Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By gadgetman

Thread: Biosecurity

Biosecurity

So about a month or so back I ordered some second hand front upper and lower control arms for my hilux via an Australian outfit through trademe. They turned up a few weeks back, wrapped in bubble wrap and black plastic. I only just cut the packaging off them this morning to take a look at them and was shocked to find that although in good condition, they were caked in Aussie red dirt and grass and giving them a clean all manner of seeds and dead insects etc fell out of them. I find it most concerning that at airports etc we have such strict bio security measures in place yet Davo from Aussie can wrap up a pile of dirt and insects and post it into the country easy as?

There airports unfortunately wheedle the all out.

P38, veitnamcam, stingray and 2 others like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Can relate to something the same. 12-13 yr ago on the farm I worked on, the boss got a container of cultivation and spud handling equipment, all new. The container arrived, and the joker in charge of the import paperwork opened the container. All be had with him was half a can of fly spray. Once we started fishing around in there we found heaps of crawlies etc. He was happy with the spray, but we weren't. The doors were shut.
    We mixed up some Actellic spray that we used in the silos, and sprayed that right through, and then let 2 silo smoke bombs off, then shut the doors for another 24 hrs. Nothing that we saw survived but they shouldn't have been there.
    Another instance was a weed seed that came into the country in sweet corn seed. None of us knew what it was until we'd spread it from Culverden to Lincoln, through Mid Canterbury and some off the South. Didn't notice until the following season when we saw the same plant had reseeded in the previous years paddocks. Luckily all the farms we harvested then have just about all converted to dairy, so it should be gone now

Basically, passengers and their luggage are a lot easier to screen. Freight gets spot checked, but that's about all that can be managed.