Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Building in Chch

Building in Chch

So my wife and I are looking at our options as to buy or build.
    We have been looking at a couple different nationwide builders GJG, Lockwood, Signature, A1 etc and there are a couple standard designs that fit the bill. However, given the breadth of knowledge on here I thought I would ask and see if anyone has any comments on how to go about things, who to stay away with, who has had good reputations etc.

We like the look and feel of Lockwood but kinda want to go a bit higher in the insulation than is standard even if it means a few or the furnishings are a bit more basic.
    Wanting a good, solid, low maintenance 3-4 bedroom and dbl garage.

Any advice is appreciated

Cheers,
    Paddy

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    G j are pretty on to it . Always exceptions but seem to be good solid builds .

Sent from my SM-J330G using Tapatalk
    paddygonebush and timattalon like this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

We have just built with GJs. There were a few hurdles thrown at them and us but we got there. What really impressed me was the efficiency of the process and the communication between them and us, especially the initial contact person (sales) and the project manager.

I have heard good things about Mike Greer builders as well, but their designs did not suit us and the design we really fell for was a GJs. We tweaked ours for more space and they were happy to help.

We used Christchurch North branch. What side of town are you on?

have a look at the fraemohs kitsets if you interested in building yourself or know someone to build for you and you be their labourer to save some money on a new build. they will build for you as well .

we are less than a week off moving into our new home, trident homes (ask for scotty). a pleasure to deal with, all issues resolved (and there werent many) within minutes. great attention to detail and no issue with letting me prewire for data/tv/audio etc.
    pm me if you need more info.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    have a look at the fraemohs kitsets if you interested in building yourself or know someone to build for you and you be their labourer to save some money on a new build. they will build for you as well .
    Do you know what the cost of the solid timber kit sets look like?

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Can't help except to say make sure your garage is big enough. Our garage will just fit 2 modern utes side by side but you had better not want to walk around the garage after that as front bumper is 50mm from one wall and towball 50mm from garage door when shut. 1 SWB Pajero and Colarado parked on slight angle = ugly but no problem although you still cannot open the tail gate
    Modern Garages all seem like a bit of an after-thought and tiny, something you dont really think about till you go to put your truck in it

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    Do you know what the cost of the solid timber kit sets look like?

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
    133k for a three bedroomed one listed on trademe .
    Wildman likes this.

just a point but after many years running and fitting off cable the last thing you want is a steel frame house, every one i have seen has creases in the steel making it weak and some tines wood screws not metal screws holding it together.
    Steve123 likes this.

The advice regarding the garage is good to know @mikee
    Not all that keen on steel framing to be honest @gonetropo
    Had a few pm me so cheers for that.
    Anyone dealt with Irvingbuilders or Jock Truscott before. Been recommended both by people we know?

Jock trusscott......cheap and roughly finished, hes not a master builder. All his contractors know this so consequently there workmanship is of a similar standard......

You will be much better off going with one of the established building companys, GJGardner or Mike Greer, Peter Ray homes etc....

Buy existing and renovate - key is location location location my advise take you time and study the market get in the right school zone is imperative in CH - CH

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
    Buy existing and renovate - key is location location location my advise take you time and study the market get in the right school zone is imperative in CH - CH
    issue with that is that you never know what you are getting. building new means you can keep an eye on it and make sure theres no dodgy materials used. also far easier to cable for all the extras. we just built a 200 sq meter house and not including electrical cable i fitted nearly 500m of tv antenna, data, home theater, alarm etc. had extra bracing at the right height installed in walls for tv mountings too.
    having been running cable etc for most of my working life and working in domestic and commercial buildings there are some real cowboys out there.
    at christmas we watched a pre-fabricated wall being craned down for our neighbors house and they smashed an entire corner in. they just bolted it down anyway. same crowd also left all teh gib out in the rain for days without even a tarp on it yet there was a garage to use. the worst do date is damn steel frame buildings held together with "super screws" and all the beams had creases in them.
    also seen supporting wood beams with so many knots in them i wouldnt walk across them let alone trust them to hold up a roof.

My background is 40 years as a Tradesman Carpenter / Quantity Surveyor so been there done that ;-) Building new it is easy to over capitalise as location is key especially if you are looking to move it quickly. Note: you are paying big margins / overheads for group building companies quality is no better than using a normal builder as labour only crews & subcontractors screwed on price.
    Savage1, Maca49 and Steve123 like this.