Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam

Thread: Boc smootharc 171

Boc smootharc 171

Hi all, I'm after a small arc welder for general around the house stuff, has anyone had any experience with the boc smootharc mma 171?
    Looks like a nice small handy package and not to spendy.
    I know boc is a good brand and was thinking that would be a better option than a no name inverter arc welder.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

If you only want to arc weld then this will do, but for a beginner tig welder, then look for a high frequency start. I’m now looking for an AC/DC welder so I can do aluminium. The more you spend... I personally would recommend the cheapest smallest Boc supply and just use it for arc welding.
    Remember the 7 Ps; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

I already have acess to a tig and mig and and ac arc welder, just looking for something to use outside and nicer than the ac arc welder which weighs a ton.
    Are those cheap welders on the boc site any good?

I have a magmate mig welder and it’s great. I comes down to what you will use it for. The one I put a link for has a duty cycle of 20@120 amps so can’t be used flat out all day but is small and lite.

Fulla
    What about razor/viper brand. They seem ok. I don't have one but thought I might try one next.

I have an old boc 140 has been a great welder have run it on a 100m of exstension cables another brand to look at is strata old boss bought a 210amp one was nice to use the leads where a bit soft and cracked after a while . had a digital display so was easy to setup .

We have a few of those 171 at work and the older but same same one in the steel case...only one of them has failed and I think that had more to do with the 4 story drop than anything else.....They are our go to site stick welder and cant be beat for the dollar, if the power supply will handle it they will happily run a 4mm C6H down hand for hours tho most work we do with them is max 4mm ph77 with most being 3.2 and 2.5mm 77s or 118s or RSPs.
    Cant speak of there useability on tig as we have other dedicated units for tig.
    Dan88 likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    We have a few of those 171 at work and the older but same same one in the steel case...only one of them has failed and I think that had more to do with the 4 story drop than anything else.....They are our go to site stick welder and cant be beat for the dollar, if the power supply will handle it they will happily run a 4mm C6H down hand for hours tho most work we do with them is max 4mm ph77 with most being 3.2 and 2.5mm 77s or 118s or RSPs.
    Cant speak of there useability on tig as we have other dedicated units for tig.
    That's exactly what I was after, bugger just missed a brand new one on trademe for $230

A good option is to talk to your local welder repair guy. Stay away from anything that he is regularly fixing.
    Like all brands these days, BOC are just rebadging Chinese made products.

I use Lincoln, and there are models of theirs to stay away from, and models worth buying, all depending on where they are manufactured and therefore their quality control, and that applies to more than just the bottom end of the market.