Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Cancer

Cancer

Hey guys n girls
    Just a quick note ...Hopefully ill be able get some useful information etc from a member or two

Ill try to get this out as quick as I can (as im welling up just starting to type this out)....
    In the last week or so my wife has been diagnosed with Breast Cancer.
    She found a lump herself and went to the doctor ,he said it was nothing to worry about but got her to have a mammogram did be on the safe side.
    After several scans... mammograms and x-rays and finally biopsy's ... it was discovered the original lump was was infact nothing to worry about and just scare tissue .....BUT they did find another abnormality... and now after meeting with the team of doctors,surgeons,oncologist and plastic surgeons .It seems that she is going to have a "Bilateral Mastectomy" (both breasts being removed) in a few short weeks time maximum .
    And she is to receive radiation treatment and chemo and several other drugs to combat the cancer and reduce the spread.
    We have been told after surgery and once all the chemo and radiation and healing from surgery she will be given breast implants (this could be some year or so journey to get to this point)
    Im not really sure what else to say ? things at home are so upside down and hectic at the moment ,trying to take in all the information we are being told ,the whole impact emotionally on both my wife and even myself so far has been hard thus far ,but I know I have to be strong for both her and our two young children.
    If anyone has any advice etc on how we can both and/as a family tackle this evil disease ..mainly some methods to deal with the stress,anger,down time for the kids, etc that I know im trying to deal with and will be continuing to deal with.
    Im still trying to compute all this in my head ..... so I hate to think how my wife is feeling
    Hope to hear back from you guys

Sean

Sorry two hear that crap news mate,
    I have no advice that I can give you so I'm not going two pretend two, other than keep your spirits up be strong and look two the future.
    Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Load....Action....Instant ....Watch and Shoot! ishoot10s's Avatar
    Sad news Seano. There are those here better placed than I to offer advice about this disease but I can say that some people need space to deal with this sort of thing themselves so just be there when she needs you without being overbearing if you know what I mean. It can be beat and it sounds like her team have a plan so, as Brad said, look ahead. All the best. Ray.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Best advice I could give is be strong, flexible and tolerant. There will be rough times, there will be good times. Hang on to those good times and remind each other of them, and those beaut kids of yours too. Some times you may need to walk away for a bit, but go back and show the love you still hold. Reinforce that you are still there and always will be.

Accept any help that is offered. Don't be afraid to ask for the help of anyone. There are massive networks out there to tap into for help if you need it.

Feeling for you both, I've been though it a few times with family.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

shit mate, my old lady has just been through the exact same thing, not picked up the mammogram.

pm me if you want to chat

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Seano as hard as it may be to accept at the moment both you and your wife really got lucky that this was found early. Hang on tight as there will be a roller coaster of emotions coming for both of you (shock, denial, fear, anxiety, panic, anger, blame, guilt, depression, sadness etc) and each of you may experience differing emotions from one another at the same time which will have the potential to cause increased tension between you both. Your role is to be as supportive and as strong for your wife as you possibly can be. I feel for you both and the really important thing I would say to you is build yourselves a support network so you can lean on friends and family when you need time out. Cancer is a most horrible thing to witness happening to someone. I was with my dad the day that he was told he had it in his brain and despite that experience, I cannot begin to imagine what it must be like to be told you have it.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

seano-cant say much apart from whats been said already but i will say this.if you do need any asisstance,in anyway ,please dont hesitate to give me a call.If you and mum need things tended too to give you some more time together ,well consider it done.our thoughts and love are with you&family at this time.
    ebf and Scouser like this.

Shitty news indeed, you will both come thru ok, it's stressful and hard work at times.
    7 years ago I came down with two types of cancer at the same time, my wife was really stressed out, I run my own business and employ a few people and we had a young 4 year old boy at the time, I was in and out of hospital over a 9 month period, I'm missing a few body parts but otherwise OK.
    You will probably get referred to the Cancer Society, they were bloody good support for my wife and I, I used there shrink and leather couch a bit.
    Hopefully you have family and friends close by for support.
    I had every conceivable side effect when I did chemo but by Christ I was determined to come out the other end. My attitude to life has completely changed. Like the NIKE logo - Just do it.
    We have a friend going thru much the same thing your wife has, she is doing really well, been thru chemo with bugger all side effects except losing her hair, no big deal. She's having the Herceptin treatment at the moment.
    The Cancer Society get a good donation out of me every year, they were tops.
    Good luck Sean, pm me if you want.

Seano, my sincerest thoughts go to you both and your family. Together you can beat this thing.
    mikee and Happy like this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Seano, my sincerest thoughts go to you both and your family. Together you can beat this thing.
    Ditto mate, nothing else i can say really. Words fail me

gutted for you and your wife and family. just take every day as it comes..

Sincere thoughts with you both. Put it out there just ask if you need help in any way. We are a massive family here !!!
    sako75 and Gibo like this.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Sorry to hear this news Seano. One of our closest family friends went through this last year. I know she had a lot of support from the cancer society like 300winmag said. They are the people in the know and will help you both out loads. Also you must realise that there is light at the end of every tunnel no matter how bad it seems now. Our friend is back at work and living and loving life again now.

Shit news mate, all good advice above I think.
    I can only imagine how hard this would be for me and my wife!/family.
    My advice is if you need help ask.
    Ask for help, my failing is not doing that and it leads to all sorts of added stress.

Even if its just asking a friend or family to take the kids for a night.
    ASK.
    gadgetman likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Seano, I know that you and your wife have just been given some very disturbing and challenging news. Medical science has moved on and the therapy that is now available does work sometimes. Don't give up, never let this beat you, there can be a light at the end of the tunnel. Your role is now is to be the best husband ever ,which I' already sure you are. Hold and treasure the good times, support each other thru the grey times and look after the kids. Reaching out is beneficial to the both of you and there is very good professional support out there. Our well wishes to all of you.
    chrome likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"