Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Best way to get money to the USA

So I am going to the USA in a few months to travel for six weeks before starting a new job.

I want to exchange some NZD for USD now at the fairly good rate and have it in an electronic account for when I get there.

Once I am there and have my tax details sorted etc I will open an account with whatever bank is in the closest town to where I will be working.

In the mean time what is the best way to get some money exchanged and fixed at the current rate? I want to keep the fees as low as possible but do not mind taking out say 500usd at a time once in the states. I just don't want to travel there with large amounts of cash

Once I open an account in the US I will withdraw all money and put it in that one
    Last edited by .22-250 everything; 02-08-2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Thought of something else

Its not easy for a non resident to open an account over there these days. Is your new job over there & you have a visa? We always just get cash or load up a NZ credit card, you can get them in foreign currency now just not sure of the fee's.

edit: I need to work on my comprehension..

Even my wife who is a US citizen can't just rock up & open an account as she's not a resident any more.

I regularly buy cash when have a bit spare & the rate is good. BNZ charges $10 up to $1000 then a percentage after that. So it pays to get a few 100 at a time.
    Last edited by Spiker; 02-08-2012 at 02:17 PM.

I have used one of these.

Travelex New Zealand > For You > Cash Passport

Bloody great, you can buy the currency you want, when it suits, you then withdraw it via ATM, pretty much anywhere in the world. No problem to withdraw the unspent bit when you get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremic View Post
    I have used one of these.

Travelex New Zealand > For You > Cash Passport

Bloody great, you can buy the currency you want, when it suits, you then withdraw it via ATM, pretty much anywhere in the world. No problem to withdraw the unspent bit when you get home.
    Yeah, these things are great. I use an ANZ Travel Card.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    You can get debit cards you can load up with $US at todays rate
    Most banks do them.
    AirNZ new Airpoints card is one - done via BNZ IIRC

Cheers guys, might look into one of those cash passports. Yes my job is over there and I have a visa application pending but the company is pretty certain it will be approved.

Regarding opening an account I assume because I am being paid in USD by a US based company I would need on to be paid into. I doubt I would be paid with cash or cheque as there are a fair few employees. I will get in contact and see what the go is.

In the mean time I think I will get one of those cards. Thanks heaps for your help