Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: Canada and Alaska

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar

Canada and Alaska

Righto team can anyone that has been to Canada or Alaska give me some ideas on what the must see and doís are.
    Itís easy to look through all the glossy brochures but more after real experiences.

We ( Wife and 10 year old daughter) are there for the month of August.
    Flying into Vancouver and driving up and around from Whistler to Lake Louise, Banff down through Kelowna and back to Vancouver. Then on a cruise up to Seaward and on to Anchorage. Planning on Denali national park and maybe Fairbanks.
    Flying to LA do the Disneyland thing then home.

On my list is:
    Northern lights if we can it that time of the year
    Fishing for a Salmon
    Fishing for a Halibut
    Getting photos of Bears and Moose etc
    Visit the Pro Bass shop
    Just seeing wide open spaces not concrete jungles

If you have some must see or do things in those places let me know.

Cheers
    jakewire, Dundee, 199p and 4 others like this.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Pack Creek at Juneau for Brown bears - float plan out there. Simply awesome for bears. We were there in September a couple of years ago. Alaska Bear Viewing | Welcome! | Pack Creek Bear Tours
    I truly hope you are on a small boat cruise like these guys - https://www.uncruise.com/destinations/alaska-cruises

The trains in Alaska are awesome and are a fantastic way to see some country between Seward, Anchorage, Talkeetna, Denali, Fairbanks... highly, highly recommended.
    Anchorage has a Cabelas as well...
    Talkeetna is a cool little town and has plenty to do if you get there - jet boating, scenic flights, etc.
    These guys are certainly off the beaten track but well worth the trip - personalised service, plenty to do and see there as well - Lodging Denali Highway, Denali Park Lodging, Remote Alaska Lodge
    I haven't been to Denali though...
    The arctic and north will be your best bet for northern lights but if they have a good night you will see them much further south. In September we saw them on night on a cruise out of Juneau right low on the horizon. On an October trip we saw them out of Anchorage - need to be lucky with both the lights forecast and the weather though.

I haven't done much in Canada other than to say the trains (Rocky Mountaineer) was not nearly as good as the trains in Alaska. Jasper was a very, very cool place though and I would love to go back. We stayed at the Fairmont in Jasper and it was well worth the extra expense.

The polar bears are on my bucket list... maybe one day.
    Shootm and Scouser like this.
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ/
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

Thanks Simon that’s what I’m after

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hwaqtpnpi...CkKartpPa?dl=0

Not sure if this link will work but if it does and you have any queries feel free to ask.
    Shootm and time out like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hwaqtpnpi...CkKartpPa?dl=0

Not sure if this link will work but if it does and you have any queries feel free to ask.
    Link worked.
    Awesome photos thanks again.

Won't be a problem to jump on a Halibut charter in Seward.
    Anchorage in August the Kings will be running so you can buy a cheap rod at Wal-Mart and fish ship or Campbell creek right in town
    Take a drive out to eagle river,then the back road over the knick river through Palmer and into Wasilla,turn left onto knick goose bay road all the way to the end. Over the airstrip for a great veiw of anchorage from the other side of the turnagain arm.
    Have a pizza at the mooses tooth
    See portage glacier on the way to whittier,stop into girdwood for a look.
    Public transport in ANC is pretty bad so you need a car.
    The list goes on. I lived up there for a few years.
    Shootm likes this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Kenai peninsular is great - a lot to see and a good step off for fishing. For salmon, rent a skiff out of Valdez, very reasonable and good fishing. Homer or the likes for halibut charters. Just south of anchorage is a place you can see sheep which is really cool. Just off the main rd.

Do go to Denali. Polychrome pass etc is worth a look, and you’ll almost certainly see bears. Moose are all over the place. Fairbanks - not a lot to see but the stepping off point for further north, and the Parks highway is a good drive. You’ll be a little early for the northern lights, but never know your luck.

Lived in Fairbanks for 3 years, cam back to NZ about 10 yrs ago...
    Shootm likes this.

Vancouver is nice,China town is worth a look.
    English bay and kits are nice, well over the lions gate bridge to north van and check out the big trees in lighthouse park.
    Take the gondola up grouse mountain and the water taxi back to down town.
    Vancouver is just a big suburb really. Seattle is slot more interesting
    Shootm likes this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    Won't be a problem to jump on a Halibut charter in Seward.
    Anchorage in August the Kings will be running so you can buy a cheap rod at Wal-Mart and fish ship or Campbell creek right in town
    Take a drive out to eagle river,then the back road over the knick river through Palmer and into Wasilla,turn left onto knick goose bay road all the way to the end. Over the airstrip for a great veiw of anchorage from the other side of the turnagain arm.
    Have a pizza at the mooses tooth
    See portage glacier on the way to whittier,stop into girdwood for a look.
    Public transport in ANC is pretty bad so you need a car.
    The list goes on. I lived up there for a few years.
    The loose plan is to stay in anchorage and day trip from there, with maybe a night or two at Denali.
    We are going to hire a car while there and the wife has a cousin in ANC and will take me salmon fishing.
    Halibut from ANC doable?
    Won’t have time at Seaward to do much.

Quote Originally Posted by 7x64 View Post
    Kenai peninsular is great - a lot to see and a good step off for fishing. For salmon, rent a skiff out of Valdez, very reasonable and good fishing. Homer or the likes for halibut charters. Just south of anchorage is a place you can see sheep which is really cool. Just off the main rd.

Do go to Denali. Polychrome pass etc is worth a look, and you’ll almost certainly see bears. Moose are all over the place. Fairbanks - not a lot to see but the stepping off point for further north, and the Parks highway is a good drive. You’ll be a little early for the northern lights, but never know your luck.

Lived in Fairbanks for 3 years, cam back to NZ about 10 yrs ago...
    Roughly how far south to see sheep?
    As above halibut around ANC?
    Denali is definitely on the list of things to do.

Is the zoo any good?
    Also the museum?
    Picking we will get wet days and look for something indoors.
    What sort of temp roughly in August, been told 18-21deg C.

Don’t waste your time in Anchorage, unless you just want shopping - it’s like coming here and hanging around Auckland. Go south to Seward, Valdez Homer Kenai etc. There are halibut charters out of anchorage, but not a good option compared to further afield.

Sheep are only 20 mins out if anchorage if that. Museum is good, don’t think we ever went to the zoo - there’s enough wildlife getting about to need to worry about that! Don’t let wet days keep you inside, it won’t be cold then so you’ll be absolutely fine. A car is almost essential, you’ll see so much more. Rentals aren’t bad at all but sort your insurance at this end - that’s the killer.
    Shootm likes this.

In Vamcouver, If you and the family are feeling fit, do the walk up Grouse mountain (Grouse Grind) at the top watch the free bird show & Lumberjack show then catch the gondola down.
    Shootm likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Regarding Canada.
    Brown bears. Fish Creek at Stewart BC
    If the roads open, you used to be able to drive up beside the Slamon Glacier also at Stewart BC.
    Black Bears. Vancouver Island, used to see a dozon beside the road every time I drove between Port McNeil and Port Hardy.
    Northern BC or Yukon Territory for moose.
    Prince Rupert would have Salmon and Halibut fishing, I think there used to be Halibut Charter out of Hyder Alaska.
    Look on a map, Hyder Alaska and Stewart BC almost share the US Canadian boarder and may offer most of what you’re after.
    https://www.hellobc.com/stewart/thin...-watching.aspx
    Shootm likes this.

Shootm, youíre wife and daughter might enjoy the Aquarium at Vancouver.
    Good option if the weather is lousy.

I wouldnít suggest going much further East than Calgary, unless going all the way to the East coast.
    Nibblet likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    Shootm, you’re wife and daughter might enjoy the Aquarium at Vancouver.
    Good option if the weather is lousy.

I wouldn’t suggest going much further East than Calgary, unless going all the way to the East coast.
    Cool cheers.
    We pretty much have the Canada part sorted land in Vancouver and hire a car, got accommodation booked at Sun city, jasper, Lake Louise, Banff and the wife’s cousin in Kelowna then back to Vancouver for a couple of days. It’s the Alaska part we are still sorting at the moment, but got some ideas on what we are doing there now thanks guys.