Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Knives Africa Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Carrying a firearm while traveling

Carrying a firearm while traveling

So I'm heading to the South Island for a month or two and I was looking forward to chasing some rabbits. Called the arms officer and asked how do people secure their firearms in their vehicles whilst travelling. His reply:

"The firearms code states that you must not leave your firearm unattended in a vehicle, if you do and it gets stolen that is criminal negligence and you'll lose your licence"
    He went on to say park it where you can see it. Going to the toilet is questionable, going to a movie would be unforgivable. A caravan is a vehicle.

Anyone got any actually helpful advice on how to secure a rifle in a vehicle? What do you do? Can anyone give better direction than this?

Sent from my WAS-LX2 using Tapatalk

SGR
    I've wondered the same thing . My understanding is you can't really do it

What sort of vehicle is it? This is the "grey" area we have been talking about here that needs better wording in the act.

This is a difficult subject,(Google Richard Lincoln who took his rifle to the toilet with him when he left his vehicle.)

I have often wondered about the best way to do this.

Thinking about it just now, it occurs to me that if you have to go to the toilet or stop for a meal, that leaving the rifle in the car, hiding the ammunition separately and keeping the bolt and mag in your pocket is about the best that can be done, short of installing a safe in your vehicle.

If you do have the rifle stolen you can then say that you tried to the best of your ability to ensure that it would not be able to be used.

Overall,this situation is difficult, impractical, and makes little or no allowance for travel with a firearm. The thought of stopping overnight at a motel raises other questions: Leave the firearm in the car or take it inside ?
    Feather or Shoot and Steve123 like this.

Dont advertise the fact that you are a shooter ie bumper stickers etc, pack the firearm in such a way its not visible. Remove and carry with you an essential part.
    Take sensible precautions so that your vehicle is no more likely to attract attention than any other.
    This may get picked on but crossing cook strait dont tell them you have firearms, did that once handed it over to the purser as i was instructed to do then spent a nervous 2 hours in picton trying to locate it. It was suggested to me that in future say nothing just like all the camper vans and people with gas bottles.
    ebf likes this.

Even if you do put a safe in the vehicle is mobile and therefore won't be approved...

Common-sense has to come into play, as has been said hide it well or use a length of chain and a couple of padlocks from the trigger guard to a bolt/ loop on the vehicle. Taking bolt and mag with you makes life much harder for the scum bag that does steal it

Taking an integral part is sensible but what if you are travelling with more then one firearm? It's impractical to suggest wondering around with heaps of bolts on you while you go to the toilet etc.

I say this because i will be in the very same situation in a couple of weeks. We are camping on a relative's property down south and i will be keeping firearms locked in our car, not in our tent! They will be on or near us most of the time but there is no "safe" for me to put them in which is exactly the same situation for all the hunters who go stay at a hut or whatever.

There are some situations you simply can't lock your guns up or if you do it's in your vehicle.
    Feather or Shoot and john m like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Even if you do put a safe in the vehicle is mobile and therefore won't be approved
    Unless you are police in a police car because they have lockboxes for their firearms and from what I have witnessed leave their vehicles unattended at times

What rifle?
    Maca49, buell984, Steve123 and 3 others like this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out." -

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Unless you are police in a police car because they have lockboxes for their firearms and from what I have witnessed leave their vehicles unattended at times
    Correct but it isn't good enough for Mr average forearms holder.... I went down this road and was willing to spend considerable money of safe / immobiliser of vehicle. Having talked with a few members of the police and arms officers I gave up on he whole idea

What about couriers that carry firearms ? Bet those vehicles get left unattended from time to time, not to mention are couriered firearms stored in a safe at the depot ?
    buell984 and Cordite like this.

The vehicle is either a ute or caravan. Was considering a small concealed safe in the caravan, but it looks like that's out.

Sent from my WAS-LX2 using Tapatalk

I know several people with camper vans and caravans that travel frequently with firearms. They have concealed gun safes in their vehicles. There are a couple of things to remember; firstly, if you ask the Police you will usually get a negative answer regardless of the subject, secondly, you legally own your firearms and you are legally entitled to travel with them for hunting, competition, or work. Sadly, the Arms Act provision for travelling with a firearm in a vehicle is very poorly thought out and written. The short answer is we have a right of total freedom to travel about and stopping for meals, fuel, etc. is totally normal and necessary. Out of sight, out of mind!

What if I drive this?
    Guess I'm fecked then
    Name:  IMG_0312.JPG
Views: 281
Size:  125.0 KB
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    What about couriers that carry firearms ? Bet those vehicles get left unattended from time to time, not to mention are couriered firearms stored in a safe at the depot ?
    On each delivery!
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.