Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Building a lean-to shed - I'M STUMPED

Building a lean-to shed - I'M STUMPED

So I'm about 30% through the building of a lean-to shed and I'm currently at a mind blank.
    Other than everything else thus far being more difficult/heavier/taking longer than I would every have dreamed of, I've finally hit a mind blank.

Have got poles all concreted in the ground and up to putting up the rafters, but I can't for the life of me think of a simple, accurate, quick way to mark out and notch/rebated the top of the posts for sitting the rafters on.
    everything thus far has somewhat worked, but involved a million string lines and a combination of levels and squares, but as the poles are round (if you can call lumpy as hell round) it's not particularly easy. I've decided the chainsaw is the easiest way to cut them, and that actual cutting part is easier than the marking out.

Any ingenious tips would be a great help.
    Other than just pay someone else to do it, as I've already thought of that.

Cheers

Do you have access to a laser dumpy ? Mark one line at any height all round measure and cut from that
    Built a 24 mtr shed its three mm out which I can live with
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

light at night time with straight bottom edge like some leds do, stand back and shine light where you want it and get someone else to mark it. the lazer boresighter thats sitting in back of cupboard since you bought it also comes to mind...

SiB
    For a quick level use a long hose filled With water. Thatíll show your levels. The water at each end of a long hose held up will go to same level
    Nibblet, Gibo, Shearer and 2 others like this.

Use a straight edge with a level taped to it . Start with your first height . Use a nail driven in so it's out enough to sit the edge on . Level it and mark other end . Now end for end your straight edge so that it will correct any difference ( your level may not be true ) . Continue along your posts end for ending every time .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    mikee likes this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I've managed to get the front and back straight lines level, but it's the angled rafter I'm struggling with.
    Hopefully my attached drawing explains better.

I can run two string lines up either side on the pole to get the angles at the bottom of the rebate easily enough, but trying to mark/cut the rebates so they are parallel and the right width apart is causing be grief.

Notches are the dotted lines
    Name:  String lines 2.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  97.8 KB

Name:  String lines.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  89.0 KB

SiB
    Establish your datum and set that height on all posts. Then simply subtract the same distance at each lower pole from your datum.

SiB
    Focus on your four outside corners first. The inner ones will be easy after that

And donít be afraid to use your eye- the Egyptians used three sticks to get straight lines 1000s of years ago.

set your skill saw to the depth you want to cut into the pole to do your bottom cut. then i use a chainsaw to do the rest. mark back the depth off the cut you want from the line and plumb it up the pole
    Beetroot likes this.

use a new chain if you have one, and do a few/lots of practice cuts until you are good enough with the saw.
    For the plumb cuts through the pole you need to be in the perfect position so you have good control over the saw and can eye ball the bar plumb and parallel etc. only experience will make it easy. if you fuck it up no big deal, just get the hand saw and chisel out.... (sharp chisel)

to mark out the parallel cuts on the poles, first trim the poles to the same height. then run the strings on top of the poles and mark them by lightly taping the string with your hammer (or use a chalk line) then mark the side of the pole for the 'seat' cut (where the stringer/beam will sit) and free hand cut with your saw down to that.
    Sometimes it helps to have someone stand back and spot you for keeping the bar square/level and to tell you when you have cut far enough.

its easy but its hard! have fun learning!
    practice cuts........
    Beaker, Beetroot and Steve123 like this.
    Use enough gun

If you have got some 100mm Tek screws and a driver drill you could tack up a straight bit of 100x50 to your desired height and use that as a saw guide for the bottom cut - easier to rest on than strings

I recommend painting the cut with Metalex and greasing the bolts to protect from rust
    40mm likes this.

I would have cut it out on the deck and started with level foundations, mine you I used to kit set them and sell them for a living, all from machined timber, not poles. Now that was of no use to you at all
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    I would have cut it out on the deck and started with level foundations, mine you I used to kit set them and sell them for a living, all from machined timber, not poles. Now that was of no use to you at all
    If I were to do it again machined square poles would be my preference! Oh how I wish I had something straight/square to make a measurement off!!
    The "kit sets" you buy from mist building companies are not what I'd call a kit set, basically just supply the parts you need and the Engineering drawing and wish you good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    use a new chain if you have one, and do a few/lots of practice cuts until you are good enough with the saw.
    For the plumb cuts through the pole you need to be in the perfect position so you have good control over the saw and can eye ball the bar plumb and parallel etc. only experience will make it easy. if you fuck it up no big deal, just get the hand saw and chisel out.... (sharp chisel)

to mark out the parallel cuts on the poles, first trim the poles to the same height. then run the strings on top of the poles and mark them by lightly taping the string with your hammer (or use a chalk line) then mark the side of the pole for the 'seat' cut (where the stringer/beam will sit) and free hand cut with your saw down to that.
    Sometimes it helps to have someone stand back and spot you for keeping the bar square/level and to tell you when you have cut far enough.

its easy but its hard! have fun learning!
    practice cuts........
    Cheers, this is similar to what I was doing but you've given some good tips.
    I think the spotter will be a good idea, and doing what cuts I can with something a tad more precise than a chainsaw.

Certainly agree that it's easy but hard.
    Would be a piece of piss at ground level, but 3.5m up in the air makes it a tad more challenging.
    40mm likes this.