Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Buying an ex meth lab, and the joys of house hunting

Buying an ex meth lab, and the joys of house hunting

My wife and I are currently trying to buy our first home and recently put in an offer on a house which turned out to be an ex meth lab.
    Thankfully we took the advice of our lawyer and got a meth test done, as the house came back with extremely high readings and the garage had reading 16,000 times higher than the ministry of health's guidelines.

Not sure how many folk here are currently in the property market, or who keep up to date with the news, but methamphetamine contaminated properties are becoming exceedingly common with an estimated 40% of houses in New Zealand being contaminated.

Interested to hear what experiences people have come across when looking to buy a place and if anyone has bought a place that has been decontaminated and whether or not they think buying an ex meth house was a good idea.
    We haven't written this house of completely yet and are waiting for the cleaning results to come back, we don't want to buy a meth house but with the Waikato property market the way it is, and a possibility of ex meth houses becoming the norm, we can't decided whether we should run a mile or if we should just accept it.

Also think folk should share their experiences as there is so little information out there and some of the stories are pretty scary.
    Heard someone who was very knowledgeable on the subject say that this may be the thing that brings down the property market.

I find it pretty hard to believe that 40% of houses in nz are contaminated.
    veitnamcam, Pointer, 199p and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I find it pretty hard to believe that 40% of houses in nz are contaminated.
    For those living on the wrong Island maybe
    JoshC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    For those living on the right Island maybe
    Fixed it for you

Nah I call bullshit
    It's only when cooked not smoked.

I don't have current experience but when I brought it got my house tested for $600 it's cheap to me was same as having a builders report done.

Personally I wouldn't buy a house that's had that shit cooked it in.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Is it an attached garage or separate? If separate low ball the seller, and if successful knock the thing down. Easy?
    Pointer, Munsey, Maca49 and 1 others like this.
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

Same asm199p i'm no expert but my impression was its only where its cooked that really bad. Though I do like kiwijames's idea of bowling the garage

Even when the fry heads only smoke the shit not even cooking it.It shows up and you would truly be surprised how many and what sort of people are into that shit
    Savage1, tetawa, northdude and 1 others like this.

meth testers are going to get very rich quickly and results may or may not be accurate is my opinion. Much like asbestos testers. The number of properties I have had tested for asbestos by two different contractors and had differing results is crazy.

Alarm bells start ringing when the testers are the same people that do the removal.
    veitnamcam, Pointer, 199p and 4 others like this.

We had a company come and test all our farm houses, we have 17 of them and all were clear but I got chatting to one of the blokes and he basically told me that only a house that has had methamphetamine cooked in it is going to pose any real health threat, if someone had just been smoking in the house you would quote "have to be licking the walls on a pretty regular basis" to have any kind of adverse health effects, and even then "you would probably get sick from the bacteria on the walls before any chemicals"
    veitnamcam, kiwijames, ebf and 1 others like this.

Heard of climbing walls but licking?... Those lickable stickers as wall paper

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Heard of climbing walls but licking?... Those lickable stickers as wall paper
    I heard of a not so pleasant term of "window lickers" referring to people who are a long way from being smart.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    We had a company come and test all our farm houses, we have 17 of them and all were clear but I got chatting to one of the blokes and he basically told me that only a house that has had methamphetamine cooked in it is going to pose any real health threat, if someone had just been smoking in the house you would quote "have to be licking the walls on a pretty regular basis" to have any kind of adverse health effects, and even then "you would probably get sick from the bacteria on the walls before any chemicals"
    There's an idea. Get the twits to like the walls rather than break into other peoples houses to buy more. It would save the country a fortune.....
    Steve123 likes this.

Properties are graded by a number, by which they have to disclose by law when selling a property. Grade one is a full blown operational lab, grade 4 is chemicals used in manufacture found on the site only. There is no number for a property having had meth smoked in it.

As a landlord I can tell you there is nothing you can do to prohibit them making P in a house, but don't fall for the scare mongering that the testing companies give you about not getting insurance. If you are mad enough to buy a positive tested house then you get what you deserve, but it not, get it tested. Keep the negative test, so you can show insurance that it was negative before the tenants moved in. Then you are covered.

As an interesting side note, in 18 months of looking at dozens of rural BOP houses for our own residence, literally half had a classification number. Certain places attract cooks.

@Beetroot, meth houses if they are found to be one, are supposed to be declared so by real estate agents, and it will be recorded on the lim report for ever, meaning there will always be a stigma attached to the house.
    I have heard of people stripping out the wall linings, ceilings and floor coverings to get a clean bill of health. But when prospective buyers read the lim they will all ways be woundering.
    Do what you gotta do to get a home.
    I got my start buying old 2 bdrm state homes in South Island, I got enough income from these to fund me into 3brm homes. I rented these out and had no end of problems with scum bag tenants as they where not great homes and where cheap because of the shitty areas. Had good cash flow when they paid rents. My issue was always indoor pot growers cranking up rooms, making holes in floor ceilings, changing the wiring etc. I Bai,ed out when the crack started to happen, sold everything in SI and bought in Auckland.

People over look 2brm homes to start out, they are a good vehicle to get a foot on the property rung. Normally easier to buy as well as there is less competition.
    Pointer likes this.