Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Knives Africa Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Carrying a firearm while traveling

Damn straight @gundoc

I have or have had firearms that break down enough to fit in a nondescript sports bag/day pack. The bag went everywhere I went. No need to worry about leaving it in a car or having an obvious gun bag while walking around.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    I have or have had firearms that break down enough to fit in a nondescript sports bag/day pack. The bag went everywhere I went. No need to worry about leaving it in a car or having an obvious gun bag while walking around.
    AR15's are good for that. The Ruger PC Carbine that @greghud reviewed looks like it would be a starter as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    What if I drive this?
    Guess I'm fecked then
    Attachment 100786
    No not really. You'd just defecate and pee in the thing, just as the crew would when they come under heavy fire...

Some questions you just don't want answers to.

Take a 'take down' gun and get a comfortable backpack etc to put it in. Then you and your rifle can go to the movies and nobody has a panic attack, and you break no laws.
    Feather or Shoot likes this.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    Take a 'take down' gun and get a comfortable backpack etc to put it in. Then you and your rifle can go to the movies and nobody has a panic attack, and you break no laws.
    Don't know about break no laws with that one.
    Trouble is I want to go shoot loads of rabbits and don't have a take down rifle

Sent from my WAS-LX2 using Tapatalk

Put a small expanding plug in the barrel, hopefully, if stolen it will be fired without checking and may deter further thief's!! Remember to take the fooker out before you do, funny I always check my barrel before the first shot
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

if you are rabbit shooting around christchurch theres room in my safe for a few days
    Feather or Shoot and 40mm like this.

The critical factor is that the firearm has to be in your possession and under your control. Locked in a car while you sleep beside it would probably qualify. Locked and out of sight in a car while parked beside a toilet facility and you go into that facility is also likely to be considered to be in your possession and under your control. If short and sweet. If that is the case, then the security of the firearm being inside a locked vehicle would most reasonably meet the standards required under the Arms act.

Leaving the firearm unattended would not. A parking lot in town while in the mall would not. A movie would not. Living in a camper van while the rifles are in the cupboard and you have then under your control is likely to be fine. Leaving them in the camper van while you are fishing up the lake is not going to be fine.

Seems ironic but a takedown in a backpack in the mall would most likely be meeting the legal requirements, but in the current environment it wouldn't be great to be observed carrying that.

Yes the law is an ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    The critical factor is that the firearm has to be in your possession and under your control. Locked in a car while you sleep beside it would probably qualify. Locked and out of sight in a car while parked beside a toilet facility and you go into that facility is also likely to be considered to be in your possession and under your control. If short and sweet. If that is the case, then the security of the firearm being inside a locked vehicle would most reasonably meet the standards required under the Arms act.

Leaving the firearm unattended would not. A parking lot in town while in the mall would not. A movie would not. Living in a camper van while the rifles are in the cupboard and you have then under your control is likely to be fine. Leaving them in the camper van while you are fishing up the lake is not going to be fine.

Seems ironic but a takedown in a backpack in the mall would most likely be meeting the legal requirements, but in the current environment it wouldn't be great to be observed carrying that.

Yes the law is an ass.
    So you just have to decide one thing: How good am I at carrying a gun and keeping it 100% concealed? Well, can you, Punk?

If you don't have gundoc's vehicle safe option, I recommend a padded guitar case, you get them with shoulder straps too. A wee Christian fish badge on it will help too. Or a case for hockey sticks, fishing rods, astronomy telescope, etc etc etc. No law against carrying a rifle in a non-rifle case. The trick is not to even raise the thought of a gun, so don't wear high-vis orange or camo either. Don't dress like a hunter, as hunters don't usually carry hockey sticks, and maybe not that commonly guitars.

In other words, no bare guns, and no gun cases, carry either around doing your usual business and you have an equal risk of getting held up - and that not by the local biker club or mobsters.
    Feather or Shoot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    A wee Christian fish badge on it will help too.
    I dunno whether to laugh or cry. How many people have I met wearing that kinda stuff. Carrying a big leather bound bible in the other hand and a wearing a goofy smile will scare just about anybody away.
    Feather or Shoot and Sideshow like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    I dunno whether to laugh or cry. How many people have I met wearing that kinda stuff. Carrying a big leather bound bible in the other hand and a wearing a goofy smile will scare just about anybody away.
    They were actually probably gun nuts on vacation who are really good at acting

GravelBen and Max Headroom like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Feather or Shoot View Post
    Don't know about break no laws with that one.
    Trouble is I want to go shoot loads of rabbits and don't have a take down rifle

Ask your arms officer if that is legal. make sure you tell him you want his answer in writing, so it had better be accurate. (politely of course as they are from my experience good people)
    Use enough gun

Shit, I just carried my rifle into a bakery and a piss shop at lunch time the other day. Was parked about 5 meters away but all the shops windows were covered in propaganda (so my van would not be visible)
    Iv been told by some guys that I am mad doing so and that I should have left it in the car or planned my day better.

I don't plan to go strolling around with a rifle, but if during the course of my day I happen to be hungry and I have a firearm with me, I wont go hungry or inconvenience myself just because some people are ignorant/scared about firearms.
    And I dam sure am never going to break the law and put my treasured licence at risk by leaving my guns in the car.

I do what is legal and until a police officer hands me a written piece of paper telling me otherwise I will continue to go about my daily business as normal.

Cross your T's and dot your I's and all will be fine.
    gadgetman and Cordite like this.
    Use enough gun