Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 6 Post By gadgetman
  • 3 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By Nibblet
  • 1 Post By berg243

Thread: Caravan transport ideas

Caravan transport ideas

Hey team,

I've scored a caravan up in Auckland, ( I'm in CHCH) its Length without Drawbar 366cm With Drawbar 440 cm Wide 198 cm and Height 230 cm, so let's be honest it's not massive. But he issues are, internally it's been guttered, still has internal frame, but I think it lacks structural strength from the walls and other fittings, and no WOF.......so driving down has some inherent issues,

The caravan is an awesome little thing made in the 60's actually made here in CHCH, my sister bought it, had it sent to Auckland then has run out of space and energy........I just need to get it back to CHCH

So two options,

I drive up and put in some wooden cross bars etc and drive back with the view of getting it WOF as soon as possible

Or

Get it into a container and freighted down?

It's quote when it was still in one piece to get it from CHCH to Auckland was just over 1100, just thinking there must be a cheaper way of getting it back??
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    I appreciate & respect differing views, I greatly value the benefit of good conversation around differing opinions & respect points of view contrary to my own, however when you’re a belligerent self-opinionated obnoxious troll like individual, +1 to the ignore list

I would be more inclined to check out car carriers or if you are dragging it back use a car transporter trailer or trailer frame. That way you are not risking it with wof / rego issues. Do you know anyone with a flt deck truck. It only needs a deck of 2.7m and it should fit. Looks a beauty.

Would be great if there was a car carrier service I could use!!! Its got a fair bit of work and repainting, it had a leak some where in the roof, hence the gutting of the inside, and t going to be an interesting job re lining the inside, but first hurdle is getting it back here
    I appreciate & respect differing views, I greatly value the benefit of good conversation around differing opinions & respect points of view contrary to my own, however when you’re a belligerent self-opinionated obnoxious troll like individual, +1 to the ignore list

can you have the inside reinforced and put a trailer light bar on back, if chassis bearings and tyres up to standard then you could getaway with towing it as long as it does not need wof reg for ferry?

I have a transporter here if you want to use it. Could maybe do something combined with Toby shoot mid next month.
    Tertle, Munsey, Nibblet and 3 others like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy79 View Post
    can you have the inside reinforced and put a trailer light bar on back, if chassis bearings and tyres up to standard then you could getaway with towing it as long as it does not need wof reg for ferry?
    This was what I was thinking of doing as apparently chassis and wheels are fine?

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I have a transporter here if you want to use it. Could maybe do something combined with Toby shoot mid next month.
    I will give you a call later

If you do the sums $1100 is pretty cheap to get it there. Fuel, ferry crossing, accomodation, not to mention the three to four days driving. But combine it with the Toby shoot as gadgetman says and bring some interesting shooty stuff and it could be the holiday of a lifetime. Plus you bring your own accomodation.
    Tertle, Munsey and Nibblet like this.

Ejected
    The ferry alone will set you back around $700 return for a Ute towing a caravan or $1100 odd for a truck between 2500-3500 kg 7m long.

Definitely be worth while looking into freight options. Chuck it on a train?
    Tertle likes this.

see if someone could brace the insides and put on the rail would probably be the cheapest option.otherwise a holiday up north repairing enough to use for a trip around then bring it home with you a new wof and rego as new shouldn't be to exspensive .crossing the ditch probably the biggest cost.

It would get lost on rail??
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    It would get lost on rail??
    Probably loose the whole thing, but if it was dismantled and packed in courier bags at least most of it would get there

you could ring nelson car deliveries I had a Kubota trencher bought down from nelson he does nelson Christchurch but he has contacts for other runs he had someone else bring the trencher from chch to invers from memory he charged about $700 total jeffs said $1100 plus gst for delivery.other way would be the ship from palmerston north to chch if it still running we had work vans sent on it years ago was cheaper than us driving them up to Jaffa town for work.
    Tertle likes this.

Mate....Check this out. $900 freight from China to your door and it can carry 6 ton in the bucket..and in 19 days no less...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/6000...536813739.html

On a more serious note, try some of the car carriers or caravan companies to see what they can do, but Gadgetmans suggestion of doing some of the repairs to get it road worthy if you are up that way anyway could be worth looking into.