Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Bi-pod question ?

Bi-pod question ?

Have fitted a bi-pod to the .270 ,sighted in at weekend & pretty happy with it.
    But nagging question about change of POI when not shooting off bi-pod .
    Will that change or not ? Supposed to be a floating barrel & Bi-pod attaches
    to sling swivel .What are your thoughts being a synthetic stock on T3 Lite?
    Gun control means using both hands

Mine doesnt change poi from bi pod to no bi pod mate. Best way is to try it

If there was any change of POI it would be more to do with the different way you hold your rifle with or without the bipod
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Think will have my fore hand wrapped round legs of bi-pod to shoot off hand & should of thrown a shot at target from that position.If had thought about it at the time not 2 days later.Have a trip down Gizzy in couple of weeks & may encounter a longer shot than normal. Hence bi-pod but what if I get a close animal & haven't got time to fanny around,bout how my luck runs too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Think will have my fore hand wrapped round legs of bi-pod to shoot off hand & should of thrown a shot at target from that position.If had thought about it at the time not 2 days later.Have a trip down Gizzy in couple of weeks & may encounter a longer shot than normal. Hence bi-pod but what if I get a close animal & haven't got time to fanny around,bout how my luck runs too.
    Do you have them folded forward or folded back?...you might be better off using a shooting stick...you can bet your boots that the time you throw yourself down for a shot there will be something in the way.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Banned
    My Advice would be to practice shooting of a day bag for your long shot's( you might surprise yourself) and just have the bi pod in the bag for the awkward shots were its hard to get a decent rest.also practice standing shots with your bi pod on ....cant hurt.If shooting with a bi pod is what your keen on then practice every possible shooting stance/position with it on.

jasen

The legs fold back.Had thought about a shooting stick /walking stick in my case.May be a clever option worth giving some more thought.Didn't turn me on laying down on wet grass in the Waitenue hut clearing to sight in.Had a venison been offering I don't see a problem with it.

Not as much being keen on bi-pod as setting the rifle up for longer shots,the reason for .270w ,bi-pod & range finder Leupold scope.

If the legs fold back off hand may be a bitch, maybe leave extended then at least you have a good grip on the fore end.

Folding them back sounds looks and im sure is actually wrong. I thought you were meant to have it forward so you can push into it and it wont fold up haha
    Maca49 and Gibo like this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Got it on backwards
    BRADS likes this.

Don't think it'll fit on so the legs fold forward but I'd be concerned about it getting hooked in every bit a scrub in creation.The legs seem to lock pretty well & the leaf springs in built appear to absorb a lot of recoil to stop it moving.Not sure leaning into it is the right thing ,you would be better pulling the rifle back into your shoulder.

Banned
    I watched a very good shooter compete well at a gong shoot with a Bi pod on backwards,i couldn't get my head around either but he shot well and it was how he perfered it so it comes down to the individual and how well they shoot.
    Toby likes this.

Ah a lot of shooters may disagree mate. What brand is it if i may ask?
    BRADS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    My Advice would be to practice shooting of a day bag for your long shot's( you might surprise yourself) and just have the bi pod in the bag for the awkward shots were its hard to get a decent rest.also practice standing shots with your bi pod on ....cant hurt.If shooting with a bi pod is what your keen on then practice every possible shooting stance/position with it on.

jasen
    Agreed - even doing load development I shoot off a day bag on the bench and use the sling wrap as support, exactly as I would shoot in the field offhand or sitting or prone, so I don't use a bipod at all and don't have to change anything I do or carry extra weight hanging on the rifle .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Don't think it'll fit on so the legs fold forward but I'd be concerned about it getting hooked in every bit a scrub in creation.The legs seem to lock pretty well & the leaf springs in built appear to absorb a lot of recoil to stop it moving.Not sure leaning into it is the right thing ,you would be better pulling the rifle back into your shoulder.
    If your planning on using it for longer shots there is a good chance you have time to wip it out of your day bag maybe this would be a good option for you?