Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree177Likes

Thread: Being a Dad

Being a Dad

Since my little daughter was born, coming up six months now, the other hand on this farm has taken it upon himself to go off the rails. This means I have rather a lot of work to do at a time when I also need to do a lot at home.

My daughter likes to look at our chickens. Today I shot in for 2 minutes to grab my fence tester because I had wrapped a high tensile fence around the tractor. She was looking out the window, but there were no chickens. I took some oats from the kitchen and scattered them under the window. The chickens appeared and I received big smiles. This made my day.

What is the key to being a good Dad? I would like to be one.
    Beaker, Gibo, madmaori and 2 others like this.
    The last Boy Scout

Sounds like it's" all goods"you a natural
    Tussock likes this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out." -

Caretaker
    All they want from you is love and time
    Shootm, Tahr, veitnamcam and 9 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    + Good guidance and money later on.
    veitnamcam, planenutz and Tussock like this.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    I agree that is the best you can give them .I regret all the time I spent away working thinking I needed to earn good money to spend on them rather than being home . don't plan on making that mistake anymore now that I have nearly 8 grandkids time with them becomes even more important.

I asked my kids .the boy said making me smile, so you have that bit sorted. My oldest girl said spending time (hunting) with her. Middle girl said why is he asking that on a hunting forum!! she's the thinker in the family .I'm sure you will nail it without even knowing it.some of the best father daughter time I have had is in the bush roasting marshmallows on a camp fire.
    Moa Hunter, planenutz and Tussock like this.

Don't know. I'm far too young to be one.

Though it's getting more ridiculous when I go to the shops now. Not only do I have strange kids looking at me and smiling all big eyed, but the little buggers have taken to reaching out for me. Oh, and strange dogs and cats keep rolling over for a tummy scratch. And any of the offshoots that happen to be with me notice too.
    Tussock likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

On a more serious note, it depends what stage they're at. The big thing is any time you can make is good time.

One of the most useful things I was told was the difference in speaking to boys and girls. Talking to a boy: Don't stand in front of him looking him straight in the eye, you'll freak him out. Talk shoulder to shoulder. Girl: Look straight in the eye. It does work.
    sako75, planenutz and Tussock like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

MB
    Based on my memories of being a child and what my little boy says, they just want to be around you and involved with whatever you're doing, rather than being ignored.

When my daughter got married, in her speech she thanked us for the awesome life we had given her up till then, the things we had done together and the holidays at the lakes and the beaches etc.
    Cant get better than that.
    Then, about five years later, on my birthday, she gave me a card, It thanked me for holding her hand a guiding her through life, she then said it was time to let go of my hand and take her husbands in its place for their life together.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Yup, chickens are my sons favourite. 13months old.
    He also likes guns, Especially the AR15 that I found him crawling all over...... couldnt get him away from it. I guess the apple falls near the tree.
    gadgetman and Tussock like this.
    Use enough gun

On ya’s

Well in my opinion, being a good dad would be giving the child someone to look up to. A good example. Lead a child in the way they should go and they shall not depart from it.
    gadgetman, 40mm and Tussock like this.

I'm not a dad but I am a stepdad to two amazing kids and I think that time and attention are the best things.
    They really thrive on it and just being involved in what you are doing and you being interested in what they are up to puts a smile on thier faces.
    And reading books to them
    Fixing thier stuff
    Building forts
    Making lego
    Putting clothes on dolls
    Etc etc

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
    Maca49, Beaker, madmaori and 4 others like this.

I am a dad to two young men now so got a few years under my belt. As you know @Tussock they don't pop out with a users manual.
    My wife once said to me , make the most of the time now as they are never that age again. Your daughter will never be 6 months old again so be there and be involved.
    Despite the advice I made the wrong call sometimes and should have being there for events or occasions that will never happen again, I regret it now but am wiser for it.
    You will be a Hero to your kids and a great Dad mate, TIME is the things you need to grab .
    My boy's love me and I am proud of them but I could have done better, if I could turn back the clock I would have grabbed every opportunity to be there more for them and my wife, my 5 cents of wisdom mate for what it's worth.