Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Chainsaw Advice

Chainsaw Advice

Iím getting frustrated with my current chainsaw, which is an Oleo Mac. Iím thinking about shelling out for a Stihl, just need some advice from those in the know of which model I should get.
    I use it mainly for felling trees for firewood. My current saw is ok on the pine but struggles on harder timber like kanuka, which I have a lot of. Itís a 16Ē bar, I wouldnít want smaller, could go bigger.
    The oiling system on the Oleo Mac is crap, blocks all the time and I end up replacing the bar every year or so. Is the Stihl oiling system good?
    More meplat, more better.

Stihl oiling system works great, never had a problem with my older Stihl.
    The oil flow is adjustable with a turn of a screw and I always leave it on high.

I had an Oleo Mac and absolutely loved the saw. Took it into the Still shop to get a service and when they reassembled it they put the muffle back on crocked. Hot gasses leaked out and burned through the oil tank. Under extreme protest I accepted a Stihl as a replacement. Regret the decision every time I pick up the Stihl. Its hard to start, and the trigger on it is so heavily sprung that after an hour of hard use you have a blister on your finger. The Stihl stays in the shed and I always grab the old Dolmar now.
    tetawa and rewa like this.

MS441 is a good balance of power and weight.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Just brought a Stihl 181 after running a Ryobi for ten years and it was a struggling ten bloody years.
    I only use it once a year but what a difference. The Ryobi was all I could afford at the time. Took it in for a tune up and they laughed at me! Said narh not worth touching. So took it on the chin brought the 181.
    Well just finished my firewood for this year and what a difference. Yep agree with @diana2 the oil screw is brilliant.
    Good grips and easy access to the petrol and chain oil filling caps. The plastic lid is a little well plastic but keeps the saw light.
    Starting is good even when cold. Cuts well dry and wet wood no worries. Went through a huge old oak kitchen bench six foot by three by four inches thick no problems cut into half foot squares.
    My Dad always ran Stihl's so I lean that way. But year don't do a ten year struggle if you can now afford a better saw.

Hope this helps

Edit: I've not noticed a hard trigger on mine even after two days of solid cutting.
    takbok likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

mine is stihl working
    rewa likes this.
    Use enough gun

Id would go for a Stihl mate only because i use them every day at work (Arborist) Ive used Huskys before but just find them a bit clunky.
    Depends how much you want to spend ? I love the 046 but you will have to shell out $2000+ and might be a bit overkill for Kanuka.
    If you have a local mower and chainsaw guy that is really good at servicing them , go with him over the Stihl shop. I find they charge more and provide a shitter service.
    A friend of mine had a new Stihl he picked up the other day , was smaller then the 046 but had heaps of grunt. I will find out what it was.

I love my Stihl it's a 026 with an 18" bar, bought second hand 25 years ago. My mate and my brother both run Solo saws bought from Wrightsons they have both been good saws. I don't know much about the new sthils but I hope the plastic is just to make them lighter.
    Micky Duck likes this.

yip something 025-026 will be spot on...Ive got two of them one is 20 plus years old and goes like rocket and eats whatever fuel its chucked the other is 4 years old....didnt like being fed 2 stroke at double oil...but shop soon sorted out my cockup. it has quick chain adjust which is ok but prefer the old method better as it doesnt come loose as often...the ergo start is absofrigginlutely brilliant,the other feature of new saw thats great is chain brake hooked up to rear handle trigger (bit your palm depresses) you let go of handle and chain stops dead.....its a little annoying when sharpening till you remember about it. I got a 20" bar on mine but have gone back to 18" spare one as couldnt be faffed buying new chain and to be honest the diference is nothing....anything too big for that gets whacked with the big saw but its got to be pretty large to be too much for 18" bar.
    Sideshow, rewa and 2post like this.

nope the plastic on all the saws is crap.have a husky 45 that's nearly 25 years old just wont die and a 660 stihl and just got an ego battery saw for little jobs. if you use a saw a bit the farmboss range are a bit more heavy duty and the easy start is ok once you get used to it.

hard wood requires a different angle of sharpening on the chain to cut effectively regardless of saw
    7mmsaum likes this.

What They said... I still have my first saw (041AV) stihl, pre-chain-brake, and it still goes strong. My go-to, is an 025(plastic-fantastic), and an older 034 for big stuff. My favorite saw was a dolmar 115i, 15yrs of hard work till the electronics died. I also like the little cheap-as Ozito's, mine hasnt missed a beat, two years of hard work, after a bike-accident that prevented lifting a heavier saw.. Oleomacs are a bit like Ducati's, when they go good........................they're good...

I have just been using the latest model stihl 261 CM and rate it highly.
    It's way lighter than the old 026 and with the auto tune should provide years of trouble free service.
    Stihls have pretty well got every thing right as running 4 saws of the latest models from the 880 down to their biggest battery saw which punches way above its weight.
    The 251 stihl would be a good choice for non commercial use.
    Happy chainsawing!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Ive got a Still 290 at the moment, had several other stills,041, 054, 270 ?, no problem other than running one over, with a D8,
    husky 55 are a good general purpose saw as well, who is your local saw agent, what do they have, and how are they to deal with. Support and parts are important, esp if you use a chainsaw quite a bit.
    If you can afford it, a professional grade saw, will be far superior to any general purpose/farmer/home handy man, grade. Ive got access to a 241 at work, and mate has a 261 still, real nice and lots of grunt.

If time is on your side wait for a good second hand one.
    I looked for a while and got a MS362 from cash converters for $800. Pretty much new, the muffler was hardly even discoloured from use!
    That saw is a pain for pruning but mean for firewood.
    Use enough gun