Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Can you tame a possum ??

Can you tame a possum ??

Most nights around 9pm we have a possum that shows up in the back yard, he/she sits on a large tree limb. the dog go's ballistic but the possums not fazed at all.

Last night I placed half an apple coated with peanut butter in the tree, this morning no apple so my pick is he/she loved it.

Do you think if I did it every night he/she would show up for a free feed.

If it does the plan is to slowly get it accustomed to the fruit and then get it pissed on some fruit marinated in shitty whiskey I have. Hoping I won't get reported for animal cruelty etc.

I hope you do get reported for animal cruelty.

Bullet in the head tames em down real quick, you can handle them whilst they're still warm!!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I have seen them fostered from young and be tame as adults. What is your end game? Maca has the right treatment.
    308 likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

So long as it's not Waikato

yep, like any animal show them regular food and they will soon realize your not a threat but a dinner bell.
    bomber likes this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

we had one as a pet when we were kids it was very small and we fed it with an eyedropper and milk. Used to climb up our legs and sit on our heads. Hurt like hell. We spent most of our time running away from it

Back wen I was at school ok in the early 80s used to sell the joeys to the Townies as pets....my bit towards spreading aussie shit around

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    P38, stingray, Skatieguy and 2 others like this.

Also had one as a pet when I was younger.
    My dad shot the mother and found a reasonably old (covered in fur) in its pouch. Made the coolest pet ever, friendly as, was kind of like a cat in that it wanted to climb on everything, but severely lacked the grace of a cat and would knock everything off the mantelpiece.
    My mum used to put it outside at night and would play in the trees and my dad could whistle it back. But one night it went up in the trees and never came back.Probably ended up shooting it.

Fulla
    Yeah we had one. It used to sleep in a sock in a waterbed draw, it's warm in there. It would climb the curtains, still pretty feral. I don't remember it full grown. Probably got shot.

one animal I will shoot on sight -no bloody exceptions. as others have said -theyre feral ,they stink specially the bucks if its rooting season and those bloody claws can really give you a wound to remember.
    forget the whiskey,one pissed out of its tree would be a real friggin headache-
    .22 /12g behavioural therapy is my option
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin358 View Post
    we had one as a pet when we were kids it was very small and we fed it with an eyedropper and milk. Used to climb up our legs and sit on our heads. Hurt like hell. We spent most of our time running away from it
    Same as we had as kids, slept in a box of old magazines in the garage. Bloody sharp claws.
    As Kotuku says, the piss stinks.

My father eventually "liberated" it, well that's what he told my sisters..

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    Same as we had as kids, slept in a box of old magazines in the garage. Bloody sharp claws.
    As Kotuku says, the piss stinks.

My father eventually "liberated" it, well that's what he told my sisters..
    Proabably the same "liberated" as the pet lamb I had (called Lammy or maybe Lammykins, cannot remember exactly).
    Grew to be a quite large, fat lamb whilst with us. M and D said it was set free back on the farm.
    No reason to disbelieve them
    stingray likes this.

Can't really shoot it as we're in a inner city suburb. It didn't show up last night as we had a few people over for BBQ and drinks so maybe too much noise for the little critter. I'll put some grub out for it tomorrow night and see what happens.
    As for the end game it's probably going to get a headache one way or the other, the Council have poison notices nailed to trees in the nearby park so it's not looking good for him.

Mr Timms is the best way to tame a possum if you cant make too much noise.

They are only good to tame as babies and then only so much, my mate had one in central Auckland as a pet (we had cross-bowed the mother). Kind of cute but as Kotuku says the piss stinks something terrible.