Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Can I put a wet back in my fire place

Can I put a wet back in my fire place

Is there anything stopping me fitting a wet back element into my fire place?
    She's an old gillies but still going strong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

How far to your cylinder ?

Sent from my SM-J330G using Tapatalk
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    How far to your cylinder ?

At the moment 6 meters but will be putting a new one in almost directly behind the fireplace

Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

yes but you need a permit and if cylinder input is lower than wet back you either need to raise cylinder or fit a hot water pump to the lower pipe that feeds the water to the wetback (about $125 for pump without wireing).well worth it if you burn your fire for 4 months or more in winter. we switch our cylinder off from power during winter and have to watch we don't boil it, its only 180 litres. only other thing is if you have already cut your wood is it a rear fit or top coil as you loose either length or height in the fire box its a pain when your wood suddenly is too long to fit in the fire cause the element may be at the back of the firebox.

if getting a new one for a wet back I would recommend 280 litre sized one if you have the room to fit and if you are thinking about solar heating as well even just get a second set of inlet pipes install when getting it made. you can always fit a solar panel later if funds allow but getting the sockets installed when its built is a lot cheaper than changing cylinder later if you want to go that way.

Ok thanks looks like I can do it, now to find a coil that will fit my fire

Quote Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
    Ok thanks looks like I can do it, now to find a coil that will fit my fire

Superiour heating Ch Ch . Used to make coils for most makes of fires . If you are fitting a new cylinder make sure bottom at least 300 mm above your wet back coil . This sometimes means you remove gib at the top of cylinder cuboard to allow plumber to conect .

stingray likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Superiour heating Ch Ch . Used to make coils for most makes of fires . If you are fitting a new cylinder make sure bottom at least 300 mm above your wet back coil . This sometimes means you remove gib at the top of cylinder cuboard to allow plumber to conect .

https://superiorheating.co.nz/wetbacks.php

veitnamcam and stingray like this.

I would be setting up the cylinder for the future so when that fire burns out you dont have to change height of the cylinder. You can fit the cylinder in the roof space if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    I would be setting up the cylinder for the future so when that fire burns out you dont have to change height of the cylinder. You can fit the cylinder in the roof space if that helps.
    A lot depends on wear you live and your property size as the fire will need to be a new clean air approved if you are under 2 hectares.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Some councils are also anal about the temperature coming out of the cylinder and may insist on a tempering valve to drop it to around 55-60 degrees.
    Of course west coasters may be resourceful and do it under the radar

SiB
    Itís worth fitting a tempering valve anyway in my book. Itís an added safety to prevent scalding when your water is, or close to boiling.
    berg243 likes this.

talk to your Plumber, only he will have the answers. Done quite a few and must seem to justify the expense
    stingray likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

definitely fit tempering valve water temp can be around boiling point without you realising.we only get 2 or 3 gurgles from our cylinder about 2 minutes before it boils over.i work with hot water at about 80 degrees and steam and have the burns to know that for household stuff you definitely need tempering valve . we always fitted them when I worked for a heating outfit installing fires and boilers in homes.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    definitely fit tempering valve water temp can be around boiling point without you realising.we only get 2 or 3 gurgles from our cylinder about 2 minutes before it boils over.i work with hot water at about 80 degrees and steam and have the burns to know that for household stuff you definitely need tempering valve . we always fitted them when I worked for a heating outfit installing fires and boilers in homes.
    i got myself serious burns from hot water, its not to be taken lightly. if i still had the photo's i would scare the hell out of you. blisters so big i "sloshed" when i walked, the burns were so deep on my left leg it contracted the Achilles tendon.
    be bloody careful with it !
    Tommy, berg243 and Cordite like this.