Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By mikee
  • 3 Post By stingray
  • 1 Post By scoped

Thread: Brook to get 24 tonnes of poison dropped

Brook to get 24 tonnes of poison dropped

Nelson's Brook Waimarama Sanctuary Trust has gained resource consent to aerially drop poison in a bid to wipe out mice, rats and other pests following the fence completion later this year.

In April, independent commissioner Dr Robert Lieffering heard adjoining landowners concerns about the Brook Waimarama Sanctuary Trust's resource consent application to drop 24 tonnes of brodifacoum-laced baits inside the pest-proof fence around the 691-hectare nature reserve at the head of the Brook Valley near Nelson city.

Consent was granted for the poison operation on Wednesday subject to 47 conditions and it is scheduled to occur in July.

Brook Waimarama Sanctuary Trust general manager Hudson Dodd said he was pleased with the decision.

F ken idoits
    Last edited by deer243; 12-05-2016 at 10:44 PM.

oh well , I suppose if all the birds die as well then that will be definitive proof 1080 does indeed kill birds or maybe they all flew off somewhere else for a wee holiday
    stingray and sometimes like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    oh well , I suppose if all the birds die as well then that will be definitive proof 1080 does indeed kill birds or maybe they all flew off somewhere else for a wee holiday
    Its not 1080, prob worst, Brodifacoum..rat posion at its best. They have already declared its going to kill quite a few birds and other life in there, but it kill the pests and when the birds return and breed in a pest proof fence it be all good again

That Brodi is nasty stuff, there will be plenty of bykill
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Watch out for your dogs if you live downstream.

I was under the impression that Brodifacoum was only approved for aerial application on off shore Islands, not for use from the air for on the mainland.
    It's a shame they didn't look into going down this route for the Brooke Sanctuary.

My question would be, for the cost of the aerial application and associated consent costs, could an effective amount of traps such as the A24 have been purchased and be maintained.
    I assume the Sanctuary relies heavily on volunteer support which would be key for an on going trapping and monitoring programme.
    Sure, an aerial drop is going to offer good control in the short term, but it is naive to think that the fence will keep out all future invaders for ever. Some form of long term control is going to be necessary, that A24 trap certainly seems to deliver on that point.
    I guess one caveat would be trapping the cats and Mustelids is probably much harder, it didn't say in the video if either were present on Native Island.
    Either way, well done Goodnature Limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    I was under the impression that Brodifacoum was only approved for aerial application on off shore Islands, not for use from the air for on the mainland.
    It's a shame they didn't look into going down this route for the Brooke Sanctuary.

My question would be, for the cost of the aerial application and associated consent costs, could an effective amount of traps such as the A24 have been purchased and be maintained.
    I assume the Sanctuary relies heavily on volunteer support which would be key for an on going trapping and monitoring programme.
    Sure, an aerial drop is going to offer good control in the short term, but it is naive to think that the fence will keep out all future invaders for ever. Some form of long term control is going to be necessary, that A24 trap certainly seems to deliver on that point.
    I guess one caveat would be trapping the cats and Mustelids is probably much harder, it didn't say in the video if either were present on Native Island.
    Either way, well done Goodnature Limited.
    In regards to long term control. Zelandia and Mnt Bruce seem to do ok using volunteer labour, with only limited incursions.

Whats the size of the Brook sanctuary I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    In regards to long term control. Zelandia and Mnt Bruce seem to do ok using volunteer labour, with only limited incursions.

Whats the size of the Brook sanctuary I wonder?
    691-hectare nature reserve at the head of the Brook Valley near Nelson city.

From the first post.

What I would like to know are they doing a live capture programme to remove the weka and other bird life to enhance other areas and not just cull a shit load of protected animals for the sake of their garden of Eden ideals ..these populations will be decimated and may ever re establish after the dump. With a predator fence blocking any transit of new populations.
    Last edited by stingray; 13-05-2016 at 11:11 PM. Reason: After thought
    veitnamcam, gadgetman and deer243 like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    What I would like to know are they doing a live capture programme to remove the weka and other bird life to enhance other areas and not just cull a shit load of protected animals for the sake of their garden of Eden ideals ..these populations will be decimated and may ever re establish after the dump. With a predator fence blocking any transit of new populations.
    Ive heard talk that they were considering capturing weka and re establishing them back in there again. Question is, will the by kill be too great a cost . Will they actually get rid of every rat and pest with the drop...if not they going to breed back to plague proportions are they not. Is that pest proof fence thats cost a arm and a leg actually going to work?

not as lethal as a 243
    deer243 likes this.
    #BallisticFists

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    Ive heard talk that they were considering capturing weka and re establishing them back in there again. Question is, will the by kill be too great a cost . Will they actually get rid of every rat and pest with the drop...if not they going to breed back to plague proportions are they not. Is that pest proof fence thats cost a arm and a leg actually going to work?
    They will never get rid of the mice.And the place will be rooted for at least seven years with all that poison.They have obviously have been listening to poison loving fools.