Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zimmer

Thread: Charging batteries

Charging batteries

I have got some 12v 12ah batteries. When going away hunting (fly in) I take one and a fluro inspection light (Repco or Supercheap) which lights up the hut for a week.

During the last power outages that lasted 2 nights I hooked up a couple of lights around the house and gave the neighbour one as well.

I have got 5 12v 12ah batteries I want to keep fully charged.
    Can I connect all the +ve terminals and all the -ve terminals in a line, have a solar charger (picture below) at one end and a 5w automotive bulb at the other end?

Name:  solar charger.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  13.3 KB

I take it that is a 5W charger? I'd go for LED light but basically yes you can hook up the batteries in parallel. I'd opt for LED light as more efficient.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Yup, sure can.

If you do some more study/reading/tinkering, you can go to LED bulbs - easily 5x the light for the same power

Hooking up batteries in parallel is not really recommended ( ................................................. space for all the replies that say they have done it)
    Unless the battery specs are exactly matched and even then the same batteries may have slightly different internal characteristics due to maybe being older or some such. What happens is you get circulating currents between the batteries. The higher charged units discharge into the lower charged and then see saw back the other way until all are flat. With charging you maybe can prevent this happening by having blocking diodes but then your charger must be capable of overcoming the additional volt drop (.6v) across the diode in order to have charging current flow. And distribution of charging current across the batteries may not be equal again due to internal differences - ie oxide build up.
    Gerbs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Hooking up batteries in parallel is not really recommended ( ................................................. space for all the replies that say they have done it)
    Unless the battery specs are exactly matched and even then the same batteries may have slightly different internal characteristics due to maybe being older or some such. What happens is you get circulating currents between the batteries. The higher charged units discharge into the lower charged and then see saw back the other way until all are flat. With charging you maybe can prevent this happening by having blocking diodes but then your charger must be capable of overcoming the additional volt drop (.6v) across the diode in order to have charging current flow. And distribution of charging current across the batteries may not be equal again due to internal differences - ie oxide build up.
    If the batteries are the same type the issue is minimal/negligible; a lot of vehicles come like this set up from factory. Once connected there will not be any circulating currents but the maximum charge will be determined by the worst battery. It is more of an issue with 24V vehicles where the batteries are in series. They are virtually never the same capacity and over time one ends up with a higher voltage and they end up toast. They need to be taken out and charged separately every few months.
    Calcium batteries can be recovered much better.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Hmmm, might rig up 3 batteries and see how they go.
    I figure by running a low wattage light would help to keep them in good shape

I'm not the brightest light when it comes to electrics etc. Thanks for the advice.