phone these days.

gadgetman, stug, Ryan and 5 others like this.

Got to work to early this arvo as boss sent me a text.So I went to the the local strip club for a look to full in time.
    Name:  picture 01 1130.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  163.0 KBName:  picture 01 1131.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  156.9 KBName:  picture 01 1132.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  164.1 KB
    Beaker and A330driver like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

gadgetman likes this.
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".

- Manservant

@A330driver - I bet you're pleased you don't fly B777''s! They're obviously bloody useless.

Name:  VAFDR_07 Jul. 11 17.25-1.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  35.3 KB

I have the fuse cover from a "Tall boy" bomb that was ditched over Asky after the Germans obscured the U Boat Pens in Bergen.
    The Lancasters couldn't fly home with the Bomb,so they had to ditch them.I found it 1.5km from the Crater.

It is a humbling experience reading the headstones in the War Cemetery in Bergen, just kids in their early 20's flying on instruments over the north sea against the luftwaffe and their night fighters patrolling 200 miles off the coast.Brave men,we owe everything we have to them,
    gadgetman, Ryan, Scouser and 2 others like this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    I have the fuse cover from a "Tall boy" bomb that was ditched over Asky after the Germans obscured the U Boat Pens in Bergen.
    The Lancasters couldn't fly home with the Bomb,so they had to ditch them.I found it 1.5km from the Crater.

It is a humbling experience reading the headstones in the War Cemetery in Bergen, just kids in their early 20's flying on instruments over the north sea against the luftwaffe and their night fighters patrolling 200 miles off the coast.Brave men,we owe everything we have to them,
    That's pretty cool. The exploits of 617 squadron has long captured my attention. Do you have a photo of that part you could share? I'd love to see it.

The Internet is awesome for the likes of us, stuck on this side of the world. I recently found photos of the original maps they used in flight planning the dam raids and, following Google Earth, found photos of memorial plaques where aircraft were downed during that fateful night. Even now, 70 years later you can still see the bomb craters in the fiord where they attacked the Tirpitz. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by planenutz View Post
    That's pretty cool. The exploits of 617 squadron has long captured my attention. Do you have a photo of that part you could share? I'd love to see it.

The Internet is awesome for the likes of us, stuck on this side of the world. I recently found photos of the original maps they used in flight planning the dam raids and, following Google Earth, found photos of memorial plaques where aircraft were downed during that fateful night. Even now, 70 years later you can still see the bomb craters in the fiord where they attacked the Tirpitz. Amazing.
    I can give you a peice of the Tirpitz if you like?
    You could get someone to make you a knife from it?

52,000 Tonn dosnt just disappear into thin air.Mostly all the steel plates used to cover excavation work here is from the bulkheads of the Tirpitz. These are identifiable by the numbers written in weld on each piece. I am coming home to the south island at Xmas,I will post some to you from there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    gadgetman, Scouser, Beaker and 2 others like this.

52,000 Tonn dosnt just disappear into thin air.Mostly all the steel plates used to cover excavation work here is from the bulkheads of the Tirpitz. These are identifiable by the numbers written in weld on each piece. I am coming home to the south island at Xmas,I will post some to you from there.
    @norsk PM sent, i would love a piece of that!!!!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Yeah mate...bloody good laugh at that one...bloody journo,s........didn’t do Boeing any good with that little gem of a statement.......have never run out of petrol ....then again ,never want to.....you can never have enough

Quote Originally Posted by planenutz View Post
    @A330driver - I bet you're pleased you don't fly B777''s! They're obviously bloody useless.

Attachment 91054
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

Quote Originally Posted by A330driver View Post
    you can never have enough
    Only got too much when youre on fire.
    shift14 and Max Headroom like this.

Yeah mate... I knew that would be coming... testing the water as it were

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    Only got too much when you’re on fire.
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

I thought by now the Tirpitz would have been used for special medical instruments cos it's before the radiation in the atmosphere from the nukes.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    I thought by now the Tirpitz would have been used for special medical instruments cos it's before the radiation in the atmosphere from the nukes.

Not sure about that mate?

Not sure about that mate?
    Maybe I should have said it more articulately.

Essentially some of the medical instruments or instruments in general are very sensitive to radiation. And it is best for them to be made out of metal that has less radiation inherently in it. But because every bit of metal made today has the increased level of radiation due to Hiroshima and Nagasaki you can't use it.

But metal from old battleships is especially good as there is a lot of it.

It's a big problem in the Pacific. Lots of old ship wrecks have disappeared. Which is sad.