Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Battery power tools for Heavy DIY use

Battery power tools for Heavy DIY use

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a decent set of battery power tools for home use, thinking the usual Cordless drill and then things like jigsaw, skill saw etc.
    They will be getting pretty heavy use, I managed to overheat and kill a Bosch router a while back.

Am currently thinking Dewalt or Bosch Blue, as they are both readily available, but some folk swear by Makita and Hitachi so would consider these, along with any other recommendations. I have used quite a few different Ryobi tools over the years, and have found them to be surprisingly good considering they are a fair bit cheaper.

Can anyone first hand experience of what to get or to avoid, when it comes to good quality power tools.
    Cheers.

Do they have to be cordless? I have found that the makita 18v stuff is good for drills but the older model skillsaw, angle grinder and saber saw are woefully underpowered. On the up upside i have had 2 makita batteries for 8-9 years and they have only just died and that is with trade use. If going the makita route make sure you get brushless motor models as these have more grunt.

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk
    Sideshow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a decent set of battery power tools for home use, thinking the usual Cordless drill and then things like jigsaw, skill saw etc.
    They will be getting pretty heavy use, I managed to overheat and kill a Bosch router a while back.

Am currently thinking Dewalt or Bosch Blue, as they are both readily available, but some folk swear by Makita and Hitachi so would consider these, along with any other recommendations. I have used quite a few different Ryobi tools over the years, and have found them to be surprisingly good considering they are a fair bit cheaper.

Can anyone first hand experience of what to get or to avoid, when it comes to good quality power tools.
    Cheers.
    Hitachi have a good special on at present PM me and I'll quote you a kit at what I get them for, have to be a cash deal that's all, also tell me the tools you want. 6 ah batteries
    gadgetman, Munsey and Nibblet like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

ebf
    I pretty much do "heavy DIY use" for a living

Unless you are VERY far from a socket, and want to spend LOTS of money on extra batteries, do yourself a favour and get corded tools. I run a couple of cordless Makita drill/driver combos, everything else is corded - with a nice looooong extension lead.

Go and speak to any of the guys at reputable powertool shops (Power Tool Centre etc), they will very quickly tell you that things like cordless angle grinders, circular saws etc are not going to cut it...

Brand wise I am a bit of a Makita whore... Have yet to encounter one that breaks !
    Pointer and mikee like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby
    Black rifles matter...

Hitachi angle grinder super under powered - same as makita
    Hitachi 18v drill is a good one.
    Hitachi impact wrenches are all good for small bolts etc, step up to snap on for serious grunt.
    Couple of my plumber mates recommend milwalki and say the other brands arnt as robust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

MSL
    The new brushless angle grinders have loads of grunt compared to previous models
    Maca49 likes this.

MSL
    The trouble with corded stuff is that one day you will find yourself far from a power point with a bunch of useless corded tools. Battery tools have their limitations but will get the job done with out worrying about a power source, so long as you have enough charged batteries of course.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    The trouble with corded stuff is that one day you will find yourself far from a power point with a bunch of useless corded tools. Battery tools have their limitations but will get the job done with out worrying about a power source, so long as you have enough charged batteries of course.
    Have to agree made building the new phesant pen sooooo much easier!

New battery technology is good, hitachi just put out their 6 a/h ones. Milwaukee is over priced, pain in the bum for parts, like ARG ex Aussie. Made in China, not the great tools of the past, made in the USA and Germany! I call them a marketing company, not a tool company. Dewalt have good tools but back up can be a pain. Makita and Hitachi are good tools and great back up, spares in NZ, Bosch is good, spares ex Aussie 3 days. My opinion, bought an Ozito Rotary hammer today $99.00 just to lift tiles! No probs, so horses for courses, no spares avail if you need em!
    gadgetman likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Makita............................and if you looked at ALL the battery tools on my current work site you would find Makita and Bosch not much of anything else

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    And with current HSE on most sights if you take the tool and a heap of batteries then you dont need the "test and Tag" thing provided you don't need to charge them
    Maca49 likes this.

MSL
    Exactly why I use them
    Maca49 and Steve123 like this.

If you had said battery drill and impact driver I would have said Hilti . I managed to kill the drill I started with in my apprenticeship after 9 years of hardcore use and the batteries are still going. It was a 14.4v by the way!The warranty works really well if problems occurs.you get a battery drill on loan while yours get repaired.

For the multi tools kit ..etc see what was said above.

Hilti - think it is 22V? Good stuff

My Milwaukee 24V Drill is good but the range is somewhat limited compared to their 18V range which I can recommend - the 18V charger that does 6 batteries is good

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I am definitely after cordless, I always find myself miles away from a power source and find corded tools a pain compared to cordless.
    Sounds like Hitachi or Bosch is what I should be looking at, I would definitely be looking at the new brushless tools.

What about when it comes to the gruntier tools that require plugging in, like drop saws etc?