Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Sarvo

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Black powder log splitting gun

Yeah, nah. We didn't have a reputation to protect, so ours were much bigger, and there was a lot more 'fun' involved than that video showed. But they;ll get the idea for sure.

When we switched to jelly you have to keep looking up into the sky for a good 10 seconds before you began walking back to survey the damage
    veitnamcam likes this.

That looks like a heap of fun
    Just need to do a shaped charge to cut the rings, and I can retire the chainsaw

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Yeah, nah. We didn't have a reputation to protect, so ours were much bigger, and there was a lot more 'fun' involved than that video showed. But they;ll get the idea for sure.

When we switched to jelly you have to keep looking up into the sky for a good 10 seconds before you began walking back to survey the damage
    Yes, the gun that I was familiar with from my childhood was bigger than that one as well.....and even with that I relate to your last comment.....we had to watch the sky.
    The last time I saw that old gun was when my father didn't drive it far enough into a particularly knotty piece of log that was on a slope facing uphill. The gun was last seen loping its way high over the ridge into some bush beyond never to be found although we spent a whole afternoon looking for it. Probably was a good thing really, my father was not that experienced in such matters and even back then I always used to think that it was only going to be a matter of time before something went very pear shaped.

Cheers
    Phil

Went to farm in Northland (Hupara) straight from school, the owner (NZ Dutchman) was a newbie on that farm as well...he was explaining what a slitting gun looked like and I told him there was one in the barn...talk about a kid with a new toy, bought powder (shiny black, like small pebbles) and fuse from dairy company in Moerewa...that Dutchman was not tight when it came to using powder...used it for splitting posts from Totara and Puriri...got clobbered a few times with bits of tree wrapping around the tree we were sheltering behind...never lost the gun as a sack was thrown over it when lit...as said he was not mean on powder but liked very short fuses, typical Dutchman not wasting time waiting..."Time is money, Boy, time is money"
    gadgetman, Marty Henry and dannyb like this.

Dad had one we used in the Hutt River when I was young. Used to buy the powder from brisco's in lower Hutt.
    Makes your firewood dirty. Son's got it now but not much use now everyone has chainsaws. Probably not allowed to take logs from the river bank anymore either.

I could do with one of these if anyone has one for sale.
    Please pm if you have one available

Where do we buy more BP for one of theses once we use up our present supply?

Make it?

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Where do we buy more BP for one of theses once we use up our present supply?
    Make it

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post

And if you went back too soon instant shit headache. Mind you I used to get a headache just handling the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    Make it
    Or use Pyrodex.
    "I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Or use Pyrodex.
    No!

Pyrodex can detonate with charges over 80grn.

When Black powder was heavily regulated over here a few people were injured firing large caliber muskets with Pyrodex.

It's a poor and very corrosive alternative to Black powder.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

You can get the same result with a bore cut or two perpendicular to the log filled with black powder, fuse and packed with a neatly cut wedge. Few youtube vids online. Bloody good fun.

If experimenting use a maul ( usually wood) not a steel sledgehammer.
    Steel on steel is not good & that's not worrying about the sparks.
    The good old days when school kids could buy sticks of Gelly , Bags of Black powder & all the necessary from Wrightsons .
    Just sign the Explosives Register.
    CATLINS HUNTER and XR500 like this.