Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: Bipolar disorder/depression

Bipolar disorder/depression

Been recently diagnosed with Bipolar disorder. Never thought I would have been capable of such a thing but then again, many things in the past few years have surprised me.
    For those that have it, how do you deal with it? I'm at a very trying point in my life and having to face up to this is proving difficult.

Thanks.

Angus
    Hunt4life likes this.
    "A party without cake is just a meeting" - Juila Child

Sorry have no idea.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Look after yourself Angus, I can't help you but have had a young guy I know suffering badly from panic attacks and worrying about everything. It not nice, good medical advice is all I can say. I'm sure you'll get plenty of help here
    stingray likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Hey Angus.
    Hope my signature doesn't offend. Its supposed to be funny.
    My best mate is bipolar and we have been through thick and thin for over 35 years. He looks at it like a great roller coaster ride. Lots off ups and downs but as long as you stay on track its fun.
    Best enjoyed with friends too.
    gadgetman, Munsey, Angus_A and 1 others like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Hey Angus.
    Hope my signature doesn't offend. Its supposed to be funny.
    My best mate is bipolar and we have been through thick and thin for over 35 years. He looks at it like a great roller coaster ride. Lots off ups and downs but as long as you stay on track its fun.
    Best enjoyed with friends too.
    Yep, surround yourself with mates that understand. They will see you through the bad times, you will keep them going on your good times.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Shame i don't have many, if any of those left. Christ, even the missus has been distant lately.
    "A party without cake is just a meeting" - Juila Child

From what little I know of people who have it that respond to Lithium the answer is take the Lithium - it makes what used to be highs and lows into one grey bleaugh but it's a start to stabilise it and then tweak the dosage later

If it can be managed with a medication that works the classic cycle to watch out for is take the pill, feel ok, say I don't need the pill, go down, back to square one.

Also shop around for a good doctor if ya can, find one who talks sense

The book "An Unquiet Mind" by Kate Redfield Jamieson is bloody good too

You'll never get to a point where you're "cured", you'll only ever get it to a stage where it is managed.

And you'll really miss the highs. Really.
    Angus_A, Maca49 and Scouser like this.

We all walk a ridge in life, too some it is so wide one could drive a 4x4 down it and too others it is as narrow as a knife edge and is easy to slip a foot either side, the ability to get that foot back on track and not end up sliding down the slippery slope rests entirely on you...of course the guy in the 4x4, when he goes over the edge it can be a massive struggle to get back up. Medication and the right counselling can go a long way in reconciling the mind but the main input must come from you, that same counselling goes a long way in relationship deals as well. If your partner is not kept informed of what is going on in your mind then only bad shit will happen, not everyone is as understanding when it comes to matters of the mind.
    Use the great outdoors to help your mind whether it be our outstanding mountainsides or lowland forests, an hour or two spent watching a surf pounding on the rocks is good for the inner soul...get out, get about.
    Bill999, Pengy, Angus_A and 5 others like this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Angus read back over the recipe threads that you have posted on this forum and read the accolades that we as a community have given acknowledging your good contribution. Make us a place you can come to that is full of friends (albeit many like myself who are unknown) and where it is enjoyable to you. We have been hanging out for more of your recipes and you never know, it just might help to share the load with us when you feel the need.
    gadgetman, Smiddy, Pengy and 7 others like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

All the best Angus. It's a rough road out there. Put the extra effort in to keep the mrs close
    madmaori likes this.

Angus, as youve just been diagnosed, read up about the disorder, get as much information as you can, there are thousands of people in the same boat, dont be shy to talk on here, you have already made the first step!!!!!
    stumpy likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

You have a lot of friends here. If you need someone at times to talk, then I'm sure most on this forum will be here for you. I'm just a PM away. I like what Spook said about the 4x4. He's all good if he's in 4 wheel drive, if not he's not prepared and shit will happen, you have been forewarned so at least you can prepare yourself and make sure your diffs are locked.
    Angus_A and Danny like this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Angus -can you PM me-I may be able to able to answer some of your queries as this is part of my "trade"
    DAF, gadgetman, Angus_A and 2 others like this.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Angus read back over the recipe threads that you have posted on this forum and read the accolades that we as a community have given acknowledging your good contribution. Make us a place you can come to that is full of friends (albeit many like myself who are unknown) and where it is enjoyable to you. We have been hanging out for more of your recipes and you never know, it just might help to share the load with us when you feel the need.
    The above is one of the most sensible sensitive posts I have read for awhile..... I hope you don't find my post is offensive 'Angus'

I have learned a few things from some of our Vietnam Veterans. One is that depression has a companion called misery and two friends that suffer from depression can take each other down to real low places. Even on fine days its raining all the time and after very long time they can both reach new low spots. Dope does not fix the problem.

I have a very good friend that used to come and stay on the Yacht with my Wife and I and he was pretty fucked up. We would talk for 16 to 20 hours at a time about Vietnam, all the time he would want me to admit Vietnam had ruined my life. I would hold on to the theme that it was the greatest time of my life and I would do it all again tomorrow if I had another chance. I would tell him I even had a couple of good wars left in me still.

Tempers would get very frayed, my friend would pack his gear and his parting words were always 'I feel better now that I realise you are madder than me' I suspect nothing would have pleased my friend more than if I had have agreed that Vietnam had destroyed my life. He wanted people to come down to his level or be worse off than himself.

This friend always came back though, a great singer and guitar player he was. We would anchor out in a bay in the Sounds and of an evening he would pick up his guitar and start to play softly and sing, soon row boats would set of from the shore and from other yacht's and they would join us. What parties we used to have.

One night deep in my cups I said, "What a contribution you have made to all our lives here 'friend'". "Your music carried so many of us through some very rough patches in Vietnam and when we came home. "Your effect on the moral of the whole company can never be measured". This must have been some revelation to him, as, I saw my friend stand straighter "Do you reckon, I have never thought of it like that before" he said.

"In the future Instead of coming down here trying to bring me down why don't you travel around all our guys and make music and lift them all up" I told him. So this is what he did, he had more money than he needed so he was well placed for such a mission.

This difference in the way my friend saw himself worked like a miracle. The way he saw himself changed him completely He became the bringer of sunshine, music and good times.
    I wouldn't claim it is a complete cure but it has worked for him for 10 years now. He still comes and fishes here with me and the shock of losing his wife to cancer did not knock him down as I feared it would. He survived I think because he knows that so many people need 'him' now.

I see him looking at me at times and I know he wishes I was madder than him. Perhaps I am, after all we all march to the sound of our own drum and it just might be that I am not the only one in step.

I see you 'Angus' as a man that can produce good food that can lift up a man or woman's soul. That's a great gift.

And I suspect you also make music, if either of the above it true think seriously of your own contribution to this great world of ours and how many people you carry on your own broad shoulders through the rough patches in life.

You will never be lacking in friends, you, at the moment are possibly seeing the rain every day and not the shine emanating from all the friends you have made on here.
    Last edited by Scribe; 12-08-2014 at 12:56 PM.
    DAF, gadgetman, Smiddy and 8 others like this.

Already some good responses here.
    Getting into habits that are positive are a good beginning. Daily habits; Exercise, phoning or speaking to usual positive people regularly.
    Having the right doctor is a massive help and asking for help is the oldest and best medicine of them all.
    Keep in touch bro!
    Angus_A likes this.
    Dan M