Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Knives Africa DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Best free standing wood fire (rural - non compliant)

Quote Originally Posted by specweapon View Post
    Yunca have always been good or Masport.
    We put a Masport R5000 in our massive 2 story house last year, cut our fuel use in half. No complaints at all, just be sure to get one of those self powered stovetop fans for it
    self powered stovetop fan?????
    25/08IMP likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Slightly off topic but may throw some light on Masport
    Have had a few free standing log fires over a long time in various houses - Fisher, another Fisher, Metro and then a Firenzo Contessa
    The Contessa was in a large Cambridge house and it was a beast with high output and good for overnight slow burning
    Bought a large BOP house that has a couple of Masport LE4000 inbuilt log fires - we only use one - permanent fan connection to drive out heat once firebox is hot - fan goes most of night until firebox cools down - impossible to slow burn overnight as you just canít stop it flaring - has a sign on it that says - Australia burn hardwood only - NZ burn softwood only - have put plenty of good wood like manuka through it - four years old - first fan was farked at two years old, just replaced top plates and side plates need replacing now - be nice to be able to slow the burn rate down a bit as it uses truckloads of wood
    Although they look nice - I wouldnít recommend an inbuilt log fire or a Masport to anyone - if we build again it will be a Contessa

It's not a brand issue that is due to the clean air reg that if you are on a property under two hectares you have to have a clean air fire which is a fire that will not shut down so you have very little control over the amount of air into the fire.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Best free standing wood fire-- A 44 gallon drum with plenty of axe holes in it plus a gallon of diesel and a sackful of pine cones does the trick. Chuck a reinforcing grate over the top if you need a cook-up.
    viper likes this.

What did you end up installing @Shearer ?

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    What did you end up installing @Shearer ?
    @Moutere. Haven't done it yet but getting a Masport R5000. Time will tell if it is the right decision.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I highly recommend a lady kitchener https://www.firenzo.co.nz/product/de...lady-kitchener I know a few people who have these and are very happy with there performance
    I have a millan rural inbuilt. Five years old and poked, only made for soft wood pine etc. Part of rural fire is burning hardwood so it keeps on going all night long and pumps out the heat when it snows etc
    Last edited by bigbear; 14-05-2018 at 11:01 PM.

We have had an Aussie made combined fire with two upper hot plates and oven underneath the main large firebox, called "gourmet". Burns anything, heats the entire house and most of the winter we do all our cooking on it and in it. The regulators cannot deprive you of your main means of cooking. Cost $7000 installed but worth every penny.

We've got one of them too Haven't had the element turned on for hot water for three years.
    It's the same one as the Mcaulay hut has. After seeing the thrashing that one gets I think it will last for ever.
    madjon_ likes this.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    I highly recommend a lady kitchener https://www.firenzo.co.nz/product/de...lady-kitchener I know a few people who have these and are very happy with there performance
    I have a millan rural inbuilt. Five years old and poked, only made for soft wood pine etc. Part of rural fire is burning hardwood so it keeps on going all night long and pumps out the heat when it snows etc
    Canít go wrong with a lady Kitchener, nice deep firebox for big wood, and the are very solid.

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08IMP View Post
    Not sure if you know but Metro are made in the same factory as Masport, Masport have a far better warranty and a lot of their models are made of a heavier gauge of steel than Metro.
    Ask any retailer about how many Wee Rads they have had replaced because the top split, also internal parts are way more expensive to buy.
    As for getting what you pay for I hate paying for a BMW and getting a mini.
    Yes our wee rad split on the top after two tears, replaced under warranty but wouldnt get another
    25/08IMP likes this.

I think you will find all fires are only covered for burning sort wood.
    As all their testing is done with sort wood being pine.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    As above.
    Expert advice and random opinion thanks.
    could just built a custom unit.

Quote Originally Posted by mucko View Post
    could just built a custom unit.
    Can't build your own if you want to get it permitted.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk