Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Books your reading

Books your reading

so i started thinking how many books am i reading a year . . . not as much as i used to, in fact i would say because of the internet i am hardly reading anything compared to what i used to.

this train of thought started after talking to a very interesting guy who has made a habit over the last 5 years of writing a small review in a note book of all books he reads, something like 50-55 books a year.

i have no intention of doing a review ( to lazy for that ) but a score out of 10 should do for starters.

here is the start of my list . . .

no.1
    The Vietnam War by Geoffrey C Ward / Ken Burns
    796 pages and a 10/10 and a must read

No.2
    My Life - Fidel Castro by Ignaco Ramonet
    626 pages - 2/10 dissapointing

no.3
    Reporter, Seymour Hersh - a memoir
    336 pages - 10/10 with lots of back ground to the Vietnam war politics in america

what bboks are you reading ?
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

Nearly finnished "D day" by Anthoney Bevor.Good read but a pretty American centric account of the landings and subsequent campaign in Normandy.
    rossi.45 likes this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Two I intend to re read this year:

"Shooting from the lip" by Lee Hughes. About his time in the army as a gunnery officer.

From the back cover of the book:

"Regularly led astray by friends, fools, and his own sense of mischief, he reveals some of the funniest stories ever told about life in the army.

Horrendous games in the mess, outrageous practical jokes, strange field exercises, diabolical army equipment are brought to rowdy , boisterous life through the eyes of a man who was there when it all went wrong"

The other one was written by a dear friend of mine.

"More than the odd round mate " By Chris Phillips. A book about being a pest controller, and commercial shooter.

From the back cover:

"I wore out more than my share of 10/22's, Mini14 Rugers,and Remington 30/06 autoloaders".
    Last edited by Max Headroom; 31-01-2019 at 09:16 AM.

I enjoy reading but I rarely do so because when I do, I get nothing else done. That said I've just had a binge after a two year abstinence... and BOY did I enjoy it!

Stand-out reads from days gone by:

Two Dogs and a Rifle - a famous NZ book about hunting. Funny.
    Chickenhawk - A revealing story about flying helicopters in Vietnam.
    The Forgotten Soldier - An eye-watering memoir of life on the Eastern Front in WWII. Written by a German Private. Unfuckingbelievable.
    Hirschfeld - An insightful diary of a U-Boat Radio Operator during WWII.
    The Ravens - Flying the O-1 as a FAC in Laos. Brave boys.
    The Spice Wars and Nathaniel's Nutmeg - Two great books that describe the hardships of bringing the spices from Indonesia to Europe. Unbelievable stuff.

Just finished reading these over the last 2 months: (all via Google eBooks)

Da Nang Diary - FAC flying the O2 in Vietnam.
    A Lonely Kind of War - FAC flying the O2 in Vietnam.
    Black Cat 2-1 - Flying the UH-1C/D in Vietnam
    A Nightmare's Prayer - Flying Harriers in Afghanistan. I really enjoyed this.
    Viper Pilot - Flying the F-16 on Weasel missions in Iraq. Absolutely outstanding.
    Joint Force Harrier - Flying Harriers in Afghanistan.
    Pucker Factor 10 - Huey's in Vietnam
    Vipers in the Storm - Flying F-16's in support of Operation Desert Storm.
    Gunship Pilot - Flying the Cobra in Vietnam.
    Hornet 33 - Flying the Huey in Vietnam
    In the Sanctity of the Snake Pit - Flying Huey's in Vietnam
    Taking Fire - Flying Huey's in Vietnam
    Death in the A Shau Valley - A tour as a LRRP in Vietnam.

I enjoyed all of the above over the last couple of months (got bugger all done as you can imagine) and each had it's own highs and lows. I don't regret reading any of them and I think they all make worthy additions to the library. Upon reflection the two books about the F-16's and the Harrier ops were very technical but very enlightening. It was a bit of an eye-opener for me. The books about Huey's in Vietnam each had their merits too and there were some outstanding excerpts in each of them. The laughs, the horrors, the sadness and the terror.

I'll definitely look for your first suggestion @rossi.45

If anyone has some recommendations on books about flying the A-10 in support of ground troops please let me know.

R93
    I recently finished Beyond Band of Brothers.

Written by Dick Winters.

It should be compulsory reading in schools imo.

If today's kids could harness just 1% of this guys morals and drive, the world would be a better place in the future.

Wife and I are planning a trip to France to see some sights but I will be most interested in seeing everything related to the 2 Wars especially the D Day sights.
    Apart from individuals no NZ units participated on D Day.
    Some individuals piloted and crewed aircraft that dropped thousands of soldiers behind enemy lines.
    Relating best with parachute infantry I can't imagine what it took to exit those doors on that night.

Seeing the Dick Winters memorial at Sainte-Marie-Du-mont and hopefully the Brecourt Manor battle sight will be one of the highlights of the trip for me.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by R93; 31-01-2019 at 02:54 PM.
    EeeBees, nzfubz, Mathias and 1 others like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    Two I intend to re read this year:

"Shooting from the lip" by Lee Hughes. About his time in the army as a gunnery officer.

From the back cover of the book:

"Regularly led astray by friends, fools, and his own sense of mischief, he reveals some of the funniest stories ever told about life in the army.

Horrendous games in the mess, outrageous practical jokes, strange field exercises, diabolical army equipment are brought to rowdy , boisterous life through the eyes of a man who was there when it all went wrong"

The other one was written by a dear friend of mine.

"More than the odd round mate " By Chris Phillips. A book about being a pest controller, and commercial shooter.

From the back cover:

"I wore out more than my share of 10/22's, Mini14 Rugers,and Remington 30/06 autoloaders".
    Chris’s hard case
    Works for DOC these days
    Max Headroom likes this.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Chicken hawk (vietnam air cav)
    Devils guard (WW2 ss soldiers tale of fighting the Viet Minh for the French)
    the 13th valley (Vietnam A shau valley I think, fiction but must be based on some true stuff)
    forgotten soldier (eastern front German perspective)
    Iron coffins (WW2 U boats)
    To the limit (Vietnam air cav etc)
    Candle moth (cant remember, but was good)

CHICKENHAWK, IRONCOFFINS, FORGOTTEN SOLDIER, DEVILS GUARD HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
    Use enough gun

The Quiet forest. Fiona M.F McQueen.
    Reading it with an open mind
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

if you want a good read @planenutz on US society during the Vietnam War i would recommend
    Pillars of Fire
    America in the King Years 1963-65
    by Taylor Branch - 613 pages

i have been plugging away at it for a month or so & almost finished, its been hard work but well worth it . . . i find myself looking more at the politicians and politics, the societies in a a war instead of just the actual fighting these days, its interesting, the madness of war, what makes people go out and kill each other, who are the people that set it all in motion and why

Thanks for that recommendation @rossi.45

Indeed... the madness of war. It's been an intrinsic thread within human history from the day we left the caves.
    rossi.45 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogfeatures View Post
    Chris’s hard case
    He sure is. I was at his place for tea, he was making a venison casserole, and chucked whatever he could find close by into the pot.

I was baffled when he added a can of fruit salad, but he'd judged it pretty well, it added to the flavour.

I have always been an avid reader from an early age. I read at least 2 novels a week in the summer and about 3 per week in the winter, plus I am heavily into my technical books as well. I read at lunchtime and also an hour or so during the evening while my wife is watching TV and I can cut out the average novel in 5 hours. I have had a Kindle for the last few years which is much cheaper than buying books (which you then give away to Rotary for their annual sale). Reading expands the mind!
    NRT, Micky Duck, rossi.45 and 1 others like this.

Just finished " At War With Nature - Corporate Conservation and the Industry of Extinction " by W F Benfield. Its an insight into how big busines has corrupted the conservation movement , and how ecological history in New Zealand has been corrupted by the thought processes of a very few individuals who , in the eyes of our Government departments , and not only infallible but totally protected.

Have a read - its available on Amazon as a book or on Kindle . You just might be alarmed at what you learn about the sacred cows of NZs conservation movement
    Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

A couple I have read the last couple of years that I think would appeal to most on this forum are;

The Man Who Broke into Auschwitz - Denis Avey, A true story (he must have been mad!)

SEAL Team Six - Howard E. Wasdin & Stephen Templin, Another true story and nut case (My opinion ; ))

no.5

A Very Normal Man
    by Vincenzo Cerami - 177 pages

picked this up because of the blurb & we had an Italian guy staying with us, might as well read a famous book from his country, might be interesting . . Do Not Read
    its nothing like the blurb . . . unless it all got lost in the translation.
    Name:  20190201_185725-1-1.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  1.09 MB
    so this guy has problem after problem after problem, its unexpected stuff but readable in a watching a car crash way . . . and then the book finnishes with one of those weird endings that says to me the author gave up on it and just wanted it over . . probably be a long time before i pickup another foreign book