Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Canned Hunting.....sick shit!!!!!!!!

Canned Hunting.....sick shit!!!!!!!!

Get a load of this sick practise.......

This Saturday in Auckland, New Zealanders will join thousands of other protesters across the world in the first ever Global March for Lions, to highlight the plight of lions caught up in the 'canned' hunting industry.
    Canned hunting is where the animals are enclosed, may have been reared for the hunt (so are almost tame) and may even have been drugged to make them easier to shoot.

According to the Big Life Foundation, an organisation working to establish a holistic conservation model in the Amboseli-Tsavo region of Africa, 75% of Africa's lions have been wiped out in just the past twenty years.
    LionAid, a charity organisation working to protect and conserve endangered Lions worldwide, reports that many nations have already lost their Lions, and Nigeria, Kenya and Uganda predict local extinctions in the next ten years.
    The NGO Campaign Against Canned Hunting (CACH) reports that there are fewer than 4000 lions left in the 'wild' in South Africa, but more than 8000 exist in captivity where they are "bred for the bullet or the arrow." Chris Mercer, a conservationist and the founder of CACH, most recently put the number of 'wild' Lions in South Africa at a mere 2734.

The message of the Global March for Lions is simple, says Shona Lyon, organiser of the Auckland march, "We are asking the South African government to ban canned hunting. And we seek action." Ms Lyon says that, "Lions need to be included on the Endangered Species list, where they rightly belong. The export of lion bones to China must stop, and the import of lion trophies to the United States and European Union needs to be prohibited."

Causes of the Lion's dramatic decline include habitat loss, and human and livestock conflict resulting in retaliation killlings, and LionAid reports that trophy hunting is a "highly significant and immediately preventable source of additive mortality".
    The fact is that the vast majority of lions are not roaming wild across their pridelands but exist in the 160 farms, legally breeding big cats in South Africa, established over the last 15 years. These captive bred Lions are hand-reared and at only a few weeks old their grubby brown fur slips through the fingers of international tourists who pay a modest fee for a cuddle.

As the Lions get past the petting stage, at approximately three years of age, they are selected for release into a larger enclosure for one express purpose - to be killed by a trophy hunter for large sums of money. Male lions donning a substantial mane are the most sought-after trophies and up to 1.5 million Rand (NZD $164,580) can be paid for a white lion.

Chris Mercer of CACH and Paul Hart, the founder of Drakenstein Lion Sanctuary in Cape Town, South Africa, says canned hunting means the mental and physical constraints unfairly prevent the lion to escape the hunter.
    According to Mercer, the majority of lions in South Africa today exist in these farms, often touted as lion sanctuaries. He says that there is "unspeakable cruelty" in the canned hunting and captive breeding process, and that one of the most popular ways to kill a Lion is by arrow, "and this is not a quick death."

Some 2592 lion trophies were exported from South Africa to the United States, and a further 1206 to EU Member States, during 2007 though 2012. Once the trophy head is taken, there is a skeleton to take care of. Karl Ammann, a conservationist and wildlife photographer, reported last year that Asian imports of lion bones and skeletons from South Africa are sold as "tiger bone" to be turned into tiger wine, for China, or tiger bone cake for Vietnam. He states, "We are talking about several hundred skeletons being exported and imported on an annual basis and during our investigations we were told of a three ton shipment about to arrive."

Chris Mercer says that, "thousands of volunteers come from overseas, naively believing that they are contributing to conservation of the species, when in fact all they are doing is enhancing the profits of the canned hunting industry." His Campaign Against Canned Hunting continues, with the Global March for Lions to be held at 55 cities across the world this Saturday.
    Fiona Gordon is an environmental policy analyst and mediator
    Global March for Lions
    Saturday March 15th, 2014:
    1pm at Western Park, Ponsonby, Auckland
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/579873578764398/
    Eventfinder: Global March for Lions - Auckland - Eventfinda
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

As Ive said before Farming animal ensures they do not become extinct! make them a business! but I dont know about eating canned lion
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

This is probably more tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    This is probably more tasty.

Fark, i thought their shit was rare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hows it any different to the closed park trophy hunting here?

+1 On Gibo's comment. And its not like they're in 10 acre paddocks, most of the "canned hunts" are on 80,000-100,000 acre properties. I support it, good way to gurarantee money for lion conservation.

As soon as public marches down the street and facebook anti hunting group likes pay for lion conservation I'll back it. Until then I'll stick on the side of the hunters who put their money where their mouth is.
    EeeBees likes this.

As none of us are likely to know the full story here I will reserve judgement. I've done a little light research before and both sides just seem to issue propaganda. I wonder what number of wild lions would be more healthy?

Who the fuck decided to one bake a tiger bone cake?

Lion farming, i don't see the issue, it is not illegal, it provides funds for conservation and ensures healthy breeding stock and lion numbers to ensure survival of the species.
    Not my thing either, i don't believe it is ethical hunting but it is certainly not illegal.
    But then it follows the rule that it is morally wrong to hurt anything that disney has made a cartoon movie about....

Sent from my RM-915_apac_australia_new_zealand_214 using Tapatalk
    gadgetman and Ryan like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

I know this all a matter of personal opinion, but could ANYBODY on here do it.....?

In South Africa, the Minister of Environmental Affairs, Mr. Marthinus van Schalkwyk, recently announced new laws to stop the practise of "canned hunting" in his country. South Africa environment minister announced long-awaited restrictions on lion hunting, declaring he was sickened by wealthy tourists shooting tame lions from the back of a truck and felling rhinos with a bow and arrow. This comes in response to the embroglio created over the potential canned hunt of the African rhinoceros 'Baixinha'

Dismissing threats of legal action by the hunting industry, Marthinus Van Schalkwyk said the new law would ban "canned" hunting of big predators and rhinos in small enclosures that offer them no means of escape. In addition, lions bred in captivity would have to be released into the open for at least two years before they could be hunted. Van Schalkwyk said a previously proposed six-month delay would not give lions enough time to develop self-defence instincts. "Hunting should be about fair chase ... testing the wits of a hunter against that of the animal," he told a press conference. "Over the years that got eroded and now we are trying to re-establish that principle."

So if we decided that luon skun handbags and luon steaks were in fashion would we still have an issue with someone farming them for this industry? We do this to hundreds of other species and no one bats an eyelid.
    Suddenly because it is being shot everyone is up in arms.
    Asking if we would do it on here is kind of like preaching to the choir, most on here would consider themselves ethical hunters, as u have stated, it woukd definately not be my thing.
    However because i don't think longlining is a very sporting way to fish, it doesn't mean no one else should be able to do it.
    Most of the followers of this campaign have never been to africa let alone know how the hunting industry works there. You can't argue with them either as its all about emotion to them, reason never enters the picture...

EeeBees and Maca49 like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Sorry about the typos, stupid autocorrect.

Not my activity of choice personally but it's a free market, someone has something to sell (lions) and someone has the money to buy them (people who want trophies). I mean, in Cambodia you can pay money to shoot a cow with a RPG. I don't see anyone jumping up and down about that.
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".

I think your Lion and can't spell!
    Munsey and Spudattack like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    I think your Lion and can't spell!

😜

Thanks SA, that is the opinion i share....it is the ethical hunting 'ethos' (without sounding too high & mighty about it).....i would be ashamed to admit to somebody that the 'trophy' mounted on the wall in my house came from a 'canned hunt'

I still cant get my head around a 'Hunter' wanting to do this and feeling proud of his 'kill' at the same time......... "Hunting should be about fair chase.....testing the wits of a hunter against that of the animal"