Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Bandwidth Burner?

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

Bandwidth Burner?

My internet connection has started to go south with crap download speed.
    My UFB plan is capped @ 30Mbps and I have found, by elimination, that my TV is murdering my bandwidth.
    The telly is a Panasonic Smart TV with wifi. I've networked it with cable back to my router as its only a short run so wifi is not necessary.
    I can get full 30Mbps with TV off and it drops to anywhere from 0.5 - 7Mbps with it on regardless of what I am doing on it (I can watch terrestrial TV or stream Netflix without difference) even in standby it chews data!
    What the fuck is it doing with all that data?
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

sounds like you've found the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    sounds like you've found the problem?
    On wet days I like to be able to watch TV and use the computer.

Plus I can stream a full HDTV show with less data use. Where the fuck is it going. Ive checked the telly for leaks and see no binary code leaking out the sides.
    Feral likes this.
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

I would talk to someone from where you bought the tv. No way it should be using that much data all the time.

You sure its that only device choking the internet?

I would talk to someone from where you bought the tv. No way it should be using that much data all the time.

You sure its that only device choking the internet?
    30Mbps ON. 0.7Mbps OFF. Fairly conclusive test I thought

somethings not right with the tv. Go into the settings and turn off smart features (if you can)
    It doesnt have a webcam does it?

somethings not right with the tv. Go into the settings and turn off smart features (if you can)
    Defeats the reason for buying a Smart TV?
    It doesnt have a webcam does it?
    Shit, I hope not!!
    P38, K95, gadgetman and 5 others like this.

Smart Tv's are no less than a PC usually running Linux, to connect to the internet for the ability to watch Nextflix and such.
    Unfortunately there are a lot of these smart TV's now that have embedded software that allow the maker to track what you watch, when you watch it and this data is collected and used or sold on.
    This data collecting is now a multi million (possibly Billion) $ Industry of it own.
    Your unusual data usage could be a hacker (these TV can be hacked or manipulated), or firmware continually updating or a firmware malfunction.
    Depending on how old your modem/router is you can track which device is using it services and which way its going ie Uploading or downloading.
    Grim, gadgetman and gonetropo like this.

TV doesn't sound that smart to me!
    “The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.” - Thucydides 463BC

Neighbour sitting within range hacking in and downloading shit...?
    P38 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    That is quiet a possibility, and using the tv to passively bypass the router, how far do you live away from @kiwijames

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Smart TVs are disturbing things to have in your homes.

Is the TV just interfering with your router channels? Is it set to prioritize the TV or something weird? So rather than the TV consuming all your bandwidth its just interfering with the router?
    Could be as simple as the IP address being the same as the router.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    Dont think so. Using security on the Wifi network.

Quote Originally Posted by Natatale View Post
    Smart Tv's are no less than a PC usually running Linux, to connect to the internet for the ability to watch Nextflix and such.
    Unfortunately there are a lot of these smart TV's now that have embedded software that allow the maker to track what you watch, when you watch it and this data is collected and used or sold on.
    This data collecting is now a multi million (possibly Billion) $ Industry of it own.
    Your unusual data usage could be a hacker (these TV can be hacked or manipulated), or firmware continually updating or a firmware malfunction.
    Depending on how old your modem/router is you can track which device is using it services and which way its going ie Uploading or downloading.
    On PC using speedtest.com I am seeing massive download speed reduction when TV is switched on, and equal improvement with TV switched off. Upload speed does not appear to suffer as bad, and is often faster than download with telly on.

Quote Originally Posted by Natatale View Post
    On my Mac using speedtest.com I am seeing massive download speed reduction when TV is switched on, and equal improvement with TV switched off. Upload speed does not appear to suffer as bad, and is often faster than download with telly on.