Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: best water pump ??

best water pump ??

Hey guys I need some advice. We are building a house at the moment and need to buy a water pump as the pressure in the place we are building is crap. We will install a small holding tank of around 750 - 1000 ltrs which ill be feed by the community supply. However at certain times when the use age is high the flow i hopeless. So our water will come to the holding tank and be then boosted from there for house hold use.
    The house is quite large ( 300 sq ) and I want to make sure we have a kick arse pressure.
    Firstly what are the brands I should be looking for ? : ie Grundfos, Davey, Wallace etc.
    Next question of course is any recommendations on size ?

This is not a area I have much experience in so any advice would be great...........thanks

Italian pumps are really good. I've got one that does 4 houses and some troughs cost a thousand dollars single phase with all the pressure gear inside it and about 40psi. I'll have a look for the name tomorrow.

Any of the brands you have listed will have options available. The pump supplier should be able to provide you with recommendations based on your supply head, pressure and flow required, and head losses based on pipe sizing etc inside your house. One thing to be aware of is motor size. Look for a pump that is efficient, and therefore for a given performance curve, has as small a motor as possible. Pumps can suck a lot of power, which will push your power bill up - just ask anyone with a swimming pool.
    The other thing to consider is putting a decent size pressure tank in as well. Most modern pump systems have done away with pressure tanks and use flow demand pressure switches which means that the pump tuns on and off pretty much in tune with you turning a tap on and off. This means that when the kids brush their teeth, the pump switches on 5-8 times. Motor starting current is high, causing wear and tear on the motor and increases power consumption. A pressure tank with reduce the number of pump start/stops.

My tanks are about 10m head below my house. The pump design guy wanted to put in a 4Kw horizontal multi stage pump!! That would have meant that every time the pump started it would be the equivalent of 40 x 100w light bulbs turning on.
    I ended up putting in a vertical muti stage deep well pump into the inside of the tank. It is only 0.75Kw and the pressure and flow is such that my lever arm taps are hard to turn on, and if you put the shower on full flow it will lift your skin off
    Beaker, Hunt4life and timattalon like this.

Hey @viper. I'm a Davey pumps agent and can hook you up.
    I'm guessing maybe @hotbarrels has a Davey D42A/B submersible multistage pump in his tank? These are a great option, and will last around 7-10 years on average.
    However, based on what you e said above, I'd probably steer you down the Jet pump road with pressure tank on top.
    I think I have your mobile number from when you lived in BoP, but if not, I'll send you a pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuk the Davies, Wallace and Italian shite, a Grundfos JP4 pt is the go. Quit and super efficient.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Definitely get one with a pressure tank. Had my pump in for repairs and the loaner was one without the pressure tank and what a bastard of an idea. It was always clicking on and off, every glass of water i got it would fire up. My tanks are 1m above the pump and the kitchen bench is 3.4m above the pump (pump is in basement) and water level in tanks is between the pump and tap so very little pressure required. Was very happy to get my pump back.

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Just a PS. on my earlier post, I am not recommending that you put a submersible in your tank like mine unless you need to pump to a high head like I do. You need to do the flow calc's to establish your specific application, then find a pump with a performance curve that best matches your application.

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    Fuk the Davies, Wallace and Italian shite, a Grundfos JP4 pt is the go. Quit and super efficient.
    In the 25 years we have been in our current house except for the Wallace, that is exactly the order of house pumps we have had. The Davies cracked its casing (on a Saturday evening of course), the Italian job although a good pump failed when a diaphram in the electronic controller ruptured (priced a replacement f..k you want how much?) and finally the Grundfos. Still going strong. Was expensive to buy and looked a bit agricultural compared to the others but it does the job - feeds a 2 storey house from a tank maybe 3 metres below bottom storey ground level.

The other thing is the Grunfos has a local agency with a callout service. The Itaian job has a local agency also but wouldn't answer their 24 hrs phone.

When you are not on town supply your house pump reliability is paramount.

A few years back I had a house pump fail, ....... on Christmas eve!
    Rang the agents and got the receptionist. She told me that they were closed and I needed to ring back in the new year ......
    Told her she didn't understand the problem - no pump means no water, no water means .........! I also explained that the pump was still under warrant.
    She apologized, but said that the sales and service team were already on their holidays, and that I would need call back in the new year [WTF??]
    I told her again, you didn't understand the problem - no pump means no water, no water means .........!
    I asked her if she had a key to the warehouse. She paused, but said "yeeeees". I said good, I'm on my way.
    Got to the agents business in short time, went into the warehouse, selected a new pump, left the dud on the service guys work bench and headed home.

Never did get a call in the new year ......
    Savage1, Gerbs, Hunt4life and 4 others like this.

I'm just about to put in a pump. Our tanks are approximately 7 metres below our floor level.

Would I be better off putting another tank above the house and pump from bottom tanks to one above the house and use gravity to feed the house, or just put a pump at the bottom tanks to feed the house?

Nice easy platforms above house anywhere from 2 - 10 metres above house floor level.

One thing to bear in mind is if you are using gas water heating you need a minimum of 6m head or a pressure pump that's equivalent

Just throwing it out there, don't confuse a Davies pump with a Davey pump. Different manufacturers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    I'm just about to put in a pump. Our tanks are approximately 7 metres below our floor level.

Would I be better off putting another tank above the house and pump from bottom tanks to one above the house and use gravity to feed the house, or just put a pump at the bottom tanks to feed the house?

Nice easy platforms above house anywhere from 2 - 10 metres above house floor level.
    Gravity feed sucks, except when you have a power failure, and you have a header tank high as like on the highest point on your property. Also all your taps etc will be set up for mains pressure I assume?
    If you haven't already bought your pump you need to visit an agent and match your requirements to a suitable pump. ie head, size of house, major water consuming appliances. All pump manufacturers generally have guide charts. I did all that and then spent extra and went one pump up from the most suitable one.

Also scratching the old school day's physics a tank at 10 metres will still only give you ~14PSI pressure or 1 atmosphere. I could be wrong on this though.

We repair all makes of pumps and I find Grundfos and Davey are bastards for parts as you have to deal in their protective dealer network, they get you by the balls. Grundfos, just have a lead repair, it aint simple, silly special lead with pin connectors, our cost, thru their local agent about $250 + GST. There are better options I think. Just get a known name WITH backup and good warranty.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

@Maca49 At least Davey protect their stockists and do not deal direct with everybody like most modern un loyal companies..
    You moan your tits off about electric motor sluts and then moan your tits off about a company that supports
    and looks after their stockists... You ll have no tits left soon Hard to win in your camp

Happy New Year ya Grinch ha ha ha ....
    Hunt4life likes this.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..